Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Cordless Battery Powered Lawnmower

RFI: Cordless Battery Powered Lawnmower

I am in the market for one currently, have little experience with anything other than decades of using gas powered. Without going into details, I really do not want another gas powered mower for various reasons... so please no 'Just buy a gas mower' recommendations.

That being said, I would much appreciate any input you could offer. The yard is small 1/4 acre, featuring exclusively St. Augustine turf grass that would ideally be cut at around 4" every 10 days or so. We get lots of sun and rain here during the summer, so this stuff is heavy duty turf.

Thanks in advance!

Site Supporter
    I live in a typical Northern VA townhouse with a tiny yard, but a yard nonetheless. For 15 years, I mowed with a corded electric mulching mower that did its job well other than the hassle of managing a cord while mowing. I would still be using it, but it needed a new blade that was proprietary to that mower and unavailable after so long.

The year before last, my parents bought a Kobalt (Lowes) 80v bagging mower (and the matching chainsaw) for their roughly 1/2 acre yard. They use it for areas where the riding mower doesn't work well or when the riding mower is out of commission for some reason. After hearing my mom sing praises for this mower, I bought one myself when they went on sale at the end of last season. 80v is overkill for my needs, but it was cheaper than the 40v version at the time (and cheaper than anything other than a used mower, that was a helluva sale).

It does a fantastic job for my little yard. I also have the matching weedeater (also purchased on deep discount after the season was over). I can mow and weed whack the front and back yard on one battery. For a 1/4 acre, I'd probably need two batteries, but my mower came with two (and the weedeater came with 1). Kobalt also offers larger capacity batteries (up to 3ah with the default being 2ah).

It's also very quiet, even quieter than the corded mower it replaced. The only downside is that it is heavy compared to the old corded mower. This is due to the battery, the steel deck (corded mower was plastic), and clippings bag. Nothing unexpected though...

I'd buy it again at the price I paid. At full price, I'd probably go for the smaller and lighter 40v version mainly because it's cheaper at full price and more in line with my actual needs (in size and capacity).

If you don't need one right now, I'd wait until this Fall to see what Lowes puts on clearance. I paid less for my mower and weedeater combined than the mower alone goes for right now.

ETA: My front yard is roughly 10'x25' and my backyard is about 15'x30'.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 09-08-2019 at 11:28 AM.

We had one of the very first Black & Decker ones, so this info is dated.

We loved it. They have (had??) less power than a gas mower, so you don't want to try and plow into tall wet grass, etc. We had a small yard but with a lot of obstructions, so ditching the cord really reduced the hassle. No putting Stabil in gas, no oil changes, no futzing with carbs or air filters.

electrics have come a long way.
    I just recently picked up the discontinued craftsman electric mower for $200 at lowes, and I'm going to say it does the job, if I don't let the lawn get too high or run the deck too low. Best part is I can mow without muffs on, and I don't have to crank my headphones too high. One down side I did discover with this one is, the charger is painfully slow. It'll need overnight to fill a flat battery.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 09-08-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Almost bought this one this year but im working too much so I kept my yard crew.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-i...2101/206515766
    They also have a complete line of yard tools that run off the same battery
    https://www.homedepot.com/s/ego?searchtype=text&NCNI-5
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Kobalt 80V

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I live in a typical Northern VA townhouse with a tiny yard, but a yard nonetheless. For 15 years, I mowed with a corded electric mulching mower that did its job well other than the hassle of managing a cord while mowing. I would still be using it, but it needed a new blade that was proprietary to that mower and unavailable after so long.

The year before last, my parents bought a Kobalt (Lowes) 80v bagging mower (and the matching chainsaw) for their roughly 1/2 acre yard. They use it for areas where the riding mower doesn't work well or when the riding mower is out of commission for some reason. After hearing my mom sing praises for this mower, I bought one myself when they went on sale at the end of last season. 80v is overkill for my needs, but it was cheaper than the 40v version at the time (and cheaper than anything other than a used mower, that was a helluva sale).

