Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2019 weapon lights are mandatory....convince me otherwise

In 2019 weapon lights are mandatory....convince me otherwise

Title says it all. Tech has evolved. Kydex is everywhere for about anything you want.

I’m 50/50 in the daily carry of a weapon light. Ive Used both handheld and weapon lights in the shoot house/FOF

I fully understand weapon lights are not admin or general search tools and I always have a handheld with ringring/lanyard. That said I’d much rather point a gun with a light at something, asses it is not a threat and stop pointing my gun at it than to proceed in the darkness of no PID

For sure....it will get dark before you’re in a known safe area so, discuss

If your pistol has a rail - for you - is a weapon light mandatory ?

Nightstand gun...yes.

EDC...no.

Tom Givens provides a well reasoned discussion of the topic. (Not that it had any influence on my personal decision...just referencing it for those who might want to look into it.)

ETA: I thought we were only talking handguns. If we are including long guns, my rifle and shotgun each have lights.
    Last edited by blues; 09-07-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I would never point a pistol at someone to determine if they were a threat. I would use a hand held light and be ready to use my pistol if necessary.

My Shield has a Lightguard (with laser) mounted. It's my go to pocket/NPE/casual carry gun. I mainly got it for the laser, but the light is a good option, and it breaks up the outline a bit in the pocket.

My bedside/ things that go bump gun is a CZ Evo with brace, optic, and flashlight.
    My AR has a bracket for the light from the CZ.

My 1911 doesn't, but I usually only tote that during daylight hours.

I don't think a light is mandatory on handguns, but it's nice to have if not inconvenient.
    Long gun is a bit different, as it doesn't make things inconvenient to have one.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    If your pistol has a rail - for you - is a weapon light mandatory?
    Nope. My daily carry is a PX4 and a Microstream. However (comma, pause for effect) my nightstand gun is an M&P40 with a TLR-1. I like having one hand free if needed, and there's enough spill that I don't have to point my muzzle at someone to get positive ID in my house. If there's a bump in the night outside my house, I plan to not see what it is if my family is inside.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I would never point a pistol at someone to determine if they were a threat. I would use a hand held light and be ready to use my pistol if necessary.
    People do weird shit when they’re provoked......especially in groups.

It’s quite likely a non combatant could find themselves running toward your already drawn blaster....while ignoring your commands (if you had the presence of mind to make any clear enough to be observed) and while not showing their hands

Let’s say you just toasted someone in their immediate vicinity. They’re doing the above, charging you.

It just happens you’re in front of the last place they knew to be an escape route and they don’t actually realize it was you shooting someone.

This very thing was a scenario in a purposely overcrowded FOF class not long ago I was in.

A lot of folk got Guns pointed at them. Most didn’t get shot needlessly.

I’m not saying you’re wrong about. I’m just saying “never” is pretty hard to quantify in a mass confusion style fight.

Again. Not advocating weapon light and gun point as the way do to it....in several cases though I saw it just happen.
    Last edited by Duke; 09-07-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    So what is the point of the WML?

Carried a wml on duty for years.

Don't anymore.

Don't carry wml off duty either.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Carried a wml on duty for years.

Don't anymore.

Don't carry wml off duty either.
    Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....on-CCW-Pistols

There’s 13 pages on this from four moths ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List