Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2019 weapon lights are mandatory....convince me otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Vickers said most untrained people shoot low left, which is exactly where you're at with an FBI hold.
    Not only that, but consider the environment where a headlamp is going to be worn. There have been some murders in our national and state forests nearby, I can think of three in the past 16 years. As far as the local subdivisions, I can't even remember a burglary, let alone a violent crime.

(That doesn't mean we don't prepare...)
    Last edited by blues; 09-09-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Pistol mounted lights are far from mandatory, especially for CCW use. The real world need for a pistol light for CCW is near absolute zero. The real world need for pistol mounted lights in police work is vastly less than most people think.

Searching with WMLs is shitty tactics. It works a lot with long guns because team use. How many people have an entry team backing their move?

Modified FBI technique works. Fact.

My latest data point is one of my former rookies, our new county sheriff, who took a bullet through the forearm just below his flashlight at the start of a close range ambush. He credits modified FBI technique with saving his life.

Over my years working with Strategos and running low light FoF drills I've taken Sim rounds directly into the lens or bezel of my handheld light about a dozen times. As Craig Douglas notes in his most excellent AMIS class "Lights draw vision, lights draw fire".
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Vickers said most untrained people shoot low left, which is exactly where you're at with an FBI hold.
    So which FBI hold we talkin’ about? I just chose some random YouTube video to get an idea what that was and the one I watched was presented by USCCA who showed 4 or 5 different techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In 2019 weapon lights are mandatory....convince me otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Pistol mounted lights are far from mandatory, especially for CCW use. The real world need for a pistol light for CCW is near absolute zero. The real world need for pistol mounted lights in police work is vastly less than most people think.

Searching with WMLs is shitty tactics. It works a lot with long guns because team use. How many people have an entry team backing their move?

Modified FBI technique works. Fact.

My latest data point is one of my former rookies, our new county sheriff, who took a bullet through the forearm just below his flashlight at the start of a close range ambush. He credits modified FBI technique with saving his life.

Over my years working with Strategos and running low light FoF drills I've taken Sim rounds directly into the lens or bezel of my handheld light about a dozen times. As Craig Douglas notes in his most excellent AMIS class "Lights draw vision, lights draw fire".
    So, take it he had his arm extended upwards and outwards holding his flashlight?

Last edited by corneileous; 09-09-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Soon take it he had his arm extended upwards and outwards holding his flashlight?

Yes
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Yes
    Well, that right there is why I no longer have a flashlight mounted to any of my guns except for the 10mm that goes out in the woods. Don’t reckon I’ll ever have to worry about anything 4-legged shooting at me. Lol.

So, take it he had his arm extended upwards and outwards holding his flashlight?

Generic image from the google:

And a good example of application of the technique from Will Petty:

Well, that right there is why I no longer have a flashlight mounted to any of my guns except for the 10mm that goes out in the woods. Don’t reckon I’ll ever have to worry about anything 4-legged shooting at me. Lol.

In George's world I'd likely have a light on my Glock 20 or USP .45

Charlie don't surf, bears don't shoot.
    www.agiletactical.com

I can't understand anyone wanting a WML or having much interest in tritiated sights.

Sure, have 'em if you like, but from my perspective they're either an unnecessary encumbrance (WML) or a superfluous expense that requires replacing every 4-10 years. (I bought into the advertised concept of tritiated sights being a "necessity" for a few years before recognizing how very limited their genuine usefulness was, and I've had them dim out in as short a time as 4 years.)

In 35 years of (non-LEO) CCW I've never yet used nor wished for a WML.

I do have one (old tech incandescent, not LED, change the batteries regularly) on my bedside security-holstered G21, because in our little house, anything that goes loudly "bump in the night" won't be my wife or kids (who are long grown & gone), but in my AIWB- or hip-holstered sidearm?

Nah.

YMMV, etc.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post

And a good example of application of the technique from Will Petty:

Will is displaying excellent form in that pic.

I've been in pretty much that same position several times during barricade drills when my light took a hit.
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List