Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On WA state I-1639 compliance: how the good and brilliant deal with this shit. :D

Talking On WA state I-1639 compliance: how the good and brilliant deal with this shit. :D

WA state P-F'ers; do this online course. You will be eligible for buying "semi-auto assault rifles" (eg. Ruger 10/22, 1918 Browning SA-22) again in just a couple of minutes, unless you get pulled in by a few of the youtube vids they posted along the way, as I did.

Everyone else, you should "take the class," if only for the brilliance and entertaining satire, as well as the info on how we got here ("here" being the recipients of what is largely regarded as one of the more restrictive gun control initiatives in the US, last year...), and what's coming in other states. Plus, the downloadable 'cert at the end is one of the best 'certs you can currently get in a gun class; suitable for framing, IMHO.

Seriously, this dealership in Vancouver, WA wins the internet for July 2019.

Check it, if you have a minute:

https://sporting-systems.com/free-1639-training/

EVERYONE: if you really are pissed at the current NRA/WLP/Marion/videogamlawguy/et al., please, please consider sending this year's donations to:

https://www.gofundme.com/1639-legal-defense-fund

"Gun Rights Organizations to support in Washington

Second Amendment Foundation has 30-40 lawsuits pending at any given time, they fight nationally but are leading the 1639 challenge locally and fought with the NRA to defeat 1639.

This GoFundMe has raised over $100,000 to fight 1639 at the ballot box and is now solely focused on supporting the legal effort to take down 1639 piece by piece.

Local Gun Shops and Ranges that are actively in the fight, testifying in legislature, producing pro firearm videos, raising funds and rallying for Pro 2A causes"

https://sporting-systems.com/
    https://www.sharpshooting.net/
    https://www.rehvarms.com/
    https://www.anniesjewelryandpawn.com/
    https://washingtonarmscollectors.org/

WA state may have been thrown under the bus by a handful of billionaires and a kind-hearted, but woefully under-educated voting public, but that doesn't mean that *everyone* won't benefit from parts of this law getting put in the dirt by lawsuit action and the courts.

Buy an intern an apartment for a month, or help unscrew this lame-ass lightbulb in WA state. Simple, really.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I should add that no state/gov entity gets the certificates or class record. Just a gun store that gets it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Heh, that's awesome!

But does it meet the legal requirement? 1639 reads:

"The training must be sponsored by a federal, state, county, or
    municipal law enforcement agency, a college or university, a
    nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms
    training, or a firearms training school with instructors certified
    by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers
    firearms training. The proof of training shall be in the form of a
    certification that states under the penalty of perjury the training
    included the minimum requirements"

The closes match seems to be "or a firearms training school with instructors certified
    by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training."

From their website, it isn't obvious that 'Sporting Systems' is 'a firearms training school', or that their instructors are certified by blah blah.

On firearms issues, I tend to be a worrywart, i.e. I imagine myself being prosecuted by a politically ambitious Seattle D.A. who is also a member of the local Moms Demand chapter. Quibbling about whether the class I took meets the requirements seems like an avoidable risk. If I take a 1639 course I'd want whoever is giving it to clearly be 'a firearms training school' and to have instructors that at least say they have NRA or whatever certification.

(Heck, I have NRA certifications, I should open a school!)

ETA: if Wayne could stir himself, clearly the NRA is a 'nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms
    training' and could do a free 1639 course. I'd volunteer to teach.
    Last edited by whomever; 09-07-2019 at 08:29 PM.

ETA: if Wayne could stir himself, clearly the NRA is a 'nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms
    training'
    Mostly, the NRA isn't interested in squashing 1639 type legislation or any legislation that requires training. That be the business the NRA is in. That and selling carry insurance to the newly minted permit holders after they are trained.

The NRA is a turn-key organization.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    'training' and could do a free 1639 course. I'd volunteer to teach.
    NRA policy has always been that it will not get involved in mandatory training for legal requirements.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    Heh, that's awesome!

But does it meet the legal requirement? 1639 reads:

"The training must be sponsored by a federal, state, county, or
    municipal law enforcement agency, a college or university, a
    nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms
    training, or a firearms training school with instructors certified
    by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers
    firearms training. The proof of training shall be in the form of a
    certification that states under the penalty of perjury the training
    included the minimum requirements
    "
    When you get your certificate, the course instructor’s name (from the store) and NRA instructor # is on it. He also explains that he got approved by the state to offer the course.

Moreover, there are no records kept by the state, or any requirements to turn in a certificate. The law (as quoted above) requires only that you check a box on a new state form swearing under penalty of perjury that you have taken a "class meeting the requirements under RCW blah blah..."

I filled out the new form today, for a purchase unrelated to long guns. I was told by my LGS that people are already buying semi-autos in WA state, using this course to fulfill the letter of the law, as written.

The Washington Arms Collectors.org/ is doing testing at shows, free for members, no help for those on the East Side of the state. (Although they have been trying to sponsor, or co-sponsor, shows on the East Side for years.)
    The F•A•S - The Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc. has a class, $50, and you get a certificate for $50 off a class at the end. I actually thought this one was good, although the requirement is utter BS.
    Last edited by Drang; 09-07-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Ranch and Home in Kennewick is offering free classes (through Practical Edge shooting -- which is a good outfit with mostly police instructors).
    I've also seen local classes offered over here further east for $25 -- so the price is creeping down. I did see an article in the Skagit Valley Herald that said that the Sedro-Woolley PD actually offered a free class.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    NRA policy has always been that it will not get involved in mandatory training for legal requirements.
    NRA training meets the 1639 requirements. The NRA may disassociate themselves by stating that they are not specifically training to meet any mandated requirements, but when I read something like this, I think you're GTG.

....a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or a firearms training school with instructors certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training.
    I think all they mean by their policy is they won't give you a cert that says you have met the 1639 requirements.

These new laws in WA have become the butt of many jokes in the shooting community. This is one of them. When someone gets prosecuted for using an online course to purchase and they get acquitted, it will prove just how ridiculous this law is. The voters of WA have lost their freakin minds.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-08-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Not really relevant for WA, but way back when, I got a OR license and the NRA Personal Protection Handgun course met the requirement for the mandated training.

User Tag List