Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12v Air Compressor Recomendation

12v Air Compressor Recomendation

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

That Kobalt thing just seems bulky as all hell, no?
    Yes and no.

Yes the Kobalt is a ‘thing’ you grab from the trunk when needed. Yes the air and power cords are coils up inside, adding bulk. Yes it has handles built in to grab it with, adding girth. Yes the pump is enclosed, but against that it is more or less rectangular in shape, and fits easily into a shelf or area without getting squashed.

The Viar was always like wrestling an eel; all the cords are loose and aren’t ‘in’ anything, iIRC I stored it in a box anyway.

They aren’t really that $$$ so you might just pick one. They both worked well and did the job, it’s probably just personal preference at the $50 price point.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-08-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I get that, but you don’t get to pretend like you’re The Coyote trying to blow up Roadrunner with an air compressor. Also, depending on your kids ages they can or could soon be taught to air up their own bike tires withou your help, it ain’t exactly brain-science.
    "get to pretend"?

I have no idea what you're on about, but thank you.

Thank you for reminding me that when I post on the internet asking "what duck should I buy" and someone replies with "you don't need a duck, you need an elephant" that I should just ignore the response altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Looking at these now too.
    https://www.viaircorp.com/portables

Looks like in order to get pressure up to do truck tires you gotta go from the cigarette-lighter plug to battery clamps.

That particular brand also doesn’t seem to have an auto shutoff feature which is nice to have.
    VIAIR are awesome.
    I've used mine for 4 or 5 years now air up and down 36" off-road tires, often multiple times a day.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The Viar was always like wrestling an eel; all the cords are loose and aren’t ‘in’ anything, iIRC I stored it in a box anyway.
    I do wish the hose was on a QD for the Viair. Seems like it would make the whole thing more manageable. I plan to stick the whole thing in a bag with some Velcro cable management.

I bought a Viair 88P recently, and it came in its own little zip closed bag. Very compact.

Here is an article (Originally published in 2015), from Overland Journal, that includes some info regarding the 88P.

The Overland Journal Air Compressor Test - https://expeditionportal.com/the-ove...mpressor-test/

I have the harbor freight version of the Viair for my mini van and sedan. Comes in a fairly compact bag that holds hose and pump. I’m sue the Viair does too. Direct connect to the battery, instead of theu cigarette lighter is a priority for car or truck tires. My Super Duty will get the biggest Viair.
    David S.

And why are we still stuck with the cigarette lighter outlet?
    There should be an auto industry agreement on a standard 12v DC plug that is compact, durable, stays plugged, and handles all the current vehicle wiring will deliver.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Smaller size range than what I’ve been considering but relevant nonetheless.

@rob_s bastard! I was about to post that.

Some interesting results.
    Personally, I see it as a toss up between the Pittsburgh (HF) and HyperTough (Walmart) pumps.
    The former will protect itself, and I don't know where he got the $35.99 Pittsburgh price from (it's $29.99 on the web site) vs. $19.88 for the HyperTough.
    And of course, the 20% off coupon at HF makes it $23.99.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List