Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Velocity threshold for bullets

Velocity threshold for bullets

Are there published numbers for bullets? Specifically 357 ones?

I'd like to start loading up some defensive ammo since it's so expensive.

I'd also like to find something that works from a 2.75"-20" barrel. I know, right? LoL

The 180gr Remington bullets seem to be the most consistent besides hard cast bullets which I really am ok carrying. I'd love to find something that works from 1300-1800fps.

Are most 158 JSP the same? I've seen results with the AE load that I'd be happy with and have seen basic 158 JSP almost as cheap as cast.

Speer has a 135 fmj that would be a good practice load as I think 135 makes a good defensive load. How are the 135 speers and are the 135 flexlock bullets available for sale?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'd recommend against it. Loading duplicates to practice with, sure. Loading for actual defensive use, no. There are existing threads on why, but the quick and dirty Reader's Digest version is it can taint a prosecutor toward you, can potentially create false impressions in forensic reconstruction of shootings, and it can be used to create a narrative with a criminal or civil jury.

To head off the inevitable, no it won't turn a 'good shoot' into a 'bad shoot' and no the law doesn't (usually) specify what sort of bullets you can use. Neither of those things make the above less true.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'd recommend against it. Loading duplicates to practice with, sure. Loading for actual defensive use, no. There are existing threads on why, but the quick and dirty Reader's Digest version is it can taint a prosecutor toward you, can potentially create false impressions in forensic reconstruction of shootings, and it can be used to create a narrative with a criminal or civil jury.

To head off the inevitable, no it won't turn a 'good shoot' into a 'bad shoot' and no the law doesn't (usually) specify what sort of bullets you can use. Neither of those things make the above less true.
    Admirably succinct.

Are there published numbers for bullets? Specifically 357 ones?

I'd also like to find something that works from a 2.75"-20" barrel. I know, right? LoL

The 180gr Remington bullets seem to be the most consistent besides hard cast bullets which I really am ok carrying. I'd love to find something that works from 1300-1800fps.

Are most 158 JSP the same? I've seen results with the AE load that I'd be happy with and have seen basic 158 JSP almost as cheap as cast.

Speer has a 135 fmj that would be a good practice load as I think 135 makes a good defensive load. How are the 135 speers and are the 135 flexlock bullets available for sale?
    Andrew (I think it used to be The Chopping Block youtube channel Edit: TFB channel) did some tests with the Remington 158 gr SJHP loads, they worked well in a 4" model 13 and 16" carbine. I dont know what velocity they will make in a 2 3/4", but he was clocking about 1300 fps in the 4". Theve been intermittently available from several sources. Price isnt too bad if you shop around. Ive had some around, but I havent shot anything live with them so far.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-05-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I won't argue it can't happen. I just don't care.

But I'm still interested in the bullet specs if anyone has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Andrew (the chopping block youtube channel) did some tests with the Remington 158 gr SJHP loads, they worked well in a 4" model 13 and 16" carbine. I dont know what velocity they will make in a 2 3/4", but he was clocking about 1300 fps in the 4". Theve been intermittently available from several sources. Price isnt too bad if you shop around. Ive had some around, but I havent shot anything live with them so far.
    Yup, I've watched all his videos. I appreciate the use of organic gel. I think I looked for them recently and didn't see any available. I should check again.

Site Supporter
    I won't argue it can't happen. I just don't care.

But I'm still interested in the bullet specs if anyone has them.
    And so by creating a permanent record with that comment that you "...just don't care" you gave a lowlife plaintiff's attorney yourself as low hanging fruit. Buy factory ammo for carry and reload your practice and training ammo.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    And so by creating a permanent record with that comment that you "...just don't care" you gave a lowlife plaintiff's attorney yourself as low hanging fruit. Buy factory ammo for carry and reload your practice and training ammo.
    I have no problem defending my statement that I don't care if an attorney would use my use of reloads against me.

I have defending my documentation in front of courts before.

And now back to the reloading forum...

Not all commercial self-defence ammo uses the exact same bullets that are available for reloading, but you might visit the labs section at Lucky Gunner and see what results they show at specific distances, and specific revolvers. I do remember Hornady enclosing little paper slips in their XTP bullet boxes listing the most effective velocities for expansion. The information you want is out there, but it may not be readily identified as such.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Not all commercial self-defence ammo uses the exact same bullets that are available for reloading, but you might visit the labs section at Lucky Gunner and see what results they show at specific distances, and specific revolvers. I do remember Hornady enclosing little paper slips in their XTP bullet boxes listing the most effective velocities for expansion. The information you want is out there, but it may not be readily identified as such.
    Hornady has charts with their handgun bullets listed and what the effective expansion velocity range is for each.

User Tag List