Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between type G and type F Beretta storm PX4

Differences between type G and type F Beretta storm PX4

Calling all Beretta fans…

Being that all three of my storms used to be type f’s when they were new and that now that they have all been converted to type g’s, what’s the difference between a loaded and chambered type F that’s off safe with the hammer up in DA mode and a type G- all that other stuff? Aren’t they pretty much just the same pistol- which yes, I know, they’re not the same pistol because the decocker lever doesn’t stay down in safe position on the G like it dues the F but that aside, they’re still pretty much the same, right?

I emailed Beretta a while back before I converted all of mine just to ask them that very same question about what the difference was, to just more or less figure out if I really needed to convert my pistols, and if I could just carry them with the safety off and get the same result. They of course said no, that the type F’s – since they have a safety, that they are meant to be carried with the safety on.

I fully understand why they wouldn’t answer a question like that because you’re basically asking them – the manufacturer, if it’s OK to carry one of their pistols in a fashion that it wasn’t designed in. I was just asking if they were still in the general sense, the same pistol as to which they wouldn’t even answer that and kept telling me that they won’t be same pistol because one has a safety decocker and the other one is just decocker only.

I’m not looking for justification on doing the type F to type G conversions as I like my pistols be type g now, I feel real comfortable with them and after reading here on the forums about the double action shot on the first round, I really need to practice that because before, I wasn’t real crazy about that first double action shot which is why I always started out with the hammer pulled back. But now that I know better, I feel even safer with them but still, this thread is just simply for curiosity and if anybody else is wondering the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    , I know, they’re not the same pistol because the decocker lever doesn’t stay down in safe position on the G like it dues the F but that aside, they’re still pretty much the same, right?
    Yes.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

They of course said no, that the type F’s – since they have a safety, that they are meant to be carried with the safety on.
    Practically nobody carries a DA/SA pistol equipped with a safety, with the safety engaged (in a holster - folks may throw them in a purse or bag with the safety on), unless they are required to by their employer.

I've primarily been a 1911 guy for the past 30 years, and spend a bunch of time on 1911 forums, but I started my auto pistol shooting with S&W DA/SA autos with the same safety/decocker as the Beretta PX4F and 92FS. It's been painful over the years trying to convince a "Cocked and Locked" crowd who constantly complain about DA/SA pistols with the "slide mounted safety" that "moves the wrong way" and is "difficult to reach" and is "not a natural movement" that that really shouldn't matter much since the primary function is as a decocker and not as a safety. However, the feature is there and can be used as a safety when the gun is not in your hand or holster for added safety.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Practically nobody carries a DA/SA pistol equipped with a safety, with the safety engaged (in a holster - folks may throw them in a purse or bag with the safety on), unless they are required to by their employer.
    I'll admit, there are probably bunches of CZ and HK (and perhaps others) folks with DA/SA pistols that carry their DA/SA pistols in SA with the safety engaged, "Cocked and Locked". Carrying in DA mode, with the safety engaged, is not common.

What's in a letter?

Calling all Beretta fans…

Being that all three of my storms used to be type f’s when they were new and that now that they have all been converted to type g’s, what’s the difference between a loaded and chambered type F that’s off safe with the hammer up in DA mode and a type G- all that other stuff? Aren’t they pretty much just the same pistol- which yes, I know, they’re not the same pistol because the decocker lever doesn’t stay down in safe position on the G like it dues the F but that aside, they’re still pretty much the same, right?
    When you convert a PX4 type F to a type G the only initial thing to change is that the decocker lever does not stay down. No other functions change.

When people refer to "converting" to type G they usually mean that they removed the detent ball and spring from the left lever shaft. This will stop the levers from staying down. If this is how you converted, there is no change. It would be as if you decock, put it on safe and took it right off safe immediately.

If you converted to type G by using Stealth or Carry levers that do not have the curved blade on the right lever, then when held down you would not have a deactivated trigger.

Another big difference that many people like is that a type G functions the same as a type F with the safety off... but if it get accidentally bumped on a belt, garment or misplaced finger, it cannot accidentally get put on safe without your knowing it. If the lever got bumped it would spring right back up.

