Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Practical Revolvers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    S&W once offered a combat revolver tuneup for not terribly a lot of money.

I don't know if they still do and whether or not it's a good value.
    It's apparently still offered. I've had that done to three of my 4" S&Ws, a 10-8, a 681-2 and a 22-4. It's a good value. The guns came back with a smoother and slightly lighter DA, a well-done bead blast (except the 22-4, which didn't need refinishing), and other specs where they should be. My only regret is that I didn't have the 10-8 and 681-2 made DAO. The 10-8 was my carry/IDPA gun until I went back to bottomfeeders.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Nice picture. Weak explanation.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Nice picture. Weak explanation.
    I was going for the whole “picture’s worth a thousand words” thing.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....kol-3-quot-M66

Customizations by Mr. Sokol include:

Action job giving a very nice smooth trigger
    Cylinder holes chamfered for easy feeding
    Hammer bobbed and converted to double action only
    Trigger smoothed and polished
    Front of the cylinder chamfered for easy holstering
    Exterior completely dehorned making it very comfortable for carry
    Crowned barrel
    Bead blast finish

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    So what exactly is a “proper 3”, 357 revolver”?
    Given my general ignorance of wheelguns compared to what I know of my semi-auto preferences, I’m not sure exactly. Hence my desire to follow this thread and glean some knowledge.

Somehow forgot about the HiTS Defensive Revolver, but that’s a great start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Where in the country are revolvers ok and semi-auto handguns with legal capacity magazines (for that state) not?
    In the future.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Bill Jordan’s idea of a combat revolver

Get a copy of Bill Jordan’s “No Second Place Winner”, originally published 1965. He lays out in pretty good detail what modications he recommends in a “combat” revolver. I never liked his “thinning” of the trigger guard, but the other stuff he recommended seem to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by talos View Post
    Most of the custom revolver work I see these days is to make the, fancy lookin. Nice wood grips, sometimes porting.

I kinda want a custom revolver that’s all work no play. G10 or micarta grips. Nothing fancy looking. Modern revolvers seem ho-hum to me. Locks on s&w that need to be filled in. MIM parts to save money.

I’m eyeing up Cylinder and slide for custom work but everything on their site seems fancy to me. I guess because I’m the only moron who wants to drop the money to customize an old k-frame.

So what I’m asking is if this is a good idea or goofy? What mods should I ask for?

I can only afford one custom revolver now so I’m not sure if that should be a 4” K frame, maybe a 6” 686, or maybe even a single action 357. I currently only own some older k frames in 4” so if I went the 6” 686 route I’d need to buy a base gun too or trade into it with one of my Ks.

Why do I want this? I listened to Darryl’s podcast and it makes sense to have a nice revolver for places semis are frowned upon. And if I’m going to carry one, I want it tuned up nice.

I’m eyeing up some of cylinder and slides rear fixed sights. I think most people prefer adjustables on revolver but maybe I can get a dovetail front sight custom installed on an old Smith n Wesson and adjust elevation based on changing out the front sight height.
    The advice to avoid a custom build until you can clearly articulate reason(s) that a lightly customized factory piece won’t work is dead on.

Cutting barrels and remounting front sights gets expensive fast. Changing sights afterwards if you have a change of heart can be difficult and expensive, so you have to get that right the first time. For that set of reasons alone, I’d go with a current S&W M-66. They cost about as much as an older one, you can swap sights easily, and they’re accurate. They're also drilled and tapped for optics if your eyes go bad. Either barrel length that S&W offers now is fine; I prefer the 4.25” version because it's legal for deer in my state. Ideally, I'd get one of each.

I’d have factory tune the action for the reasons that others have already covered.

I like the high-visibility fixed rear sight. I think that the C&S variant is out of production, but D&L Sports (https://www.dlsports.com/sandw_kln_frame_sights.html) has one for $95 that looks much the same. Use the factory rear to determine the correct height, then have the replcement set up at the same height.

Grips of your choice. I like factory Magnas and a Pachmayr grip adapter.

Plug the hole if that’s your thing.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Wait, why would anyone say that?

Maybe for a Spartan, one could only have one brand of revolver,...and as i type that I think "wait, why would anyone say that?"
    @Stephanie B told me that if she can get people to believe that, then they're ripe for her enabling trap.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    @Stephanie B told me that if she can get people to believe that, then they're ripe for her enabling trap.
    I am sorta glad she doesn’t live near me, I bet that a range trip with her would be bad for my wallet. Not to mention that crack peddler @Dagga Boy
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Where in the country are revolvers ok and semi-auto handguns with legal capacity magazines (for that state) not?
    Nowhere I know yet.....however, I believe we are not far off. Then you get “interpretations”, I have seen way to many cases of line police officers misinterpreting laws, or as is currently an issue DA’s making stuff up. Anyplace that is a sanctuary city is on the making it up as we go along program. “Manually” operated firearms tend to elucidate any issues even in the worst places for ignoring Constitutional guarantees.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List