Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Which DA .22

Which DA .22

If you're not opposed to buying used, the S&W Model 17 or M18 is a real fine DA revolver. I have one of each and really like both of them. Even used, they tend to be expensive. But if you take your time and keep an eye open, you'll eventually find one that isn't too pricey.

Ruger LCR 22

We bought the LCR 22 last week because the LC9 has been a great ccw. Yesterday my wife and I ran about 300 rounds through it using four differant 22lr ammos and it was acurrate with all.
    The sights were dead on and the feel of the LCR was really comfortable.
    The trigger was smooth but a little heavy so when I cleaned it I removed the grip and cleaned the works good and oiled it lightly. What a big differance that made. Smoother and lighter. I sugest that if you buy one new not only clean the barrel and cylender also remove the grip (One screw) and clean and oil (lightly) the works.
    It only takes a couple minutes but makes a big differance.

Sorry for not revisiting this thread sooner, thanks to everyone for their responses.

After taking another look at the LCR22's, I just decided to try one. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago but have only had time to hit the range once since I got it. I didn't have much time to shoot, maybe 30 minutes, but initial impressions are good. The trigger is decent and I was having no trouble hitting 3x5 cards at 7 yards from low-ready. Next time I go, I'll try to remember to take a dot-torture target and see how I fare with something like that.

Aside from the training value, the thing is just fun to shoot. I did about 100 rounds just blazing away at an 8" plate ...neat little gun
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

I'm looking to purchase a 317 or 617, strictly for DA/LEM trigger training. It seems like the lighter 317 would be a better choice because the reduced weight would amplify any trigger and/or grip issues.

Normally I would purchase the 317 and not sweat it, but the LGS has two new 617's and zero 317's. The larger K frame feels great in the hand, but I'm concerned the extra mass will defeat the purpose.

So... 317 or 617 for DA training?

I purchased a used model 63 for my father a number of years ago and have put multiple thousands of rounds down range with it. It's a great little shooter. I also own a 4" 617 I bought new that's pushing 20,000 rounds through it. I bought the latter for the express purpose of being a double-action training gun (and of course a plinker, etc... too). My take is that for shooting a full-sized DA or DA/SA pistol, (I carry Sigs at work) the larger frame revolver does a better job for me. I find the weight, the longer sight radius and more importantly, the reach from backstrap to trigger and the length of trigger travel itself on the 617 more closely replicates my go-to guns than the j-frame does. Just my biased opinion, though.

T

I had mentioned to my FFL buddy to be on the lookout for DA 22's, and wouldn't you know it he's handling an estate sale that has a few- a 3" 317 and a 4" model 34. I'm waiting for confirmation that both have adjustable sights, but just for fun:
    Are there 3" 317's that only have fixed sights, or is the 3" automatically a Kit Gun, or what?
    And, assuming he'll gives me a heads up and I can take my pick, would one be better than the other?
    All I know about them is the 317 should be quite a bit lighter and holds 8, the 34 would be heavier and holds 6. My intended use will mostly be as a tool to work on trigger control, not too worried about collectibility but I don't mind it. Don't have pricing yet but he's saying they'll probably both be under $500.
    ETA: in the time it took me to write that long post my buddy committed to buy the 317 for $400, and if I want it he'll sell it to me at that price, since he already has one. Problem solved. Looks like my 3913 will be finding a new home to cover it.
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by NickA; 07-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.

I took delivery of the 317 Friday (actually Mrs. A did, 'cuz my gun guy delivers). I can definitely say that I now GET IT. Took it out Saturday with SkyLine1 and I couldn't put the thing down. Probably close to 200 rounds through it, managed to go from a pattern to decent 2-3" groups at 7 yards. The need for good trigger control was immediately apparent .
    This particular one is well used and won't win any beauty contests, but wow what a fun gun.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I've had a S&W M18 .22 for 32 years. It was my first handgun. Thousands upon thousands of rounds later it is still accurate and reliable.

Jack O'Connor said that most shooters would be better off putting more money into a 22 than into a centerfire because we all shoot our 22s so much more than we shoot centerfire. He was talking about rifles, but this investment approach is true for handguns as well.

I'm a huge fan of steel-frame Smith & Wesson 22 DA revolvers, which are the Model 34, 35, or 63 in the J-frame, and the Model 17 and 18 in the K-frame. I prefer a J-frame .22 with a 4" barrel and a K-frame .22 with a 6" barrel. I've made some of my best bragging shots with these guns, both on game and on inanimate targets. They're expensive until you consider how long they last, at which point they suddenly become downright cheap.

The Colt Diamondback is another unsung gem, as is the Colt Officer's Model Match .22, but they're getting hard to find and getting spare parts can be difficult.

These older all-steel revolvers have to be fed the ammo that they like and you have to keep them clean, but you really can't beat them for accuracy and durability.

Okie John

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The Colt Diamondback is another unsung gem...
    "Unsung"?

Dude, I don't know where you are, but I haven't seen a .22 Diamondback sell for less than I paid for my first car since Y2K was still a worry.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List