Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Practice loads close to Critical Duty 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The problem is “freedom munitions”
    I’ve heard that before, but it doesn’t reflect my experience. I bought thousands of rounds from them a few years back. Reman 124gr. Worked great in any of my pistols. No problem making at least 130 power factor (@1050fps). Used that ammo in many matches and in my Rangemaster Instructor class. Not a single issue.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’ve heard that before, but it doesn’t reflect my experience. I bought thousands of rounds from them a few years back. Reman 124gr. Worked great in any of my pistols. No problem making at least 130 power factor (@1050fps). Used that ammo in many matches and in my Rangemaster Instructor class. Not a single issue.
    It reflects mine and that of other PF members local to me.

The last straw for me was a couple years back during a Bruce Gray / Op Sec training class - one shooter had two squibs within 200 rounds with FM and another shooter in the same class had a squib from a different lot of FM.

I’d rather just shoot steel case if price is that much of an issue.

Practice loads close to Critical Duty 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Nor does it reflect mine, but I have not shot more than 1k of the 135s. Most of my comp Ammo was stuff I loaded. That being said, I never had an issue with the Freedom Ammo.

LAX makes 135gr as well for those opposed to Freedom.
    https://www.laxammo.com/lax-ammuniti...mmo-can-detail

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kjr_29; 09-08-2019 at 07:35 AM.

FWIW, both of my batches (124 gr and 147 gr) were purchased in 2016. Hopefully they've sorted out their ammo by now.

Hornady makes/made a 135 grain fmj training load 90238, apparently for LE use. I currently only see it available at one online vendor, Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. Just tried to buy some, apparently they only have 1 box on hand.
    Last edited by LtDave; 09-09-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Hornady makes/made a 135 grain fmj training load 90238, apparently for LE use. I currently only see it available at one online vendor, Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. Just tried to buy some, apparently they only have 1 box on hand.
    Bud’s and GT Distributors appear to have some in stock.

I’m not nearly particular enough to pay 30 or 40 cpr for range fodder. But I’m cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have used Freedom Munitions as training ammo to match the 135 Critical Defense for several years now. We have never had any issues with their re manufactured Ammo.

We DID have issue with the New 158 grain JFP 38spl a few years back. They made the situation right and credited us for the ammo and sent replacement stock free of charge.

My only issue with Freedom is that every time I go to order they are out of stock for most everything reman'ed.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Shot some of the Hornady 90238 Training ammo I got from Bud's in my VP9 with RMR. 20 yards off the bench, 1.0":

Name:  IMG_3770.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  39.4 KB

Now out of stock at Bud's :-(
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

If you do get the Hornady training ammo get the brass cased stuff,the steel case ammo would jam up in the magazine and not feed correctly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    If you do get the Hornady training ammo get the brass cased stuff,the steel case ammo would jam up in the magazine and not feed correctly.
    In what gun / magazine ?

Hornady’s steel case ammo is usually a bit better quality than others but some guns / mags will not tolerate steel or aluminum case ammo.

For example IME steel case is a no go in Magpul Glock mags but feeds fine in Glock OEM mags.

User Tag List