Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TX LEO shoots, kills woman while aiming for loose dog

Site Supporter

TX LEO shoots, kills woman while aiming for loose dog

https://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...ZCF0KIkFGseSn0

Texas city LEO shoots, kills woman while aiming for loose dogA patrol officer accidentally shot and killed a woman when he fired repeatedly at a dog that was charging at him

ARLINGTON, Texas — A patrol officer accidentally shot and killed a woman when he fired repeatedly at a dog that was charging at him, authorities in the Dallas suburb of Arlington said.

The officer and other emergency workers responded Thursday to a welfare check concerning a woman who appeared to be passed out in a grassy area near a commercial district. The barking dog was unrestrained and ran toward the officer as he was calling the woman. The officer began backing away, then drew his weapon and fired at the dog as it continued to charge.

An Arlington Police Department, Texas, patrol officer accidentally shot and killed a woman when he fired repeatedly at a dog that was charging at him, authorities in the Dallas suburb of Arlington said (Photo/Arlington Police Department)
    An Arlington Police Department, Texas, patrol officer accidentally shot and killed a woman when he fired repeatedly at a dog that was charging at him, authorities in the Dallas suburb of Arlington said (Photo/Arlington Police Department)

The woman yelled out after the shots were fired. She was taken to a hospital, where she died. The Tarrant County medical examiner's office identified her as 30-year-old Margarita Victoria Brooks.

It's not clear if prior to the shooting she was suffering a medical emergency or was under the influence of an intoxicant, Arlington police Lt. Christopher Cook said Friday.

Investigators believe the dog belonged to Brooks. The animal survived.
    Gonna need some more context on this but my intial reaction is WTF ?

Was this a medical assistance / alert dog ?

Even if the dog was a legit threat this officers training and judgement really in question. Rule 4?
    Last edited by HCM; 08-02-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Local news is saying the dog is a ~40# lab mix and the officer started as a detention officer in 2012 (IIRC) and graduated the APD academy February of this year. No indication the dog as a service dog of any sort. People in the area saw her and the dog in the area on a regular basis and think she was homeless.
    Last edited by awp_101; 08-02-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

🤦*♂️

As if our job isn’t hard enough and now we have to deal with this. And I’m sure some dipshit union guy will get on the news defending this clusterfuck.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Comes on the heels of the other video out of Dallas of the handcuffed guy dying while officers are making jokes.

Not good.

Site Supporter
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/woman-sho...tains-daughter

Woman shot by Texas cop was fire captain's daughter

In body camera footage released Friday, the young officer can be heard calling out to Brooks, "Ma'am...are you OK? ... Is that your dog? Can you get up?" A small dog, a beagle-Labrador retriever mix belonging to Brooks, appeared to charge at the officer.

That officer, whose name has not yet been released, drew his gun, shouting, "Get back," before firing three times.

The woman can be heard screaming; the bullets apparently grazed the dog but hit Brooks in the chest.

She was rushed to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-03-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Once upon a time, once in blue moon on calls like that happened, that dog would have been shot a lot earlier. First chance to safely shoot the dog would have been taken. That situation got totally out of control over a fear of shooting a dog in a controlled environment. Society lets boohoo dogs are more important than people ninnies dictate policy and this is the result.

It’s a dog and the owner is down, dogs are gonna what dogs do and protect their owner. You can the sweetest puppy in the world, but if your dog thinks you’re hurt, it can display high levels of aggression towards other to protect you.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Repeat after me, “spray works well on dogs.”

Then again, I am the owner of a pair of beagles that charge (while loudly booing) at guests only in hopes of getting petted before the other. I’d be livid if a cop shot either of my dogs running at them to say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    🤦*♂️

As if our job isn’t hard enough and now we have to deal with this. And I’m sure some dipshit union guy will get on the news defending this clusterfuck.
    Union reps have no choice. https://www.nlrb.gov/rights-we-prote...representation

Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    Yes, it does. If I really needed to shoot a dog, I'd grab a shotgun.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Union reps have no choice.
    They have to represent them during hearings, etc. They don’t have to get on the news giving a boohoo sad story about how hard our job is and how he was in fear for his life and they don’t know how hard our job is, blah, blah, blah.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    We'll have to disagree on that one, as I've seen multiple instances of it not.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List