Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much roundup can I use before I die ?

How much roundup can I use before I die ?

Got a bunch of land.

Been using roundup for a few months. I don’t drink it, get it in my mouth or on my skin

I don’t spray it on my garden or around it.

But go on the web and they say touching the stuff will kill you in a week....or that it’s perfectly safe.

How are you land owners keeping the fence line and unmowable areas clean without some form of herbicide ?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Got a bunch of land.

Been using roundup for a few months. I don’t drink it, get it in my mouth or on my skin

I don’t spray it on my garden or around it.

But go on the web and they say touching the stuff will kill you in a week....or that it’s perfectly safe.

How are you land owners keeping the fence line and unmowable areas clean without some form of herbicide ?
    I don't have a lot of land but have been using it for several years, usually a gallon or two per year.

Other than the glowing aura I put out at night I can hardly tell the difference.

I treat it like I do Radon. In other words, I don't fret over it.
    Last edited by blues; 09-06-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

There’s not much context given in the media hysteria. The vast majority of the lawsuits have involved the commercial use of roundup. Farming, landscaping, grounds keeping, etc. Using a gallon or more per week.

The safe exposure limit is probably 0. But if you wear gloves, and don’t spray with the wind in your face. Something besides roundup will probably kill you first.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I don't much care for it, but I hose down my rock driveway about twice a year. Considering all the crap I absorb at work and elsewhere, Roundup twice a year isn't really a concern.

I don't use it around the house or fence though. I just weedeat down to dirt, which buys me a couple weeks between having to weedeat again.

If you're wondering, I've tried the water/vinegar/soap mix and it does jack squat for long term control. It kills what you spray it on, but doesn't stop anything from growing right back.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    There’s not much context given in the media hysteria. The vast majority of the lawsuits have involved the commercial use of roundup. Farming, landscaping, grounds keeping, etc. Using a gallon or more per week.

The safe exposure limit is probably 0. But if you wear gloves, and don’t spray with the wind in your face. Something besides roundup will probably kill you first.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I don't much care for it, but I hose down my rock driveway about twice a year. Considering all the crap I absorb at work and elsewhere, Roundup twice a year isn't really a concern.

I don't use it around the house or fence though. I just weedeat down to dirt, which buys me a couple weeks between having to weedeat again.

If you're wondering, I've tried the water/vinegar/soap mix and it does jack squat for long term control. It kills what you spray it on, but doesn't stop anything from growing right back.
    Isnt that vinegar mix supposed to contain salt ?

If it's an electric fence you are best off getting a fencer that is also a "weed burner" that zaps that grass until it dies. It will generally work well, but will become unsightly with dead grass over time. If its something else then goats...lots of goats... and a realistic degree of "that's good enough"

Fence line is a pain I can put in a 20 hour week with the string trimmer alone. We can't spray on our farm because of some organic contract clause (not my department so don't ask). In the heavy growing months I can knock out a few miles once a month to keep it under control and then maybe once more in August and maybe again at the end of October. 10 years ago I was pretty on the spot about doing it every 2 weeks. Now I just don't see the need as much.

Might as well go all out. I use Crossbow. Way more effective than consumer grade Roundup. It doesn’t kill trees but takes care of dandelions and small tree growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Roundup was as dangerous as claimed, I'd have been dead by the time I was 16.
    I humped a backpack sprayer full of Roundup all summer, every summer from around age 11 to 15 on my Grandads farms.
    Zero protective equipment, zero care when mixing it, zero care about exposure while spraying, zero care about post handling clean up.
    35 years later and I have zero Roundup related health issues.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

They spray that shit from airplanes.

I'm not saying that makes it safe (after all, we used to spray DDT and Agent Orange from airplanes) - but they've been doing that now for about 40+ years? It didn't even take 30 years for them to ban DDT after introduction. And it took < 8 years for them to recognize the effects of Agent Orange on troops to the point where they severely limited and eventually discontinued its use.

I'm just saying...40-years is generally enough time to notice a trend and find the cause. Especially because humans breed like cockroaches.

User Tag List