Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock n Roll casualty who becomes a war hero

Rock n Roll casualty who becomes a war hero

For any grunge/rock fans. Interesting article (20 min read) about a guy kicked out of Nirvana AND Soundgarden who joins the special forces. Kind of the Pete Best of they grunge generation (for you all under 30, Best was kicked out of the Beatles)

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/m...rmans-war.html

Yeah, I remember reading that a few years ago and thinking it was interesting/neat.

^^^ditto
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

See, Junior, you CAN get a real job.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

He’s now in a band with a former Delta soldier and a couple other prior service guys called “Silence and Light”.

I'd seen that before also, always a good read.
    That's some long odds to be in and out of 2 bands that would become so huge. But then again he was definitely in the right place at the right time with the grunge craze.
    Of course if you look at where Cobain and Cornell ended up vs where he's at, maybe it's a blessing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I'd seen that before also, always a good read.
    That's some long odds to be in and out of 2 bands that would become so huge. But then again he was definitely in the right place at the right time with the grunge craze.
    Of course if you look at where Cobain and Cornell ended up vs where he's at, maybe it's a blessing.
    Most likely. All those deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq with SF, and he still got shot in the face one less time than Cobain. Alanis was right.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Most likely. All those deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq with SF, and he still got shot in the face one less time than Cobain. Alanis was right.
    Well now I'm going to hell for laughing at that, thanks a lot [emoji41]
    In retrospect Cobain seemed destined for suicide, supposedly he talked about it from a young age. The sudden huge fame, drug habit, physical issues, and contentious marriage certainly didn't help.
    Cornell is the one that really bugs me. He seemed to be aging well, a family man, still plenty of talent, and then he's just gone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Well now I'm going to hell for laughing at that, thanks a lot [emoji41]
    In retrospect Cobain seemed destined for suicide, supposedly he talked about it from a young age. The sudden huge fame, drug habit, physical issues, and contentious marriage certainly didn't help.
    Cornell is the one that really bugs me. He seemed to be aging well, a family man, still plenty of talent, and then he's just gone.
    While both are sad, I agree with your assessment. It’s a fine point, but one is "27 club" stuff, and the other is Robin Williams stuff. At 52, one would hope to have stuck a truce with one’s demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    "It's like rai-ee-ain....

User Tag List