Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 12v Air Compressor Recomendation

If you are frustrated by things that break ( I am ), look into ARB's. Beyond that, explore Co2 options for the least amount of moving parts. If leaning toward the piston options, buy two.

Bumping this.

Had a half-blowout in the campervan so tores and air and such are fresh on my mind…

Viair 88P Side by Side/UTV Portable Compressor, Up to 33" tires, 120 PSI, Polaris Ranger, CanAm Maverick, P/N 00082 https://a.co/d/3QO38qG

The above seems like a good option but not sure why they list side by sides for this one?

The ones they sell for RVs just seem To have more shit than we need.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I continue to believe that the Harbor Freight version is a good value for occasional use. (Make sure you get the unit that attaches directly to the battery, not the cigarette lighter. I would invest in the (presumably higher quality) name brand unit if I was going to regularly float down tires or be away from roadside assistance.
    David S.

Did you ever get one of the Milwaukee inflators? I think I would just do that and try and keep up with having a charged battery. You could also buy a cigarette lighter Milwaukee charger to have when things didn't go right.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Did you ever get one of the Milwaukee inflators? I think I would just do that and try and keep up with having a charged battery. You could also buy a cigarette lighter Milwaukee charger to have when things didn't go right.
    I have an m12 inflator and it’s proven capable of getting the van tires up to pressure but I’d prefer wired in this case.

Just ordered one of these

https://www.campingworld.com/viair-r...vs-121663.html
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

While almost certainly overkill, I picked up this ARB unit in 2013 and have been using it ever since. It's quiet and quick, and being a direct-connect to the battery, no worries about pulling too much current from a 12V socket.

I recently bought one of the Milwaukee M18 inflators. It is louder than the ARB, and I dislike the screw-on air chuck, but it is much more convenient to use than the ARB, especially being able to program multiple preset pressure levels into it.

The ARB still lives in the truck full-time for roadside use, but the Milwaukee has taken over for routine air-ups.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    While almost certainly overkill, I picked up this ARB unit in 2013 and have been using it ever since. It's quiet and quick, and being a direct-connect to the battery, no worries about pulling too much current from a 12V socket.

I recently bought one of the Milwaukee M18 inflators. It is louder than the ARB, and I dislike the screw-on air chuck, but it is much more convenient to use than the ARB, especially being able to program multiple preset pressure levels into it.

The ARB still lives in the truck full-time for roadside use, but the Milwaukee has taken over for routine air-ups.
    My beater work truck has an ARB compressor that I pulled off a totalled Jeep Cherokee 20ish years ago bought for parts for my then DD XJ. It sat in storage until ten years ago when I threw it on the truck. Gets used once or twice a year and gives me no issues.

I too just picked up the 18v Milwaukee to keep in my car. I like it. I keep a small 18v impact and Sawzall in there so the batteries were already in place for the compressor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Looking at these now too.
    https://www.viaircorp.com/portables

Looks like in order to get pressure up to do truck tires you gotta go from the cigarette-lighter plug to battery clamps.

That particular brand also doesn’t seem to have an auto shutoff feature which is nice to have.
    I have this one in my 4x4 and use it to air up 32" AT tires after a trail run (it as gone up $20 since I bought it a few years ago):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I

I find the battery clamp power method to be superior because cig-lighter plugs can be flaky and don't support high current draws. Plus, with clamps, I can use a variety of 12v sources.

This pump is quick. I can bring 4 tires from 15lb to 35lbs before my buddy can do one tire with his little cig-lighter car pump.

ETA: I didn't realize I was responding to a 3yo post.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have an m12 inflator and it’s proven capable of getting the van tires up to pressure but I’d prefer wired in this case.

Just ordered one of these

https://www.campingworld.com/viair-r...vs-121663.html
    Well, despite having ordered on 7/27 from camping world, the lump hasn’t arrived and I haven’t even gotten an order confirmation or tracking info from them. I used PayPal so I’ve started the dispute process thought them.

I say all of this to say that if there’s a better option out there, I’m apparently back on the hunt…

User Tag List