Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12v Air Compressor Recomendation

Site Supporter
    While not a truck tire (used this on my Crown Vic and Explorer and the wife's Terrain), I've been impressed with the Viair 70P unit I bought 4 years ago. That compressor and the Longacre tire gauge I got at the same time paid for themselves a few times over. The little compressor has been a workhorse for airing up everything from tires to inflatables and beach balls.

When I do finally get a truck, I'll be getting a properly sized/spec'ed Viair unit.
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 09-04-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Thanks everyone!

It appears that, for my truck tire size, I'll need the Viair 88P, and that should be capable of handling kids floats and bike tires (although he chuck doesn't seem to lend itself to bike tire stems stuck in among spokes) as well. I do wish it had the auto-shut-off feature I've seen in some other makes, but the overall build quality of the Viair seems to trump that.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Thanks everyone!

It appears that, for my truck tire size, I'll need the Viair 88P, and that should be capable of handling kids floats and bike tires (although he chuck doesn't seem to lend itself to bike tire stems stuck in among spokes) as well. I do wish it had the auto-shut-off feature I've seen in some other makes, but the overall build quality of the Viair seems to trump that.
    Anyone have any reason *not* to go with this guy? Any comparable make/model that has an auto-shut-off? The cheapie we have in my wife's car is great because I can turn the knob around the face that you can turn to the desired PSI and it shuts itself off at that pressure. Probably not terribly accurate but keeps me from having to stare at the thing.

Anyone have any reason *not* to go with this guy? Any comparable make/model that has an auto-shut-off? The cheapie we have in my wife's car is great because I can turn the knob around the face that you can turn to the desired PSI and it shuts itself off at that pressure. Probably not terribly accurate but keeps me from having to stare at the thing.
    I bought one of those Viar 88s for the truck/RV on the road in the early days.

If I recall, it had screw on at the valve. This turned out to be a big pita. It worked well enough though.

I ended up buying one of the $40 blue ones from Kobalt at Lowe's. The over-center locks on the inflator worked well and were efficient. The ability to turn it on and let it inflate to specified pressure was nice. And I am pretty sure it worked fine for my rear truck tires on the Ram 2500 (80 psi) (I could be misremembering that.)

Anyway I sold the truck/RV and left the inflator for the next owner as a gift, so I went to Lowe's and bought another one. Neither have given me any issues over the past five years, they just seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    The VIAIR ones are the supposed to be the real deal and some are designed to be installed/hard-wired into vehicles like RVs.

I almost went that route for my F-150 and Travel Trailer, but I also wanted 110v.

I ended up with this from Lowes:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-V...Car/1000092575

Figure there is always a Lowes nearby if it fails. It would take forever to air up a flat truck tire due to volume. If that is your mission then a VIAIR is probably what you need.
    This is exactly the one in my car right now. I bought it for almost identical reasons.

I would only add that keeping my 80 psi rear tires on my Ram 2500 was not an issue with this pump, but I never had to fill them up from flat, of course. Just 1-2 psi a month under normal use like you do.

Site Supporter
    Dude, for bike tires, lawnmowers etc. spend like $30-$50 bucks and get a nice floor pump. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Serfas-TCPG-B...serfas+&sr=8-5

The good ones adapt to presta or schrader valves and the built in gauges are accurate and repeatable. I still use my 12 year old Serfas to check and air up my motorcycle tires and have used it plus some elbow grease to fully inflate truck tires a time or two when I didn’t have an electric pump. It’s soo nice not having to deal with wires and hookups or separate pressure gauges to quickly inflate any small to medium size tire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H39S9JQ/

I recently replaced my Makita air compressor with this. First test was on my a tire on my wife's SUV. It must have a slow leak because the pressure was maybe 14 psi when I started. Took about 5 minutes to get it back to 28 psi.

The things I like about it are: 1) I can run it off the same 20V battery I use for my other DeWalt tools. 2) I can set the desired pressure and it will shut off automatically. 3) It's portable and a lot easier to lug around than my old Makita compressor. 4) I have many bicycles, including several road bikes, and it is supposed to be able to inflate beyond 100 psi. Haven't tested it yet. 5) The little light on the compressor is surprisingly handy.

