Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which DA .22

Honestly, I'd send it back for fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interesting, I wonder if it is ammo related, or something about your 317. In the month I have been shooting my 317, I am between 4,000 and 5,000 rounds of Federal and CCI JHP's, have yet to clean it, and it is functioning fine?
    My understanding is that there is a range in the function based on chamber size, i.e. how worn the chamber reamer was when that cylinder was produced. It sounds like a common improvement is to send one to a gunsmith to have the chambers reamed.

Ps. I have been kicking myself for a while now for selling a beautiful 4" 617 a few years ago.... What was I thinking??

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    I have a stainless steel, three inch, Charter Arms Pathfinder .22.
    There are several of those in my family in blue. They work quite well, although the trigger is heavy.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

I had a 317 a long time ago and wish I still did. If funds allow I will get another. At present my .22 battery of revolvers consists of Ruger Super Single Six. Not that good of an option for DA training with a small revolver!

An S&W M18 4" .22 was my first pistol. A six shot K frame. Not sure how many cans I've perforated with it, now use it for a challenging steel challenge gun. I've owned it for 32 years.

Just to throw out an option from someone with limited experience, have you considered an old High Standard Sentinel? I've shot a great deal with a longer-barreled version, but I find the overall feel is akin to the S&W Model 10 I also shoot quite a bit. The trigger feel in double action is far stiffer with the .22, however, but I find if I can keep it steady, doing so on the .38 is a snap. The single action break is pretty close, however. I'm thinking that a snub-nosed version might also be similar enough for your needs. Well, as long as you find a good one that's priced to be used rather than collected.

have you considered an old High Standard Sentinel?
    I actually hadn't even heard of those before...

I think at this point I've pretty much decided on the 317, if I can find one for a decent price. Bud's Police Supply is the best I've found, by a significant margin. Unfortunately, they're out of stock.
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Here's some information on the High Standard Sentinel, if interested: http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html . I believe that in the 50s and 60s High Standard .22s were highly regarded, particularly the competition pistols. If you happen to come across a good one, I think they're worth consideration. I believe they sell in the $200-$275 range.

There's currently a company that owns the brand and is either manufacturing or importing firearms, but I don't know much about them.

For the 317, do you know of small shops that focus on police supply or even officers with a small business selling firearms? I just know of a couple of places/people in my area like that who can typically get S&Ws at good prices.

Thanks for the info, and the suggestion. It had slipped my mind until you mentioned it, but there is a Lt. at one of the local departments that has a gun business on the side, I'll have to holler at him.
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

I recently purchased a ruger sr22. I love it so far. I was debating between that and a sig sauer mosqito which is also a .22. Both of them were around the same price. The sig is a a little bit bigger than the ruger is but thats okay. Very light and versatile. The ruger is very well built also. One of the better things about the ruger is that with a flick of on button you can break the gun down to clean it. I have out about 200 rounds through it today of the winchester white box and havent had any problems at all. I paid 351 after tax for the sr22. Good luck

User Tag List