Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small concealable, with hammer?

Small concealable, with hammer?

Simple question, but I don't know who to really ask so I'm asking everyone here.

What is a small concealable revolver with a hammer? Preferably J frame size. 38 Special only (357 potentially, but I'm not stupid enough to shoot .357s through a small revolver).

I carry a 92, and have a very strong preference for the ability to thumb the hammer during reholster. I'm not buying soon, but trying to fill in an actual needs list. I don't have anything below a full size handgun for carry. I think a small concealable revolver would be ideal.

The more I thought about it, the more the lack of a hammer to thumb during reholster really bothered me. The pistol would likely be AIWB (if possible occasional pocket carry or ankle carry though unlikely). I'm very conscious of my reholster technique and take exaggerated measures to ensure I'm safe. But the more I think about it, the less I like the idea of choosing a gun with one less layer of safety during reholster. Train, train, train and concrete in movements that prevent catastrophe. Got it. This would be an occasional carry gun that isn't as high a priority for training and if possible to have a similar technique to my 92 that's a plus.

I had long since decided that 642 would do the trick if I got the funds together to grab one.I liked the idea of the 642 because it's lightweight, stainless steel, and can be had with no internal lock, and small. Is there something else that is in a similar position (possibly with better sights?) that would fit in this role? I don't know the smith numbers too well and I'm probably over looking something obvious.

Thanks.

-Cory

Smith 360.

Has the benefit of being the cheapest of the Scandium guns, has a hammer, pinned front sight that can be swapped. Also can chambered .357, not that you want to shoot that.

There is the 360PD, 360 M&P, and 360J

Be aware a hammer spur can and will get caught on clothing. If I had a 360, I would bob the hammer. You can still ride the bobbed hammer into the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Smith 360.

Has the benefit of being the cheapest of the Scandium guns, has a hammer, pinned front sight that can be swapped. Also can chambered .357, not that you want to shoot that.

There is the 360PD, 360 M&P, and 360J

Be aware a hammer spur can and will get caught on clothing. If I had a 360, I would bob the hammer. You can still ride the bobbed hammer into the holster.

Does bobbing a hammer create any issues with reliable ignition?

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Does bobbing a hammer create any issues with reliable ignition?

-Cory
    It can if too much mass is removed.

S&W has made a few special 637 models with factory bobbed hammers.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818605627

If it was me, I’d look at the 638/438.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    It can if too much mass is removed.

S&W has made a few special 637 models with factory bobbed hammers.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818605627

If it was me, I’d look at the 638/438.
    The 638/438 don't look like they allow for the same type of thumb on hammer reholster technique I use, where the thumb physically prevents the hammer from moving/the trigger being pulled.

The 637 with a bob looks like what I was picturing. The alloy frame might be better than the lighter options as well (for shooting anyway).

-Cory

Site Supporter
    If an external hammer to pin is a requirement, the LCR/642/442 are out for you as they're all internal hammers that are completely enclosed within the gun.

On the 638, there is enough of a spur on the pin the hammer in place when holstering. I don't have mine handy, but I'll take a photo tonight after I get the wee one fed and to bed if someone doesn't beat me to it. If you want a factory bobbed hammer, the only ones I can think of right now are the Colt Night Cobra, the Taurus 856 Concealed Hammer, and the Charter Arms Undercover. I believe the first two are both are larger than a J-frame (6-shot cylinders), I don't know about the CA Undercover.
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 09-07-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    If an external hammer to pin is a requirement, the LCR/642/442 are out for you as they're all internal hammers that are completely enclosed within the gun.

On the 638, there is enough of a spur on the pin the hammer in place when holstering. I don't have mine handy, but I'll take a photo tonight after I get the wee one fed and to bed if someone doesn't beat me to it. If you want a factory bobbed hammer, the only ones I can think of right now are the Colt Night Cobra, the Taurus 856 Concealed Hammer, and the Charter Arms Undercover. I believe the first two are both are larger than a J-frame (6-shot cylinders), I don't know about the CA Undercover.
    I had thought the 442 would be ideal, before I realized how much the thumb on hammer gives me the warm and fuzzy and that I'd hate to miss it.

Looks like a bobbed hammer is the ticket, as apparently it's the only hammer that can be pinned, but is also is snag free.

I didn't realize the humpbacks could be held down with a thumb. That gives me multiple choices. Don't worry about the photo. I know free time after bed is precious, and if you say it can be thumbed I believe you.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I had thought the 442 would be ideal, before I realized how much the thumb on hammer gives me the warm and fuzzy and that I'd hate to miss it.

Looks like a bobbed hammer is the ticket, as apparently it's the only hammer that can be pinned, but is also is snag free.

I didn't realize the humpbacks could be held down with a thumb. That gives me multiple choices. Don't worry about the photo. I know free time after bed is precious, and if you say it can be thumbed I believe you.

-Cory
    I will second @ragnar_d, there should be enough spur there to accomplish what you want.

I don't know if anyone still makes them, but I've seen grips for J-frames that have built-in hammer shrouds.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List