Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which DA .22

Which DA .22

I'm wanting to get a DA small-frame .22 in the near future.

The ones I'm looking at are:

S&W 43C (if I'm lucky enough to notice for the 5 minutes they seem to be available at any given time)
    S&W 317
    Ruger LCR 22

I'm also considering

S&W 317 kit gun
    Ruger SP101 .22

I'm leaning toward one of the first 3 as a low-cost training version of my .38's, since .38 ammo is stupid expensive anymore. I'm considering the other two, however, because the longer barrels and better sights will make them easier to shoot. This is a consideration since the revolver will do double-duty as a "loaner" for students in CCW classes.

From what I've seen thus far, the Rugers are a little cheaper than their S&W equivalents. That said, I don't want to end up with something that's gonna be a PITA just to save a few bucks if there are bugs that need to be worked out with these newer models.

So, for those that have experience with one or more of the models I've mentioned, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.
    Last edited by KenpoTex; 04-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

I love a good K framed .22, but man... they are kind of hard to shoot when one is missing an arm and a leg.

Kenpo, not on your list, but I continue to be impressed with my J frame, stainless steel S&W M63 w/3 inch barrel. Great trigger, good accuracy and I strongly suspect my grandkids will be shooting it along with my M617.

The SP101 I had was heavy for the capacity (6 rounds). Not sure about the LCR, but suspect that's a decent revolver.

My 317 is a great adjunct to my 642s, I like it a lot.

If Tam reads this; I like my 317 alot.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    As the owner of a 317 in the snobby configuration, my advice would be to buy the longer barrel revolver at a bare minimum.

I'm a huge fan of DA .22 revolvers. I bought the 317 after having become impatient in the search for a good one. I had a beautiful model 18 I rescued from an auction, but that revolver turned out to shoot way off of point of aim so it wasn't useful for anything other than looking pretty. After scouring gunbroker for months trying to get another model 18 or a kit gun or something in that range for a decent price with no result, I snapped when I saw the 317 at a gun show and paid probably more than I should have.

They are pretty expensive handguns, I assume because they are more involved to make. At the prices I see asked for them on gun store shelves it would be worth it to me to spend a little bit more for the revolver that makes me happy. I like the revolver well enough, but when I'm using the thing for fun rather than as a serious training tool I often find myself wishing it was a blued steel revolver with a longer barrel.

Thanks for the feedback so far folks.
    After more looking, the LCR 22 interests me. There are aftermarket front sights available, and the trigger is advertised as being about 8 lbs. or less...not bad if it's as smooth as the .38 version.

Al T., I have considered the 63, just forgot to list it with the other two longer-barrel models. I may look for a used one if I go with the larger size.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    As the owner of a 317 in the snobby configuration, my advice would be to buy the longer barrel revolver at a bare minimum.
    Is there something you don't like about the snubby 317's performance, or is it just that the "fun factor" isn't as strong as it would be with a longer barrel/better sights, etc.?
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

I've been looking at those too, after GJM had suggested. It does seem like a great options for a high-rounds practice of managing a DA pull, plus an option for a small backup revolver.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Is there something you don't like about the snubby 317's performance, or is it just that the "fun factor" isn't as strong as it would be with a longer barrel/better sights, etc.?
    The snub configuration is much harder to shoot well than a configuration with better sights and better sight radius would be. When everything is just right I can be pretty accurate with the little revolver. When my eyes are fatigued or the lighting isn't just right I struggle to shoot it well.

Roger that. I know there's a trade-off with these but a big part of my interest is having something that replicates my .38's as closely as possible. The longer barrel and better sights of the kit-gun or SP101 would make it easier to shoot, but my .38's have the standard (crappy) sights.

On the other hand...it's kind of expensive for something that is basically just going to be a step up from dryfire for me, so I'm thinking hard about a more shootable model...choices, choices

I really like my 317. One of the best purchases I have ever made.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

User Tag List