I've been very happy with this:
    https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...lator-deflator

However, I have several Ryobi cordless tools, so I was staying with the same "battery system."

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I bought one of those Viar 88s for the truck/RV on the road in the early days.

If I recall, it had screw on at the valve. This turned out to be a big pita. It worked well enough though.
    That is a concern of mine as well. Particularly for bike tires. I'm thinking something like this may solve for that?

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    The VIAIR ones are the supposed to be the real deal and some are designed to be installed/hard-wired into vehicles like RVs.

I almost went that route for my F-150 and Travel Trailer, but I also wanted 110v.

I ended up with this from Lowes:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-V...Car/1000092575

Figure there is always a Lowes nearby if it fails. It would take forever to air up a flat truck tire due to volume. If that is your mission then a VIAIR is probably what you need.
    I ended up buying one of the $40 blue ones from Kobalt at Lowe's. The over-center locks on the inflator worked well and were efficient. The ability to turn it on and let it inflate to specified pressure was nice. And I am pretty sure it worked fine for my rear truck tires on the Ram 2500 (80 psi) (I could be misremembering that.)

Anyway I sold the truck/RV and left the inflator for the next owner as a gift, so I went to Lowe's and bought another one. Neither have given me any issues over the past five years, they just seem to work.
    This is exactly the one in my car right now. I bought it for almost identical reasons.

I would only add that keeping my 80 psi rear tires on my Ram 2500 was not an issue with this pump, but I never had to fill them up from flat, of course. Just 1-2 psi a month under normal use like you do.
    That Kobalt thing just seems bulky as all hell, no? @RJ you had both that and the Viair, is the Kobalt bigger or smaller than the 88p?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Dude, for bike tires, lawnmowers etc. spend like $30-$50 bucks and get a nice floor pump. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Serfas-TCPG-B...serfas+&sr=8-5

The good ones adapt to presta or schrader valves and the built in gauges are accurate and repeatable. I still use my 12 year old Serfas to check and air up my motorcycle tires and have used it plus some elbow grease to fully inflate truck tires a time or two when I didn’t have an electric pump. It’s soo nice not having to deal with wires and hookups or separate pressure gauges to quickly inflate any small to medium size tire.
    I'm trying to get a multi-task tool here. use for kid's bikes and toys most common, but also able to take care of the truck tires if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H39S9JQ/

I recently replaced my Makita air compressor with this. First test was on my a tire on my wife's SUV. It must have a slow leak because the pressure was maybe 14 psi when I started. Took about 5 minutes to get it back to 28 psi.

The things I like about it are: 1) I can run it off the same 20V battery I use for my other DeWalt tools. 2) I can set the desired pressure and it will shut off automatically. 3) It's portable and a lot easier to lug around than my old Makita compressor. 4) I have many bicycles, including several road bikes, and it is supposed to be able to inflate beyond 100 psi. Haven't tested it yet. 5) The little light on the compressor is surprisingly handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I've been very happy with this:
    https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...lator-deflator

However, I have several Ryobi cordless tools, so I was staying with the same "battery system."
    If I was on either the Ryonbi or Dewalt systems I'd be looking harder at one of these. I'm on the Milwaukee system and they have this guy but it doesn't appear to have a provision for use without the battery and it's working off their M12 system which doesn't lead me to believe it's going to work for truck tires. I'm still thinking of getting one just to keep in the garage for the kids.
    Last edited by rob_s; 09-08-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Site Supporter
    I'm trying to get a multi-task tool here. use for kid's bikes and toys most common, but also able to take care of the truck tires if needed.
    I get that, but you don’t get to pretend like you’re The Coyote trying to blow up Roadrunner with an air compressor. Also, depending on your kids ages they can or could soon be taught to air up their own bike tires withou your help, it ain’t exactly brain-science.

User Tag List