Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid-West Training? I35/I80

Mid-West Training? I35/I80

Just wondering if anyone has any experience training in the midwest. There are a couple of trainers in the area that put on classes, but I'm hesitant to say the least. Some websites state they are prominent Cowboy Action shooters (not my cup 'o tea, each their own though), some seem like hooah-tards recently out of the military and all gung-ho (nothing wrong with that, but I want well thought out proven training, not regurgitated army doctrine, I'm brainwashed and bad habit scarred enough).

I'd like to find that middle ground, strong emphasis on accuracy yet with a speed and tactic minded approach. Something a little more advanced than NRA Basic Pistol but not quite LAV's advanced pistol, a happy medium ya know! I know which way the bullets come out, I know my manipulations, I also know that I know just enough to know I don't know enough!

I live just a mile or 4 north of the I35/I80 intersection. I'd be more than willing to travel a few hours, say KC or Twin Cities or Quad Cities. I don't see the little lady buying into me spending ~$800+ on a training class and have to drive 10 hours + round trip. I fight the battles I have a chance to win.

Anybody have any tips, or instructors I should look up?
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

I am in the twin cities and will be interested in the responses you get.

I took a handgun I class here:

http://www.thedefensiveedge.com/

It was a decent fundamentals class. Haven't taken anything else, but they offer a lot if different types of tactics classes. They are north of the twin cities though, and a bit of a haul from Iowa.

You could try and contact Ben Stoeger (google him). He offers USPSA/IDPA specific classes, but he is a cop. Maybe he'd set something up for you. He is south of the Twin Cities.

Don't know how I missed your reply, thanks!

I've looked at some trainers from MN, around Morristown. But after watching some videos of their training I find it a little too mall-ninja for me.

The Twin Cities are about a 3 hour drive for me, not out of the realm of possible, my parents live 3 1/2 hours from me now!

Thanks again.

Anyone else have any knowledge of trainers in or around IA?
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Bring out Failure2Stop.
    #RESIST

That is something I have considered, bringing in a known quality trainer.

Problems:
    Local fudd range I belong to. We do have USPSA and Steel Challenge shoots, but it is a trap/skeet range primarily.
    We currently only have one 100 yard bay, but 4 more 50 yard bays are in the process and should be shootable by july.
    Cost, convincing local people that the cost/benefit is worth it (to me it is, but convincing others might be hard)
    New member at the range with a very old, crusty membership that is hard to sway from their paths
    Scheduling, being able to find an available weekend where we could essentially shutdown more than 70% of the range if not totally shut it down

I know that I may seem a bit defeated with those issues, but they're real issues that would be hard to overcome.
    I've never undertaken a thing like this, and would need some serious help in the logistics involved.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

If you bang the drum on local and nationwide forums and get the bodies, let Failure2Stop coordinate with the range.
    #RESIST

Ever check out Brownells Training Group? I just checked their schedule and they have several courses scheduled through November. The classes are held at the Big Springs Shooting Complex in Searsboro, IA.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetScienceOfShooting View Post
    Ever check out Brownells Training Group? I just checked their schedule and they have several courses scheduled through November. The classes are held at the Big Springs Shooting Complex in Searsboro, IA.
    Thanks for that tip!

I've heard of and thought about Controlled Chaos, as a shooting buddy highly recommends them. Timing is iffy with them due to my busy social schedule (little lady won't let me skip a wedding for training) and guard schedule (seems every planned class is on a guard drill weekend).

There are a couple classes in that schedule that should work, now to talk to some buddies and get a group of 2-3 to go take the class with. Thanks!
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Might be a bit far for you to drive but the guys at TDSA-Tulsa are very good.

http://www.tdsatulsa.com/

I highly recommend their AP-1 pistol class, and their carbine class.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Might be a bit far for you to drive but the guys at TDSA-Tulsa are very good.

http://www.tdsatulsa.com/

I highly recommend their AP-1 pistol class, and their carbine class.
    Thanks but a ~12 hour drive would be pretty tough on the training budget.

I do like the sound of their training though.

These damned cornfields keep the fudds happy, but not too many training options! I'll be talking to some buddies and I think we'll have something figured out pertaining to at least one class this summer.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

User Tag List