Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real world gun grapple

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post

Also of note, the opponent knew how to fix the malfunction...
    TBH, that was the most unexpected/novel takeaway from the vid, for me.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Bad guys can YouTube gun vids too.

Meanwhile, a state trooper nearly broke my carry 1911 during a routine traffic stop. He kept trying to pull the cocked and locked slide back without flipping the safety first, which made for the most awkward traffic stop of my life. What the heck do you do when the trooper spends 10 minutes furtively jerking the slide of your Colt XSE and then stares at the gun like a possessed demon? I had to gently inform him of the safety and it’s deactivation.

Even if LE agencies quail at the thought of advanced gun training, the offenders aren’t so inhibited.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Bad guys can YouTube gun vids too.
    For sure; all the info is out there. That said, this means our guy was either highly motivated to increase his own danger quotient, as a habit, or had training from past work that he retained beyond the level of the average joe—for reasons important to him. Combine that info with the fact that he had no compunctions about controlling a female officer’s hands and body, and punching her in the face, and it quickly becomes apparent that the officer in the vid met her “Todd” that day.

It’s cool for aspiring "Todds" to cut up the encounter and learn from it. Good use of the footage. But, unless future officers—including the one in the video—want to travel down the Todd path themselves, there is no fixing the fact that some bad actors completely outclass the authorities in capability. This was one clear example.

PS. For anyone reasonably new to P-F, a footnoted 2012 rabbit hole thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ining-to-fight
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I once heard a dude in a gun shop say that you can't learn to shoot really well unless you have an instructor.

I've seen a huge number of self taught shooters who were phenoms. Not the least of whom is a dude named Ben Stoeger.

UFC phenom Jon Jones was said to be a largely self taught striker...watched videos on YouTube and taught himself how to throw punches and kicks. I think he's since received some high level instruction and he was a collegiate wrestler well before that, but still.

With that 99 percent of perspiration, you only really need that one percent of inspiration. And the internet is a useful place to find it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Even The Hulk himself got checked.

[HR]
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The Opsec component

One of the things that also came out with this situation was this deputy's social media account along with her public media relations. I'm not particularly against that but it's worth mentioning.

For sure; all the info is out there. That said, this means our guy was either highly motivated to increase his own danger quotient, as a habit, or had training from past work that he retained beyond the level of the average joe—for reasons important to him. Combine that info with the fact that he had no compunctions about controlling a female officer’s hands and body, and punching her in the face, and it quickly becomes apparent that the officer in the vid met her “Todd” that day.

It’s cool for aspiring "Todds" to cut up the encounter and learn from it. Good use of the footage. But, unless future officers—including the one in the video—want to travel down the Todd path themselves, there is no fixing the fact that some bad actors completely outclass the authorities in capability. This was one clear example.

PS. For anyone reasonably new to P-F, a footnoted 2012 rabbit hole thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ining-to-fight
    Speaking of bad actors.. All I want to know from that linked thread is if GOP became a world class shooter?

Funny how it all boils down to control...

User Tag List