Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Government Orders Apple and Google to Identify Users of a Gun Scope App

U.S. Government Orders Apple and Google to Identify Users of a Gun Scope App

This will be interesting...

The U.S. government has ordered Apple and Google to disclose the names, phone numbers, and other information for "at least" 10,000 users of a gun scope app, reports Forbes.

An order filed from the Department of Justice requests info on people who use Obsidian 4, an app that controls rifle scopes made by American Technologies Network Corp. The app is designed to let gun owners get a live stream, take video, and calibrate their gun scope using a smartphone.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/06...request-apple/

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    The government requesting large amounts of user data is nothing new, it just usually occurs on the intelligence side of the house, so we never hear about it.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    The government requesting large amounts of user data is nothing new, it just usually occurs on the intelligence side of the house, so we never hear about it.
    Yes in this case it relates to an ITAR investigation involving ATN optics being used by the Taliban against U.S forces as well as popping up other places.

Such court orders are not unusual - What is unusual is why this is getting press as these type orders usually include non disclosure orders valid for a year or more depending on the nature of the investigation.

If someone at google or apple leaked this they can face criminal contempt charges.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-07-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes in this case it relates to an ITAR investigation involving ATN optics being used by the Taliban against U.S forces as well as popping up other places.

Such court orders are not unusual - What is unusual is why this is getting press as these type orders usually include non disclosure orders valid for a year or more depending on the nature of the investigation.

If someone at google or apple leaked this they can face criminal contempt charges.
    The mere mention of ITAR / ODTC / EAR gives me involuntary twitches.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

this at least may mean that the gov isn’t looking over your shoulder to your iPhones activity day by day in real time....

Maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    this at least may mean that the gov isn’t looking over your shoulder to your iPhones activity day by day in real time....

Maybe....

"What'd you think about that acreage that Duke posted on P-F?"

"I dunno. You think he mows it himself?"

"Wait, someone just mentioned Kanye. Better send a message to POTUS."
    Last edited by blues; 09-07-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"What'd you think about that acreage that Duke posted on P-F?"

"I dunno. You think he mows it himself?"

"Wait, someone just mentioned Kanye. Better send a message to POTUS."
    Now that shit is funny

I’m not concerned until the US Gov’t orders google to turn over pics of @JodyH at the range.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’m not concerned until the US Gov’t orders google to turn over pics of @JodyH at the range.
    I think he paid someone off to get rid of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Now I have to shoot naked.
    That's worked out pretty good for me so far with my laptop camera.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List