Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon vs Lee dies in a 550

Dillon vs Lee dies in a 550

There seems to be quite a bit of debate online about this and was just wondering what the opinion was on this forum. I'm partial to Lee dies. On a single stage they just seem to work with minimal fuss and work well. It seems some swear by using Dillon Dies on a Dillon Press and others say it doesn't matter. I'm debating setting up a 550 with new Lee dies and Dillon rings.

Any opinions?

I have both but run Dillon dies on the 550 and 650. It was over 20 years ago when I switched from Lee to Dillon so I don't remember why but the Dillon dies are nicer than the Lee offering. One thing I definitely like about the Dillon dies is the spring loaded decapper.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    I've got a 550 and my 9x19 and .40 S&W dies are Lee. The only Dillon dies I have are for .223. The Lee dies seem to be shorter which can make adjustments more awkward. Since I use the same bullet for 9x19 and load in batches of 1000, once the adjustment is done there's no issue. I also think the Lee U sizer die in 9x19 is the best available.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 09-04-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Either are fine, I use Dillons with the Lee FCD to eliminate the "Glock bulge" in brass that was fired in a Glock, I strongly recommend it.
    #RESIST

I started with Dillon dies initially because the size die was supposed to be better for accepting the case in the progressive, never had a problem with them.

I switched to Lee dies when I was loading a lot of 40S&W back when most of the range brass had been shot through early Glocks, and the chatter was that loading the Lee dies sized the forty case a bit farther down to resolve any potential bulge. At first I just used the size die, and it worked fine, and after that I just started using Lee dies.

My Dillon dies might be old enough that I do not remember any spring loaded decaping pin. One thing I really like is the way Lee dies hold the pin in that collet that gives you a range of adjustment so that you can set it so it can slip a little bit if it hits a rock or a Berdan case. I leave it loose enough that I can just tap it back down with a hammer, and usually pound it all the way down and the next case pushes it back up where it needs to be.

And another thing I like about Lee is Squirrel Daddy pins. The Lee pins are nice, but the SD pins are great.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I started with Dillon dies initially because the size die was supposed to be better for accepting the case in the progressive, never had a problem with them.

I switched to Lee dies when I was loading a lot of 40S&W back when most of the range brass had been shot through early Glocks, and the chatter was that loading the Lee dies sized the forty case a bit farther down to resolve any potential bulge. At first I just used the size die, and it worked fine, and after that I just started using Lee dies.

My Dillon dies might be old enough that I do not remember any spring loaded decaping pin. One thing I really like is the way Lee dies hold the pin in that collet that gives you a range of adjustment so that you can set it so it can slip a little bit if it hits a rock or a Berdan case. I leave it loose enough that I can just tap it back down with a hammer, and usually pound it all the way down and the next case pushes it back up where it needs to be.

And another thing I like about Lee is Squirrel Daddy pins. The Lee pins are nice, but the SD pins are great.
    Yup, the Squirrel Daddy pins are essential.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I only use Lee dies in my 550s for pistol and rifle

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yup, the Squirrel Daddy pins are essential.
    Thanks for turning me onto them. Also got the expander pins for 223 and 300BO.

Lee dies will work on the Dillon. I actually like RCBS dies better because of the lock ring and being able to adjust bullet seating depth. Dillon lock rings are no better than Lee's. If you like Lee dies use them.

Most of my handgun dies are from Dillon on a 550b. A few from RCBS, one from Lee and a few Redding crimp dies.
    Loading mostly cast bullets, the Dillon seating and crimp dies can be disassembled for cleaning without taking them off of the plate or lose their position.

Rifle dies are a mixed bag, but no Dillon.
    Redding, Hornady, RCBS.

They all work well.

User Tag List