Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Kanye Wyoming

@misanthropist has been to the pizza place in question (and the orange garage coffeeshop) it occurs to me that he’d get a kick out of this gag...

ETA: @SouthNarc and @Cecil Burch have been by there too, come to think of it.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 10-27-2019 at 06:48 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Holy shit that's fucking amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Ok. So the pizza place in the neighborhood used to sponsor this yearly festival called "Perry St Shakedown:" essentially a couple of days over a weekend where they’d set up an outdoor stage in their parking lot, and book 4-5 local bands each day to play a "street festival." Keep in mind that the lot in question has maybe 5 slots on one side and 3 parking spaces on the other—it’s not big at all. The coffeeshop across the street would roll up the orange-painted garage doors and have drink specials; the 1-room consignment store would put racks of dresses on the sidewalk; the cat vet and acupuncture place would offer coupons for initial appointments for new customers, that sort of thing.

The time comes when the late-20s pizza cook/hip hop/hipster musician who booked the bands decides to take a flyer, and ask Sir Mix a Lot’s management if he’d like to headline the festival. Incredibly, he said yes. Drove his goddam Lamborghini across the state, while his band bussed in early to get load-in done. The Buddhist temple across the side street let him use their office as a green room.

Anyhoo, the pizza store owner—a great guy—contacts the city to ask about closing the street for the day, given the headliner and possible scope of the festival. "Oh no, we can’t allow that. Perry street is a main route for the transit bus coming down the hill each half-hour; we can’t have the bus detouring...’

So, the day comes, and well over 3k people show up in front of the pizza place to hear "baby got back" on a Saturday over the supper hour, on an otherwise sleepy residential street in a peaceful residential arts neighborhood. Suffice to say, the busses did not make any of their runs.

And that was the last time that I, Sir MixaLot, or anyone else, played that festival. There is no stinkeye like city hall stink eye.

YES! I remember that now. It was on the news and city officials were pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    YES! I remember that now. It was on the news and city officials were pissed.
    Heh. It made the news on the wet side? Awesome.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    @misanthropist has been to the pizza place in question (and the orange garage coffeeshop) it occurs to me that he’d get a kick out of this gag...

ETA: @SouthNarc and @Cecil Burch have been by there too, come to think of it.
    That whole location with the other businesses nearby had a cool vibe.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

The Gospel According to Kanye

It’s worth reading this entire piece. A taste:

Jesus Is King, Kanye West’s new Christian album, is a big deal. Within a few minutes of its release, its songs took up nine out of the top ten spots on Apple Music. It was, of course, all over the pop-music press, but it also was the top item on National Review Online and widely remarked upon throughout the conservative and Evangelical media. Writing at NRO, Andrew T. Walker, a senior fellow in Christian ethics at the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, asserted: “West has the anthropology of C. S. Lewis, the economics of Wilhelm Röpke, the cultural mood of Wendell Berry, and the defiance of Francis Schaeffer. In Jesus Is King and in interviews, we see a Kanye West upholding what Russell Kirk referred to as the Permanent Things. . . . His religious conversion could spark a revolution in morals, similar to what the conversion of 19th-century abolitionist William Wilberforce helped foster in England.”

Closed on Sunday, you my Chick-fil-A.
    You’re my No.1, with the lemonade.

Not exactly Augustine. And it would be too easy to simply poke fun. But the song in question, “Closed on Sunday,” is of some interest. It is a meditation on the Sabbath. (Chick-fil-A, a Christian-owned business, is famously closed on Sundays.) In the song, West advises (hectors, really) the listener to set aside social media and other technological distractions for the day and to turn instead to family and prayer. That is not the usual feel-good, milk-and-water, love-songs-to-Jesus style of pop-music Christianity. The Sabbath is about giving things up as well as enjoying them. Sohrab Ahmari, quondam antagonist of “David Frenchism,” has spoken wistfully about the possibility of reviving the so-called blue laws, which forbade certain kinds of commercial activity on Sundays. Taking the Sabbath seriously would represent a genuinely radical development for American Christianity, an assault on sensitive progressive cultural norms that would no doubt prove as controversial as homeschooling and abstinence advocacy. The rest of the album is similarly direct and uncompromising in its conception of Christian life and witness.

Is the album any good? It is the sort of thing you’ll like, if you like that sort of thing.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/magaz...kanye/#slide-1

He’s a mercurial guy, and whether this will stick is for sure an open question. If it does, and each Sunday thousands of people become faith-curious, I could see this having a serious societal impact, to the good. Being encouraged to think about God and the meaning of life and the teachings of Christ beats being encouraged to slap your bitches and ho’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    It’s worth reading this entire piece. A taste:

https://www.nationalreview.com/magaz...kanye/#slide-1

He’s a mercurial guy, and whether this will stick is for sure an open question. If it does, and each Sunday thousands of people become faith-curious, I could see this having a serious societal impact, to the good. Being encouraged to think about God and the meaning of life and the teachings of Christ beats being encouraged to slap your bitches and ho’s.
    Change is a comin to the ghetto. Praise the lord.

New age Jesse Jackson.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-11-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List