Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Wilson Commander XTAC .45

New Wilson Commander XTAC .45

Just received this one. I ordered it in April, and Wilson sent it to my dealer earlier this week.

As far as I know, it’s one of a kind (Well, it was until Wilson came out with the Supergrade version). There was some discussion between WC and my dealer on how to order it exactly— Wilson ended up writing it up as a XTAC Pro Elite, substituting a Commander slide, with an aluminum frame upgrade.

First new 1911 I’ve ordered that’s not been a 9mm in a while.

Options:

- Commander slide
    - Aluminum frame
    - .45 ACP
    - Naked slide (other than WC logo)
    - Naked bushing
    - Ameriglo front sight
    - Square rear battle sight
    - FDE frame, black slide
    - 3-hole trigger
    - ball cuts
    - XTAC RCS and front strap treatment
    - Round-butt mag well
    - serrated top of slide
    - serrated rear of slide
    - wide thumb safety
    - flush cut, reverse crown barrel
    - recessed slide stop

Probably be a couple weeks before I can shoot it, but I’m happy with it so far. I did think it was interesting that Wilson didn’t use a ramped barrel with the aluminum frame.

A couple of quick pics. I’ll try to get better ones later:

Last edited by TC215; 09-07-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Damn, son...that's gonna look great with your new g-ride...

Name:  ge8Ol7dK8e4v1SDVNQ70TUJ7C5jtoKR06Rg491ggGtw.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  101.7 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Very nice Wilson! I don't believe Wilson uses a ramp barrel on any of their 45 offerings. Not to worry, I have thousands of rounds thru my light weight 45 acp Hackathorn Commander with no wear issues. Enjoy the new pistol. I really like the feel of the XTAC. Works remarkable well.

I take it you prefer the square notch Battlesight.

JW

Really nice looking but the lack of an accessory rail will get you KILT IN DA STREETZ!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Very nice Wilson! I don't believe Wilson uses a ramp barrel on any of their 45 offerings. Not to worry, I have thousands of rounds thru my light weight 45 acp Hackathorn Commander with no wear issues. Enjoy the new pistol. I really like the feel of the XTAC. Works remarkable well.

I take it you prefer the square notch Battlesight.

JW
    Thanks, that makes me feel better. I’ve had a bunch of aluminum 1911’s from various manufacturers, and they’ve all had ramped barrels. I was just surprised when I didn’t see one in the Wilson.

And yes, I don’t care much for U-notch sights and like the square-notch much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Really nice looking but the lack of an accessory rail will get you KILT IN DA STREETZ!!!
    I thought briefly about adding a rail, but I have a ton of holsters that would have become useless.

@blues, my new ride is already in the shop with engine problems. I can’t have anything nice.

How do you like the xtac treatment compared to checkering?

Congratulations. That is a fine looking pistol.

I didn’t really have time to go to the range, but I went anyway, and shot about 100 rounds.

I had three instances of the slide locking back pre-maturely. I’m thinking that my thumb may have bumped the slide stop during recoil, but I’m not positive. That’s never happened to me before, but the last few thousand rounds I’ve shot have been through Glocks, and I’m wondering if I’ve messed up my grip a little. I’ll have to play with it more to see.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    How do you like the xtac treatment compared to checkering?
    I found it to be very “grippy”. I’m satisfied with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    ...I found it to be very “grippy”. I’m satisfied with it.
    How does it compare with other front strap treatments you've used, and do you have a preference?
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    How does it compare with other front strap treatments you've used, and do you have a preference?
    To me, the grippier the better— I really like 20LPI. I would put the XTAC pattern between 20LPI and 25LPI, but keep in mind that my experience with this new gun is pretty limited. I might change my opinion once I shoot it more.

User Tag List