Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: Who do we like for MRE's these days?

something else to consider

MREs come with lots of other useful stuff from toilet paper to a spoon/spork, some condiments, and a "balance" of edibles (fruit, a carb', dessert). Arctic rations come this way as well. Such ancillaries can start to make a difference after a couple of such meals

Just a thought

Site Supporter
    Do they still come with cocoa beverage powder? During an...um...extended visit to lovely Tikrit in mid-'03 I became addicted to tactical frappuccino. Take a half-liter bottle of water, drink a couple of ounces out of it, and add the cocoa beverage powder, coffee, sugar, and non-dairy creamer packets to it and shake well. It was awesome, and there were always discarded packets of cocoa beverage powder in the "extras" box. My preferred Sunday dinner was meatloaf and mashed potatoes, each heated with its own heater packet, and the gravy from the meatloaf dumped into the mashed potatoes. Ah, memories...

Just a note... This stuff: Fantastic. (if you like Korean food)

https://www.amazon.com/Meals-Bibimba.../dp/B00VS366ZQ

Name:  51wTFSW-7mL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  36.2 KB

FWIW; Mountain House is available in #10 size cans, may work good for group size meals.

Speaking of foreign MREs:

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Do they still come with cocoa beverage powder? During an...um...extended visit to lovely Tikrit in mid-'03 I became addicted to tactical frappuccino. Take a half-liter bottle of water, drink a couple of ounces out of it, and add the cocoa beverage powder, coffee, sugar, and non-dairy creamer packets to it and shake well. It was awesome, and there were always discarded packets of cocoa beverage powder in the "extras" box. My preferred Sunday dinner was meatloaf and mashed potatoes, each heated with its own heater packet, and the gravy from the meatloaf dumped into the mashed potatoes. Ah, memories...
    The other variation of this is called Ranger Pudding. Cut off an edge of the cocoa powder and dump in the coffee, sugar, and creamer. Add just enough water to get a batter like consistency. Optionally add in peanut butter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Wildland Firefighters get issued and/or use quite a number of MRE’s. I’ve spiked out a few times and those are always rough for me and I well just hard to eat.

The hand crew I work with recently went to keeping JetBoil stoves and Mountain House meals in the trucks instead of MRE’s. They are significantly happier and more productive when spiking out now.

Depending on how you want to set it up. I don’t see a dry bag with 10 to 20 Mountain House meals and 2 JetBoil Stoves being any bigger then a case of MRE’s. It would lack the snacks and forks and drink mixes.

Current MRE’s

Been active from ‘06 to the present in the Army. MRE’s have evolved quite a bit, the current line isn’t bad at all. The brand new ones like the Pizza meal I haven’t had a chance to try, because you’d better believe that Joe rat-f**ks the box any time they are open and will grab up the best ones themselves. Gone are the days of veggie omelettes, nowadays you have quite a few good options. I just wish they still included little Tabasco bottles. I will say though, Ranger School was the only time that I have truly craved the chance to eat an MRE.

The new (well, probably five or more years old now) First Strike Rations are meant to be an on the go 24 hour bag of a lot of the side items meant for things like a JFE, packing in about 2900 calories. I had the brand new MORE (modular operational ration enhancement) for the first time this summer at JRTC, it’s the same concept as a first strike but a lot smaller and in either a hot weather or cold weather version.

User Tag List