Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Small concealable, with hammer?

I would definitely get an LCRx. I have one in 3 inch that I carry on a regular basis. If having a hammer spur is important, it’s the best choice on the market.

I've been thinking about this too, not too many options for a small hammer fired pistol other than revolvers. I was even looking into sccy cpx2 because that is supposed to be about 15 oz, but I don't find any sight options or aftermarket goodies. I think the ruger security 9 is hammer fired, LCP is too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Simple question, but I don't know who to really ask so I'm asking everyone here.

What is a small concealable revolver with a hammer? Preferably J frame size. 38 Special only (357 potentially, but I'm not stupid enough to shoot .357s through a small revolver).

I carry a 92, and have a very strong preference for the ability to thumb the hammer during reholster. I'm not buying soon, but trying to fill in an actual needs list. I don't have anything below a full size handgun for carry. I think a small concealable revolver would be ideal.

The more I thought about it, the more the lack of a hammer to thumb during reholster really bothered me. The pistol would likely be AIWB (if possible occasional pocket carry or ankle carry though unlikely). I'm very conscious of my reholster technique and take exaggerated measures to ensure I'm safe. But the more I think about it, the less I like the idea of choosing a gun with one less layer of safety during reholster. Train, train, train and concrete in movements that prevent catastrophe. Got it. This would be an occasional carry gun that isn't as high a priority for training and if possible to have a similar technique to my 92 that's a plus.

I had long since decided that 642 would do the trick if I got the funds together to grab one.I liked the idea of the 642 because it's lightweight, stainless steel, and can be had with no internal lock, and small. Is there something else that is in a similar position (possibly with better sights?) that would fit in this role? I don't know the smith numbers too well and I'm probably over looking something obvious.

Thanks.

-Cory
    If you want a Jframe S&W with a hammer to carry, get a 637 or 638. Unless you want the absolute lightest version, then get the 3xx that is analogous to the standard or Bodyguard style, as you prefer.

I have a 642. It works fine, but no hammer. Were to buy another J today, it may well have a hammer.

Really nice from Smith is the 37-2 DAO, hard to find but only 13.5 oz, with a grip, like 12 without the grip! Taurus makes ‘em as “CH” models with concealed hammer. The come in both 85 5 shot modes or 856 6 shot models. They are in 16 oz. range. Other option is cut spur off any hammered J frame and bingo!

Absolute smallest is the Taurus “view” at only 9 ozwith much abbreviated and no doubt painful grip!! Have be discontinued. They were chambered in .38, which is way too much with such light weight and tiny grip. They should reintroduce these in .22 WMR like 8 rounds and .32 Mag.

They also offer their CH in .380.

I just bought a CH Ultralite this weekend 249.00 and there is a rebate for $25 bucks. I like the 6 rounds in a J frame size, I like the pinned front sight. Grips seem nice, they cover the backstrap, I am nervous because it is... a Taurus. Years back I had an 85 Ti UL that would bind when it heated up after 20-25 rounds.

Another person here who finds the S&W Bodyguard to be the best of all worlds.

To note, this is the J-frame version, not the small, partial plastic abortion S&W gave the venerable name to.

As such, I stick with the .38spl cartridge. Wadcutters are pleasant to shoot and a good option if you are on your game, though I will default to the Speer GP 135grn HPs 9 out of 10 times.

There is a lot to be said for the .327FM, though. It usually gives an extra round, will typically do as much work as the .38spl, with a slightly lighter recoil impulse. Ammo availability and cost are the downsides, but this isn't the type of gun you will need to feed without forethought.

Best of luck!

Two that are available from the factory that are not mentioned above:

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/king-cobra-carry

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5720.html

Both are all stainless steel and .357 Magnum. I have this version of the SP101 and thumbing the hammer works great.

I don't recall if you mentioned light weight as one of your criteria, in which case these would be less than optimal. Magnums are actually not all that punishing out of the SP101.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 09-09-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

My small 2”-barrel, hammer, revolving pistol is an S&W 631; .32 H&R, six-shot. Yes, a Ladysmith. I, who carried a Model 629, as a rookie, to earn my man card, can carry a Ladysmith J-.32. All-stainless steel, because little + light = hurts to shoot. This little one is my right hand’s last best hope to keep shooting truly sub-compact centerfire handguns, most of which seem to directly target the base joint of my thumb. (Bigger grips, wrapping around the backstrap, would make it no longer sub-compact, in the SP101 size envelope.)

My somewhat larger hammer guns are SP101 Rugers, one 4” .32 H&R, and the rest 2.25” to 3.08” .357 Magnum. Two have spurs on the hammers. The tiny spur on the SP101 hammer is so very small, it is of little bother. To be clear, however, pocketing an SP101 will not work, with many trousers’ pockets.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Seecamp autos are hammer-fired. These are niche guns, but, well, that niche may be just-right for some folks, at least some of the time.

The magazine release is the heel-clip type.

No sights. Silhouetting the weapon, against a target, works, at close range, but will have its limitations if one needs to hit a truly vital anatomical target.

We have his-and-hers LWS-32 pistols, but neither of us carry them regularly.

IMHO, these Little Seecamps fall a bit short of truly fulfilling Rule One of Gunfighting.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-09-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    Another person here who finds the S&W Bodyguard to be the best of all worlds.

To note, this is the J-frame version, not the small, partial plastic abortion S&W gave the venerable name to.

As such, I stick with the .38spl cartridge. Wadcutters are pleasant to shoot and a good option if you are on your game, though I will default to the Speer GP 135grn HPs 9 out of 10 times.

There is a lot to be said for the .327FM, though. It usually gives an extra round, will typically do as much work as the .38spl, with a slightly lighter recoil impulse. Ammo availability and cost are the downsides, but this isn't the type of gun you will need to feed without forethought.

Best of luck!
    Taurus’ utter disinterest in anything that resembles quality control means they’re an automatic no-go for serious defensive tools. If people want to buy one for the novelty value, go right ahead. But I wouldn’t bet my life on them.

User Tag List