Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Popped the cherry.

Popped the cherry.

Fired a SW 500 Magnum with a 4" barrel yesterday. The power was unbelievable. I couldn't believe I felt the shockwave hit me in the face.

A very nice gentleman next to me and my buddy on the range let us try it out. He also let me try his SW 460 with 460 load and 454 casull load.

He's now got me hooked and I'll be buying a 500 very shortly

-DBLAction454

Thank that guy.

One of my buds let me touch off a full cylinder from his .500, I felt bad later when I realized I had just spent $20+ in that one string of fire.

I'd go for the .460, you can shoot .454 and .45Colt in the same gun, cheaper that way.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Thank that guy.

One of my buds let me touch off a full cylinder from his .500, I felt bad later when I realized I had just spent $20+ in that one string of fire.

I'd go for the .460, you can shoot .454 and .45Colt in the same gun, cheaper that way.
    I thanked him multiple times and begged him to let me give him some cash for the rounds. I remember seeing 500 ammo at the store being like $3 per round but he wouldn't accept anything.

-DBLAction454

Quote Originally Posted by DBLAction454 View Post
    I thanked him multiple times and begged him to let me give him some cash for the rounds. I remember seeing 500 ammo at the store being like $3 per round but he wouldn't accept anything.

-DBLAction454
    I had an acquaintance (dont know him very well) let me put a few rounds of .338 Lapua Mag through his Sako w/ suppressor, it was great fun but everytime I worked the bolt I saw a $5 bill going in and out of the chamber.

I would love to shoot a .500! I have little need for any of the massive calibers but boy they're fun to shoot every once in a while
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I have a 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in 454. We are talking an honest 1800 fps with a 260 grain bullet. I know of a reduced load with a 250 grain bullet at 1300 fps, a hair more than a 44 magnum. This revolver even with Houge "Tamer" grips and Magnaport 4 port rifle style porting produces about all the recoil I can stand without developing a flinch. I have killed deer with this revolver as well as S&W 44 magnum revolvers.

I have shot several 500 S&W magnums. The price of ammo is not an issue for me. The recoil is an issue for me. I am sure the recoil would induce a terrible flinch in short order and then I would starting missing. Then there is the sore hands thing.

First time I shot a couple of thousand dollars worth of rounds out of a MK19 (assuming a $200 tax stamp for each round as a civy) I was pretty juiced.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

.500 magnum is a rifle round disguised as a handgun cartidge.

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    .500 magnum is a rifle round disguised as a handgun cartidge.
    A handi-rifle in the .500 makes a fascinating prospect for Indiana deer seasons, should I ever decide to particpate in one.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

The longer barreled .500 was surprisingly easy to control, much less recoil than a model 29 with full house loads.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    The longer barreled .500 was surprisingly easy to control, much less recoil than a model 29 with full house loads.
    yeah, right!

User Tag List