Thread: New Gen5 Glock 17 Fits Tighter in Velo Than Other Glocks

New Gen5 Glock 17 Fits Tighter in Velo Than Other Glocks

I've been carrying a gen4 26, gen4 17, and gen5 19 in the newest Velo. The retention feels identical with each gun. I traded my gen4 17 for a gen5 17 (newest version - front serrations and no frontstrap cutout). The gen5 17 is substantially tighter than the other Glocks I carry in the Velo. It has to be something with the new 17. Interestingly, the new 17 fits normally in my other holsters. It must be a dimension anomaly where the Velo does its retention. Thoughts?

Shot in the dark here, but measure the width of the trigger guard, in a few places, and compare it to the other guns.

I know your variance is between 2 guns of the same gen..

But it annoys the crap out of me when I've encountered this. Going from a 2nd gen G17, to a 3rd gen G19, to a 4th gen G19, in the SAME holster, they'll feel different, retention-wise.

The slight differences with the trigger guard, from gen to gen, make the difference. I'm thankful for adjustable retention.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Shot in the dark here, but measure the width of the trigger guard, in a few places, and compare it to the other guns.

I know your variance is between 2 guns of the same gen..

But it annoys the crap out of me when I've encountered this. Going from a 2nd gen G17, to a 3rd gen G19, to a 4th gen G19, in the SAME holster, they'll feel different, retention-wise.

The slight differences with the trigger guard, from gen to gen, make the difference. I'm thankful for adjustable retention.
    I'm thinking the same thing. I reached out to Tenicor yesterday but haven't heard back. It wouldn't be a problem if I had a dedicated holster just for the new 17 but I carry a 17, 19, or 26 depending on the situation. I could adjust the retention each time but I want to blue loctite the retention screws and then daily adjustments would be a no-go.

Yeah, that's kinda how I am, I don't wanna adjust screws every time I switch, but I'm not switching that often. I do have at least one that's dedicated to the 2nd gen G17 because of this.

I should add I've noticed this issues with multiple holsters...Safariland 295, BladeTech Total Eclipse, JMCK, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Yeah, that's kinda how I am, I don't wanna adjust screws every time I switch, but I'm not switching that often. I do have at least one that's dedicated to the 2nd gen G17 because of this.

I should add I've noticed this issues with multiple holsters...Safariland 295, BladeTech Total Eclipse, JMCK, etc.
    That's the crazy thing - The only holster I'm seeing a HUGE problem with is the new Velo. The new gen5 17 fits my JMCK 2.0, Perun, and Safariland 7378 almost the same as the other Glocks. I traded emails with Jeff at Tenicor and he's sending taller spacers to accomondate the wider 17 and suggests adjusting the screws each time rather than altering the trigger guard.

I'm going to call Glock and see if they've seen this with the latest iteration (front serrations, no cutout) gen5 17. It has to be just this gun because my gen5 19 fits fine.

I would bet that the Gen 5 17 is just on the higher end of the Glock tolerance scale. Based on my experience Tenicor holsters seem to have a more precise fit than other holsters which is likey why you are only seeing the difference with that specific holster. If your frame was way out of spec it would cause issues with all of your holsters.

I think a dedicated holster for that gun is likely your best option, but maybe not the cheapest.

User Tag List