It does a fantastic job for my little yard. I also have the matching weedeater (also purchased on deep discount after the season was over). I can mow and weed whack the front and back yard on one battery. For a 1/4 acre, I'd probably need two batteries, but my mower came with two (and the weedeater came with 1). Kobalt also offers larger capacity batteries (up to 3ah with the default being 2ah).

It's also very quiet, even quieter than the corded mower it replaced. The only downside is that it is heavy compared to the old corded mower. This is due to the battery, the steel deck (corded mower was plastic), and clippings bag. Nothing unexpected though...

I'd buy it again at the price I paid. At full price, I'd probably go for the smaller and lighter 40v version mainly because it's cheaper at full price and more in line with my actual needs (in size and capacity).

If you don't need one right now, I'd wait until this Fall to see what Lowes puts on clearance. I paid less for my mower and weedeater combined than the mower alone goes for right now.

ETA: My front yard is roughly 10'x25' and my backyard is about 15'x30'.

Chris

I have the Kobalt 80V too. Bought late fall 2016 used, still in box (not used, but previously purchased).

We have predominately Bermuda grass here, which is thick, but when dry, as in when dew dries, it mows and bags easily. When the crab grass comes in, it does not mow well, it is heavy, always wet, and does not bag well. I have had no problems with the mower. As I remember, the reviews for the 80V were very good, the 40V not so good. Maybe that has changed.

Light and pushes easily- my kids can push it and they help me mow (8,10,11)
    Quiet
    Charges quickly, one battery runs about 20-30 minutes depending, and I mow/walk quickly. While using second battery, first one will charge.
    Keep blade sharp, mow when dry and it does well. Add to that probably mow often. But it is easy, so it's not a big deal.
    If wet, tall grass, forget it it will not mow well or bag well. (well, you can raise the deck, but then that means probably two passes...)

Kobalt 80V self propelled.
    I liked mine so much that I bought my elderly parents one and they love it.
    Super convenient with zero maintenance required from season to season.
    Mine has been used a LOT over the past two summers since my 16 year old boy has been using it 3 or 4 times a week in his "lawn mowing business".
    Catch them on sale after Labor Day and you can buy one at a huge discount.
    Last edited by JodyH; 09-08-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    As I remember, the reviews for the 80V were very good, the 40V not so good. Maybe that has changed.
    Interesting. I just assumed the 40v would work well within its intended use parameters (ie yards like mine).

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Kobalt 80V self propelled.
    That makes 3 positive votes for the Kobalt 80v line.

FWIW, the 80v weedeater and the 80v chainsaw work great. I have the weedeater and it'll handle anything I'd use a weedeater for as well as making use of a large variety of attachments for straight shaft weedeaters. My parents have the chainsaw and I personally used it to cut down and cut up 4 trees ranging in diameter from 4" to 10" and heights up to 30'. I used a lot of battery (roughly one battery per tree to cut down and cut up each), but it did the trick. If you don't regularly use a chainsaw, it's a low maintenance and low noise alternative. If I didn't already have a small gas saw, I'd buy one of these (I mainly use mine to cut up downed trees for firewood at hunting camp).

I want the blower next. I don't need one often, but having to drag out the extension cord makes me use it less often than I would otherwise.

Chris

Kobalt 40v here. Mine works fine and hasn't had any issues in the 3 seasons I've owned it. I mostly mow with a rider but use the cordless on the front yard and side yard to take it easy on the grass there. I tend to let the grass get long and I mow it high (I think 3.5" is the highest the 40v will mow). The mower hasn't had any trouble cutting the grass.

My experience with the Kobalt 40v began a few years ago when I bought their 40v pole saw. I have trimmed numerous hunt club roads with it and various other uses around the house with never a hiccup. I looked hard at the 80v but owning both the 40v pole saw and chain saw made the choice easy. If starting new I'd probably go 80v.

Another happy Kobalt 40v owner. I've only had it for a few months but no problems yet. I've also got a Kobalt weedeater and leaf blower which are funning fine. I'll probably buy more of their products as time goes on.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List