For more on how all the PX4 parts interact, you could look at this thread, https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....art-do-and-how

This is Ernest Langdon with a 92FS explaining the "FS" beginning about the :40 mark. The exchange at about the 2:00 mark to about the 2:40, where he explains carrying the "FS" (safety/decocker gun) with the hammer down and safety off, is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db8t-f54Im0
    Last edited by JTQ; 09-09-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Yeah, one of the things I found out about my Storms was that in either configuration, the gun is pretty-well drop-safe and will only fire unless the trigger was pulled- meaning that whether the hammer was pulled back or not and dropped- landing on the hammer, that it won’t fire. Which is what helped convince me that it’d be safe to convert.

But even if the gun was thrown in a bag or whatever, I would still feel safe with it virtually always being ready to go because as long as the hammer isn’t pulled back, I consider it pretty safe with just the 10-pound, long trigger pull between that and a ND.

I've primarily been a 1911 guy for the past 30 years, and spend a bunch of time on 1911 forums, but I started my auto pistol shooting with S&W DA/SA autos with the same safety/decocker as the Beretta PX4F and 92FS. It's been painful over the years trying to convince a "Cocked and Locked" crowd who constantly complain about DA/SA pistols with the "slide mounted safety" that "moves the wrong way" and is "difficult to reach" and is "not a natural movement" that that really shouldn't matter much since the primary function is as a decocker and not as a safety.
    Good point. I really wasn’t crazy about the reverse-operation of the safety lever. I’m sure Beretta probably isn’t the only one to do that but they’re the only ones I know of. Even the safety’s on my Sig 220 10mm and on my little Ruger LC9S are up safe, down fire.

However, the feature is there and can be used as a safety when the gun is not in your hand or holster for added safety.
    True, and even since before I converted when I figured the gun was still practically the same whether the safety was off, or now that it doesn’t have one, I still feel petty good treating the gun just like a double-action revolver that has no safety.

Good point. I really wasn’t crazy about the reverse-operation of the safety lever. I’m sure Beretta probably isn’t the only one to do that but they’re the only ones I know of.
    There are millions of guns that have used the same style of safety/decocker as Beretta. The Walther P38/PP/PPK/etc., all the S&W Traditional Double Action (TDA) autos, Ruger P85/P89/P90/P95/P97/P345. It is not currently a popular design feature, but in the history of semi-auto pistols it is an extremely common design.

There are millions of guns that have used the same style of safety/decocker as Beretta. The Walther P38/PP/PPK/etc., all the S&W Traditional Double Action (TDA) autos, Ruger P85/P89/P90/P95/P97/P345. It is not currently a popular design feature, but in the history of semi-auto pistols it is an extremely common design.
    So in other words you’re saying that it’s not uncommon to have a pistol with a safety-decocker to have that down-safe, up fire action? That’s good to know. I just figured that’s how those Italians designed the gun. Lol.

But after thinking about it, that does actually make better sense to pull the lever down with your thumb to decock it rather than having to push it up.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    When you convert a PX4 type F to a type G the only initial thing to change is that the decocker lever does not stay down. No other functions change.

When people refer to "converting" to type G they usually mean that they removed the detent ball and spring from the left lever shaft. This will stop the levers from staying down. If this is how you converted, there is no change. It would be as if you decock, put it on safe and took it right off safe immediately.

If you converted to type G by using Stealth or Carry levers that do not have the curved blade on the right lever, then when held down you would not have a deactivated trigger.
    I thought about converting mine like that but since in my mind that would generally be considered a “modified” pistol, I didn’t wish to go that route because I didn’t want any of my storms to be just that- that’s why I bought the three 45-dollar type-G stealth-lever, decocker only kits from Beretta.

But I guess in light of what you said, how differently does the pistol work if you choose the modification method of the type F lever as to actually converting to a type G with the proper kit?

Another big difference that many people like is that a type G functions the same as a type F with the safety off... but if it get accidentally bumped on a belt, garment or misplaced finger, it cannot accidentally get put on safe without your knowing it. If the lever got bumped it would spring right back up.
    Yeah, that is kind of nice to know it won’t do that.

For more on how all the PX4 parts interact, you could look at this thread, https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....art-do-and-how
    I think I’ve glanced a time or two at that thread but man, there’s a lot of information in that discussion....lol.

User Tag List