Thread: User Settings, The Thread Display Options -> Show Images feature doesn't stop Youtube

Site Supporter

User Settings, The Thread Display Options -> Show Images feature doesn't stop Youtube

Mods/Staff/Powers That Be:

Is there any way to get the Settings -> Thread Display Options -> Show Images feature to disable not just embedded images, but embedded youtube links as well?

My only access to this forum for the next year or so will be via a gov't owned machine with inconsistent available bandwidth, and for that reason our network blocks YouTube.

Every time I load a thread with a YouTube link it is logged as an out of network attempt, and I'd rather my powers-that-be to not end up blocking Pistol-Forum as well because they followed the bread crumbs from these connection attempts.
    This place is one of the few sites I can access and participate in, so breaking the Youtube embed somehow would be of great value to me, and others in my position too.

Thank you!

(Plus the obligitory mods here are total shit comment)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    As far as I know that’s not a option of the software. However, you can create/edit a hosts file on your computer to have all such blocked domains routed to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 or similar.

The following should provide you with instructions on how to accomplish this on any OS:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2735...our-hosts-file

ETA: using a government owned computer probably means you won’t have sufficient access to alter the hosts file, though.
    Depending on restrictions (are you allowed a phone on the company network), you might be able to make one of them a DNS server, (or a Raspberry PI), with the hosts file, or simply explain to your admin what your trying to do, and see if they either will block on their end, or edit your hosts file. (be straight with them, because if you can use the computers on your downtime, then as long as your not screwing up the network, a lot are cool with letting people adult themselves)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    As far as I know that’s not a option of the software. However, you can create/edit a hosts file on your computer to have all such blocked domains routed to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 or similar.

The following should provide you with instructions on how to accomplish this on any OS:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2735...our-hosts-file

ETA: using a government owned computer probably means you won’t have sufficient access to alter the hosts file, though.
    I should have clarified, being a .gov owned computer I have no access under the hood, so the hosts.ini trick and a multitude of others are a no-go. Basically, if it's not in browser settings, or part of the web page software, I'm SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Depending on restrictions (are you allowed a phone on the company network), you might be able to make one of them a DNS server, (or a Raspberry PI), with the hosts file, or simply explain to your admin what your trying to do, and see if they either will block on their end, or edit your hosts file. (be straight with them, because if you can use the computers on your downtime, then as long as your not screwing up the network, a lot are cool with letting people adult themselves)
    That was plan A, and sadly it didn't pan out through the front door. I've been waiting for another guy from IT (we call it S6 or G6 in the Army) to stop by to fix someone else's stuff, and then tap them on the shoulder and do the'while you're here' thing, but so far, no dice.

I appreciate you both taking the time to help me out - thank you!
    Last edited by JRB; 09-07-2019 at 12:17 AM.

User Tag List