Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dot gets shot

Funny and sad. Glad nobody got hurt from the various ricochets possible.

Would love to see some details on the the gun and mount used. One fo the few things Ive always felt goofy about was the limited number of threads engaged when mounting an RDS to something like the Glock MOS platform. This is double true if anyone chooses to mount with screws cut to length vs just getting the correct screw length.
    Last edited by TAZ; 09-08-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Think I mentioned before that at a match we had a strange set of new shooters, that dressed like Dads from Leave it to Beaver, they were led by their minister who tried to boss even the SO around as he knew it all. Holsters were Uncle Mike-ish soft crap. One Dad had a laser/flashlight mounted. On his first stage, he draws - the laser/light falls off. The light goes to strobe and the laser come on - it's a disco.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Think I mentioned before that at a match we had a strange set of new shooters, that dressed like Dads from Leave it to Beaver, they were led by their minister who tried to boss even the SO around as he knew it all. Holsters were Uncle Mike-ish soft crap. One Dad had a laser/flashlight mounted. On his first stage, he draws - the laser/light falls off. The light goes to strobe and the laser come on - it's a disco.
    You've obviously never been trained on "Strategic Tactical Distractions" or STD's if you're in the know... The Tango is befuddled by the light show while you double tap his ass.

Huh. I wonder if that would happen if he had been using a Suarez slide and RMR. Hmmmm...

Cool points if he'd seamlessly transitioned to irons and stayed in the fight.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
    Huh. I wonder if that would happen if he had been using a Suarez slide and RMR. Hmmmm...
    I just wonder how both screws managed to strip out. Even one functioning screw should hold it onto the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what gun he was using, but I'm wondering if it was a stock Glock MOS with the factory plate?

Site Supporter
    Per the comments in the video, the gun was a Shadow 2 on a CZ Custom mounting plate.

A few thoughts:

1) I have had dots fail multiple times on stages, in a match, and I just carried on without a dot. I have a vague recollection that Jim Wall, of Milt Sparks, won a single stack match shooting his 1911 with no sights, just a slide. This video would have been even cooler, if the competitor finished with his slide, rather than stop and unload.

2) both the red dot and the mounting system are failure points, and those of us that have been doing the red dot thing a while have seen both. My buddy, Rich, had a RMR come off a MOS 34 and hit him in the head. A strong M class CO guy had the Springer plate, along with the attached DP Pro, come off his X5 on a stage at the Magnus Cup. Direct milled is obviously preferable as it eliminates one possible failure point, and there is a reason that Gary Roberts has been advocating direct milled installations for LE or EDC use for as long as pistol mounted dots have been out there. An issue with a MOS style system is you can’t see what is going on with the mounting plate without removing the optic. At least with the X5 style system, you can verify tightness of the plate mounting screws from underneath the slide.

3) we have been exchanging great information in this sub forum with a minimum of emotion, and I hope we can lead all of PF with our signal to noise ratio.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Stripped threads on CZ Custom plates have been a known occurrence when screws are over-tightened. I believe that a mod here has had that happen.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List