Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Shotgun Recommendation

Newbie Shotgun Recommendation

Thinking of picking up a shotgun in the next year or so. Never used a shotgun before so looking for a little advice. I was thinking of snagging a LTT 1301.

Intent would be a self defense gun.

Not really interested in a pump for nothing other than I like the idea of just having to pull a trigger and not rack the gun between each shot.

Any other recommendations? Are the Benellis worth the premium?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Since you've ruled out the pump and seem to like the LTT 1301, I'd just get that.

I have an 870, but that's because I bought it 20 years ago and have used it extensively in a variety of activities. If I were buying one today, based on what I've seen in shotgun classes, I'd get a 1301 and call it good. I don't see any reason to consider other options unless it's to get an 870 (that you'll train and practice with).

Chris

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    If you are interested in a defensive shotgun and have zero shotgun experience, the LTT 1301 is a good one-stop-shop option for getting a superb defensive shotgun set up for success.

The 1301 is the finest defensive shotgun on the market and the Aridus accessories just make a good thing better.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    If you are interested in a defensive shotgun and have zero shotgun experience, the LTT 1301 is a good one-stop-shop option for getting a superb defensive shotgun set up for success.

The 1301 is the finest defensive shotgun on the market and the Aridus accessories just make a good thing better.
    Going to be looking to take your class to get me up to speed [emoji23]

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Going to be looking to take your class to get me up to speed [emoji23]

Sept 21 is Shotgun Skills in Culpeper VA. Loaners are available, this would be a chance to kill 2 birds with one shell. Get some learn on, and try out a few different shotguns. Before you buy.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    Sept 21 is Shotgun Skills in Culpeper VA. Loaners are available, this would be a chance to kill 2 birds with one shell. Get some learn on, and try out a few different shotguns. Before you buy.
    If I dont have business travel I might sign up for that.

Buy once, cry once.

You are starting with one of the best-ever fighting shotguns with a current 1301 which is just made that much better by Mr Langdon. Don't see how you can go wrong.

Since you are new to shotties, you will be doing your research. You will hear everyone telling you to pattern your gun with different types and sizes of buckshot (assuming self-defense). Do that. Really.

My guess is you will find Federal Flight Control to pattern the best, but you never know. Hence the exercise.

Like any gun, practice clearing malfunctions. As to reloading, know how to do it, but you will never do it in a civilian gunfight, so don't get too stressed out about it. It's not nearly as easy as we have gotten used to with other platforms, but stress reloads would be 1:1,000,000. Better to transition to a pistol and finish what needs to be done. Of course, if you haven't solved the problem with two or three rounds of 00 buck, you're in over your head anyway. At least, I know I would be.

Enjoy and if you buy the LTT 1301, please come back with pictures and range reports!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    If I dont have business travel I might sign up for that.

It would be a great idea. I hope to see you there!
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

This is what I did, and I am very happy so far. Now, I just need one of TCinVA's classes!

While I certainly don't want to dissuade anyone from buying an LTT 1301 or a 1301 period - I will note that I believe there maybe a nicely spec'ed 870 in the for sale forum (not mine). Which with a Surefire fore-end, ghost rings, extended mag, etc it's already well setup.

User Tag List