Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2019 weapon lights are mandatory....convince me otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    For me, my environment is a factor. I am more inclined to carry a WML when I’m in a rural environment, where ample ambient light may not be present and I’m less concerned with concealment. When I have to go to the city, ambient light is more available and concealment is more important so I carry without a WML. I always carry a light in my pocket, regardless.

When I’m on my property, a rifle is the tool of choice and I’m less concerned about any legal issues from identifying a potential threat with my WML.
    Makes sense to me.

There are no lights where I live, (but from the homes), so when I walk the dog at night, up our forested gravel road, it's with a headlamp on. Makes it easier than having to hold the lead in one hand, a flashlight in the other. With the headlamp it doesn't matter if my handgun has a light or not.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Makes sense to me.

There are no lights where I live, (but from the homes), so when I walk the dog at night, up our forested gravel road, it's with a headlamp on. Makes it easier than having to hold the lead in one hand, a flashlight in the other. With the headlamp it doesn't matter if my handgun has a light or not.
    My backcountry gun doesn’t have a WML, because I’m wearing a headlamp most of the time.

Site Supporter

In 2019 weapon lights are mandatory....convince me otherwise

Last spring, my wife, kids and I were returning home, with me and the kids going in the front door of the darkened house, believing my wife was behind us. When I entered the house, I heard a noise coming from the kitchen. As I listened and prepared to respond however may prove to be appropriate, my wife ran out to try to scare us. She had run around to the back door for that purpose.

If I was not a firm believer in ALWAYS identifying the target, a stupid choice paired with a second bad choice could have led to a tragic outcome.

I ALWAYS have a handheld light, and that will never change. However, as better lights and better IWB holster options become available, there will be lights on my carry guns, starting with s Nightstick compact weapon light on the G19 I was carrying that day. I want as many possible ways to avoid a negative outcome as I can have.

Unfortunately there are few options for weapon lights and weapon light accommodating pocket holsters for my preferred pocket guns. We are still a long way from always having a way to have a weapon light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 09-08-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

To the OPs question, No I don’t think it is mandatory or necessary in the slightest, for all of the many salient points that have been made by some experienced people and LEOs.

I also think the OP addressed and covered that we are not talking about misusing the WML and have a handheld for all admin tasks.

I am on the side of if the bulk does not hinder you in anyway, then why not. It does not hurt you to have it.

Ssb perfectly sums it up in the below quote.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    My EDC handgun is also my primary HD tool. I like having a WML on it for the HD role. I do not like unloading/reloading the handgun on a regular basis, which would be required to safely install/uninstall a WML: in my view, more administrative handling = more opportunities for me to be inattentive or negligent.

Because I have a holster/light combo which allows me to conceal a WML-equipped pistol with comfort, I leave the WML on all the time. If in the already-unlikely event I'm drawing in a public place where I need the PID capability, great, it's there if I need it. If I don't need it, I still get a couple extra ounces at the muzzle to keep muzzle rise down.

In no way do I view it as a mandatory addition to my EDC gun, as the real world opportunities for it being necessary are on a very distant part of the bell curve. I'm carrying it solely because there's no consequence for not doing so and I gain the benefit of not having to screw with my gun.

Even though my eyesight has degraded in the past few years, I think I can evaluate a threat with an X300 without flagging it.

Site Supporter
    Having not read the entire thread, I see distinctions being made between a concealed carry gun and a home defense gun.

I have occasionally had a need to search in a location other than my home. In most cases the likelihood of finding someone who belonged there was much higher than the likelihood of finding someone who did not belong there. The best option was keeping the light out and gun holstered and concealed.

However, if you enter your home and then find indications that someone may be there who does not belong there, your concealed carry gun just became your home defense gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Even though my eyesight has degraded in the past few years, I think I can evaluate a threat with an X300 without flagging it.
    THIS! You can search at the low or high ready and use ambient lighting for illumination.

Site Supporter
    Uniformed duty use Surefire X300U absolutely. I work dogs so a weapon mounted light with pressure switch is necessary. Even during day shift clearing indoors it is necessary.

Off duty not so much but always have a handheld 600 lumen available.

My backcountry gun doesn’t have a WML, because I’m wearing a headlamp most of the time.
    My experience is that a headlamp illuminates the rear sight and back of the gun, while making the front sight invisible.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A WML on a handgun doesn’t interest me for use with people, but for moose and bear, a WML is very handy. Especially if you might have a leash in one hand.
    Exactly this! I think most people think in the context of city, suburbia etc... There is absolutely a need for a WML in the country. Creatures run fast and it is so dark where I live you can't see your hand in front of your face. I also like having a WML because then I have spare batteries with me for my flashlight in case they die, which they do. I also like WML for extra muzzle weight. To me they have a use for more than just lighting up what you are shooting at.

User Tag List