Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Parts are Worth NP3ing?

Site Supporter

Which Parts are Worth NP3ing?

I saw @LangdonTactical's comments in this post and decided to start a new thread rather than further derailing that one.

Given that you have a pistol you want to use as a long-term carry gun, what parts would most benefit from NP3 or a similar coating? And the flip side of that is on what parts does it have no meaningful benefit? I understand that this will vary depending on the particular gun. And on those parts that are worth doing, should it be done on a new part or one that's broken in? I'm specifically interested in PX4s, but I'm sure the hive mind has suggestions for other pistols that would be worthwhile.

Magazines. My stock Beretta and HK mags rust easily because they’re exposed to my sweat, both the spare mag and the one in the gun. The metal lips under the baseplate, especially, retain moisture and are a nuisance to service without pulling the mag apart every day. Even RIG only goes so far.

Most of the rest of the gun is plastic, protected by the holster, or easy to wipe down daily without disassembly.

I haven’t had any malfunctions out of my last 7 carry guns, so I don’t feel a need for coatings there, and cleaning isn’t really a problem.

Trigger parts. Looking at the LTT TJIAB, I'd say there are benefits to NP3 on the hammer, sear, trigger bar, and hammer strut. My LTT92 'Carry Bevel' has NP3'd controls, but I'm not sure there is a practical benefit there other than aesthetics. But I do like the look.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 09-04-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

NP3 has two benefits to me, increasing corrosion resistance of the substrate and high lubricity in sandy and dusty environments. So, for me, NP3 makes sense on parts that need to be lubed and parts where I wish to increase the corrosion resistance. NP3 is not supposed to be applied to bores but can be applied to barrel exteriors. On my Glock and PX4 pistols, I have all of the metal parts coated except for the slide and springs. I have coated some Glock slides but have not realized a benefit other than cosmetic.

On 1911-pattern pistols, my preference is to do the entire pistol. At the very least, action components and the components on which they rotate, pivot, or slide should be coated.

Is there still a company that will apply NP3 to guns/parts? Thought it was a Robar exclusive.

No more NP3.

ROBAR Companies Inc. Officially Out of Business

Robar, renowned for their self-lubricating NP3 finishes and which has been in business for more than 35 years, is officially closing their doors. Customers have received the following email:

Today is the last day that we will be in business. When we put that notification up on the website, we had high hopes of someone either purchasing or investing in the company, but it fell through.

-Tyler

Robar Companies Customer Service

The ROBAR Companies, Inc.

Phone: (623) 581-2648

Robar was very popular back in the day before Cerakote became the standard for aftermarket gun finishes. Robar’s NP3 was one of the earliest self-lubricating, proprietary finishes on firearms that were favored by law enforcement and civilians alike. Unlike Cerakote which certifies and trains gunsmiths to perform the process, customers had to send their guns to Robar in Arizona to get the work done.

Robar did attempt to sell the company but sadly nothing came to fruition.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/08/3...ally-business/
    Last edited by Speederlander; 09-04-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    No more NP3.

ROBAR Companies Inc. Officially Out of Business

Robar, renowned for their self-lubricating NP3 finishes and which has been in business for more than 35 years, is officially closing their doors. Customers have received the following email:

Today is the last day that we will be in business. When we put that notification up on the website, we had high hopes of someone either purchasing or investing in the company, but it fell through.

-Tyler

Robar Companies Customer Service

The ROBAR Companies, Inc.

Phone: (623) 581-2648

Robar was very popular back in the day before Cerakote became the standard for aftermarket gun finishes. Robar’s NP3 was one of the earliest self-lubricating, proprietary finishes on firearms that were favored by law enforcement and civilians alike. Unlike Cerakote which certifies and trains gunsmiths to perform the process, customers had to send their guns to Robar in Arizona to get the work done.

Robar did attempt to sell the company but sadly nothing came to fruition.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/08/3...ally-business/
    This was just discussed in another thread. Just because ROBAR is going out of business does not mean NP3’ing parts is out of the question. CTI is the company that does the NP3’ing.
    @LangdonTactical can explain more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WMD guns say they offer it but it is not listed on their retail form - it would be nice to find a vendor that could process to CTI for us smaller fish- but as Robar may have discovered it might not be that cost effective.

ETA: I’d coat the hammer, hammer strut, trigger bar, trigger and anything that involves the FPBlock.
    Last edited by guymontag; 09-04-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

I’d do the entire pistol.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List