Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Who do we like for MRE's these days?

RFI: Who do we like for MRE's these days?

Getting ready for me and my crew's to work in some pretty remote locations. We won't be getting back to the Lodging until late, after all the local eateries have closed.

I need to sock away some food in our transport's so we can at least eat at a normal time. Breakfast at the lodging or on the road, MRE in the late afternoon, or if we get stranded out, we can keep eating them as needed.

I know there are better options, but this is really what MRE's were designed for. There are not a lot of choices for picking up food enroute, and then there is the whole spoilage risks with perishables.

Not so worried about price, just want some good one's that haven't been sitting in the bottom of some troops duffle bag for the last 10 years.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Student
    I forgot whether it was in in Kuwait or Iraq, but one of the waiting areas in the DAACG had as many Heater Meals as we wanted to help ourselves to. They were actually pretty tasty compared to the military MRE menu during the time when the vegetable omelet was the only breakfast option.

https://heatermeals.com/the-facts/

https://heatermeals.com/shop/category/heatermeals-2/

^^^^ Tandoori chicken with rice? That actually sounds pretty damn good. Might have to give these a shot.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I forgot whether it was in in Kuwait or Iraq, but one of the waiting areas in the DAACG had as many Heater Meals as we wanted to help ourselves to. They were actually pretty tasty compared to the military MRE menu
    That's not much of an endorsement. I hate those motherfuckers. The closest I'll go to MREs or Heater Meals is freeze dried, such as Mountain House.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Mountain House is what I would choose.

No experience with MREs as a serviceman, obviously, but have eaten them once or twice for Hurricane food.

I have used Mountain House products with the Scouts as an Adult Leader (now retired) and they were uniformly excellent. This was a few years ago but I would certainly check them out first.

If you bring some way to heat water, then I recommend Mountain House. The meals I’ve tried taste a lot better than MREs. If you won’t have a way to heat water, then MREs or Heater Meals will work but most of them don’t taste very good.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

A good source for MRE's and Mountain House is TheEpicenter.com
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Definitely go with Mountain House freeze dried food if you'll have the time/space and water to prepare the food.

MREs if you don't have the time/space (eating on the road) or your water allocation is limited what people are drinking during the day. Make sure you're looking at the contents and caloric amount...not all MREs are spec'd the same, very few are spec'd similar to the DOD contract MREs which are 1200 calories. Some commercial will be as low as 600, with many at 800.

Keep in mind that Mountain House is the king of freeze dried food. Lots of competitors use "textured vegetable protein" instead of real meat, and unlike most Mountainhouse also cooks the entrees as a meal before freeze-drying it, so it tends to taste better than the competitors who (in addition to using TVP) will cook the ingredients separately, freeze dry it, then throw it in the bag.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

@TGS, are the "real" MRE's, production overuns, or the special "Contractor Excess" even still available? With the GWOT winding down, it seems the real stuff, in unopened pallets and cases is kind of scarce? About 10 or so years ago we got issued some Contractor overuns, they were pretty good, with menu items I had never seen in MRE's before.

I would love to do Mountain House, but time and space constraints ain't gonna let that happen. I'm just trying to make sure my guys don't have to worry about eating at the end of the day. Nothing worse than rolling back to town at the end of a long day and you get to choose between the hotel vending machine or the dregs left over in the warming rack at the local stop and rob. That shit is plain sketchy. " Hmmm, I wonder what the hell this was when they put it in the warmer 10 hours ago? It doesn't even look like food anymore". And I tell my guys not to leave unsealed food in their rooms, cause you know, people and shit.

I'm just going to order a case of MRE's and a case of heater meals, and we can do a tasting on a Friday after close of business.

User Tag List