Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2019 weapon lights are mandatory....convince me otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    This all the way. The current state of the social media "EDC" gun is insane. Folks will do anything and put everything on their gun because it makes them look Operator AF.

WML? Check
    Ported slide? Check
    Aftermarket barrel that has some porting or dimpling on it? Check
    Punisher Skull somewhere on the gun? Check

The list goes on.

What people have been convinced they need to have and what they actually need has so little overlap as to almost be two seperate circles in the venn diagram of the two. Designer guns are all the rage, but the guys shooting them still can't manage better than a 10" group at 5 yards. That's okay though because "Combat Accuracy".

I agree with this nearly completely.

It is fair to equate social media influence today to what, about 15 years ago when everyone (figuratively ) tried to mimic or utilize the cool guy gear they read about it monthly gun Magazines and the like.

Spread of info in many ways - regarding safe gun handling, personal marksmanship and effective speed with your carry gear imo has been a net positive of this info surge, even if the needed mod list has gotten out of hand

Check my Ig for multiple videos of me splitting cards with my 92g, lighting matches with bullets etc.... so not everyone has let their “combat accuracy” degrade.
    Last edited by Duke; 09-08-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    This all the way. The current state of the social media "EDC" gun is insane. Folks will do anything and put everything on their gun because it makes them look Operator AF.

WML? Check
    Ported slide? Check
    Aftermarket barrel that has some porting or dimpling on it? Check
    Punisher Skull somewhere on the gun? Check

The list goes on.

What people have been convinced they need to have and what they actually need has so little overlap as to almost be two seperate circles in the venn diagram of the two. Designer guns are all the rage, but the guys shooting them still can't manage better than a 10" group at 5 yards. That's okay though because "Combat Accuracy".
    Well, there are plenty of disconnects on the webz. I can't speak to what goes on at facebook, twitter or instagram because I have no memberships at any.

For all the grumbling about how LEOs can't shoot and aren't gun guys...the guys who are out there actually having to draw their weapons, (under pressure), and decide "shoot / don't shoot" in a fraction of a second are those very LEOs who allegedly can't shoot and aren't gun guys.

Frankly, this "analysis" notwithstanding, whose advice or experience should be taken more seriously? The 50,000 post expert who has never had to draw his firearm against a threat...or the one facing the potential threat on a daily basis?

You decide.

(Personally I try to filter out all the hot new girl hype. It managed to be good enough for 20+ years while working, and continues to be a reliable method of deciding what is worth making changes for going forward. I make changes from stock reluctantly and only after being able to articulate the basis.)
    Last edited by blues; 09-08-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

WML Mandatory On My Handguns? No.

Mandatory on handguns? No, not even in 2019. Too darn big, anyway.

Nice to have, at times? Yes, such as on a home-defense G17.

I managed to survive plenty of building searches, while night-shift big-city-LEO-ing, without a WML. I had used an X200 WML, when it suited me, until somebody on the command staff realized that WMLs existed, and then BAM; WMLs were forbidden.

Actually, WMLs were studied to death, and, eventually, years later, WMLs were allowed, on handguns, but only if one attended a specified training class, too few of which were ever posted to train nearly everyone.

Notably, the PD’s firearms rules applied 24/7/365, except in our own homes, and on private property under our personal control.

Now that I am retired, and can use a WML, if I want, anywhere I choose, well, they are too big for concealed carry, under most cover garments, making an already-blocky weapon larger and blockier. As for AIWB with an WML affixed, well, forget it. A bare Glock is all I can stand AIWB, and even then, not for very long.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-08-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

Now that I am retired, and can use a WML, if I want, anywhere I choose, well, they are too big for concealed carry, under most cover garments, making an already-blocky weapon larger and blockier. As for AIWB with an WML affixed, well, forget it. A bare Glock is all I can stand AIWB, and even then, not for very long.
    Plus, WMLs are hard to attach to GPs and Gemini SPs. Don’t forget that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Two words. Duct tape.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    True. Same with my Speed Sixes, S&W 64-2, and Les Baers.

Love my herd of Surefire hand-held lights, mostly LX2 Digital Lumamax.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Two words. Duct tape.
    hose clamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    hose clamp?
    https://www.themakogroup.com/clearan...nd-rifles.html
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Name:  7FCD9F44-6CEC-4785-9389-E9EB322B950B.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  29.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Out and about with a handgun there is usually enough ambient light to identify a threat without a light. (But always have a light, regardless.)
    For me, my environment is a factor. I am more inclined to carry a WML when I’m in a rural environment, where ample ambient light may not be present and I’m less concerned with concealment. When I have to go to the city, ambient light is more available and concealment is more important so I carry without a WML. I always carry a light in my pocket, regardless.

When I’m on my property, a rifle is the tool of choice and I’m less concerned about any legal issues from identifying a potential threat with my WML.

User Tag List