Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small concealable, with hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I had thought the 442 would be ideal, before I realized how much the thumb on hammer gives me the warm and fuzzy and that I'd hate to miss it.

Looks like a bobbed hammer is the ticket, as apparently it's the only hammer that can be pinned, but is also is snag free.

I didn't realize the humpbacks could be held down with a thumb. That gives me multiple choices. Don't worry about the photo. I know free time after bed is precious, and if you say it can be thumbed I believe you.

-Cory
    I think that your concern may be much ado about nothing. Remember that the cylinder must turn to fire and that the trigger pull is really long even in a J frame. So I did an experiment with my unloaded 442 and a JMCK appendix holster. I was not wearing the holster, only testing to see if the trigger could be pulled on holstering. With my finger on the trigger it was a no-go. I then stuck a Zebra pen through the trigger guard because it's thinner than my fingers and it was a no-go. Next, I balled up enough t-shirt to fill in the trigger guard, but when I tried to jam it in the holster is started to force the kydex apart without pulling the trigger.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    No worries, man. Just grabbed it out of the pocket holster and snapped a quick photo. There’s enough there to ride the hammer in. I bought this little guy 10-11 years ago for the same reason you’re thinking about (thumb riding the hammer when holstering).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I don't know if anyone still makes them, but I've seen grips for J-frames that have built-in hammer shrouds.
    I’ve seen those in one of my Facebook groups. I think they were done by Bianchi. There are times I do curse at not being born a decade or two earlier and missing out on the interesting revolver stuff from before my time. At least there’s guys out there sharing this stuff with us young pups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

638 is still my favorite, wish there was a 338. I might get one of the titanium cylinders for my 638...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have a model 60 with a bobbed hammer. I have not had any ignition problems. I just purchased a dao SP101 with a bobbed hammer. These may be heavier than you are looking for but iwb they won't be bad.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  30.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Does bobbing a hammer create any issues with reliable ignition?

-Cory
    It can, but in Smiths not usually unless the mainspring is also lightened significantly.

If you watch the video here about 1:29 you can see what the hammer looks like just after the hammer spur is chopped off. You can honestly stop there and just clean up the edge from the cut and be fine. The more aggressive bob the gunsmith does isn't really necessary, but looks nice aesthetically.

I've handled a Ruger LCR, and a S&W 638, and liked the trigger on the Ruger a bit better. (didn't have the money at the time for either) I am leaning towards a Ruger LCR model 5401 or a Colt Night Cobra, when I get a stubby.
    They were only a want, and the money was going towards ammo.
    However, now I have a full size GP100, that I am debating about bobbing the hammer, and at the same time, know an elderly woman, who has her Ex's (and daughters now), thirty eight, and this thread makes me also wonder about ammo choices. (no .38 listing in doc's chart)
    Because if I bob the hammer, I expect I would want to test it, in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I've handled a Ruger LCR, and a S&W 638, and liked the trigger on the Ruger a bit better. (didn't have the money at the time for either) I am leaning towards a Ruger LCR model 5401 or a Colt Night Cobra, when I get a stubby.
    They were only a want, and the money was going towards ammo.
    However, now I have a full size GP100, that I am debating about bobbing the hammer, and at the same time, know an elderly woman, who has her Ex's (and daughters now), thirty eight, and this thread makes me also wonder about ammo choices. (no .38 listing in doc's chart)
    Because if I bob the hammer, I expect I would want to test it, in the process.
    For guns with <3” barrels -

.38 for recoil sensitive - the 148-grain Federal Match Wadcutter. It won’t expand but it will give a reliable 15” of penetration through 4-layers of denim.

If a bonded load is necessary for intermediate barriers the only two choices are the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel or Winchester Ranger bonded (the PDX-1 bonded should be identical to the Ranger).

The Critical Defense and Barnes XPB perform okay from 2” guns, but often do not shoot to the sights on J-Frames. The Remington 158-grain lead-semi-wadcutter-hollow-point (LSWHP or LHP) in +P loading remains an effective round if heavy clothing and/or barriers are not a concern.

For 3”+ guns -

Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel
    Winchester Ranger Bonded/PDX1
    Remington +P LHP
    Speer Gold Dot non-short barrel loads in 158-grain weights

All of these work sufficiently well in longer barreled .38 Special guns.

At the end of the day - 148-grain Wadcutters often allow the recoil sensitive to get good hits. Right now my “mother’s” (read: my ‘borrowed’) 3” Detective Special is loaded with wadcutters and she has a couple of speedloaderd with GD Short Barrel.

My 2” Colt Cobra is loaded with GD SB.

I too like having a hammer. I can see it having problems for pocket carry but I don't pocket carry so...

Anyways. I'm not sure if k frames are more or less sensitive to hammer weight but I've cut 3 hammers. One completely and two partially so it's still usable. No issues with light primer strikes.

I've seen the newer MIM hammers in J frames. They have weight reduction cuts in the sides (skeletonizing) that would make me think twice about bobbing one. I'm sure somebody here has done it, what did you find? The hammer shown in the Midway video is the old style steel hammer that's not made anymore.

User Tag List