Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HE508T | First impressions and initial range review, with comparison to RMR

I will contact them. This unit has been bolted on, but not had a round fired under it yet.

Edit. Actually, I had better take it off the mount and double check it on a flat surface first.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 12-04-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I will contact them. This unit has been bolted on, but not had a round fired under it yet.

Edit. Actually, I had better take it off the mount and double check it on a flat surface first.

I have a 507c and I looked through the 507c green model and they were all canted too. Reddit seems to say this is fairly common and not much can be done about it except send it in.

I vaguely remember some saying the battery compartment being too tight might have been part of the cause but I read so much stuff about various red dots that I might be getting things confused with a different dot.

RDS mounted on new pistol

Name:  P320side.jpg
Views: 3121
Size:  83.8 KB
    Name:  P320 rear.jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  29.0 KB

I decided to move the HE508T to my P320RX. It requires very little modification of the slide. Shout out to Mark from L&M Precision Gunworks for doing a fine job of milling my P320RX slide for HE508T use. It was perfect quality and fast. I'd highly recommend anybody looking to use a P320 as a host to consider the P320RX, since you can sell the ROMEO1 or mount it on something else, and the milling job is super cheap since there's so little work involved.

What's interesting to note is that the lower portion of the HE508T is perhaps 0.050" shorter than the Sig ROMEO1 red dot without shroud, so the suppressor-height iron sights are easier to pick up once the Holosun is swapped in. If the the ROMEO1 shroud was used previously, the difference when the HE508T is installed is quite apparent.

I'm going to put the P320RX + HE508T combo to the test on Saturday.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...-08-29.jpg?363
    www.noisefighters.com
    Delivering the first gel-filled ear pads with relief cuts for glasses to pass through.
    No more headaches. Less noise.
    USMC combat veteran designed and made entirely in the USA.
    Direct: 616-226-3551 |Email: team@noisefighters.com
    Based in Grand Rapids, Michigan

I filled out an inquiry form on Holosuns site Wednesday night around 9:30 PM. By 10 am Thursday I got an email back saying to fill out a warranty form and they would send me a prepaid shipping label to send it in. The said the turnaround time may be as quick as 10 days.

Will update when I get it back, but at least they are very responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Due to the type of optic this is, can I safely assume it might be more friendly to those with astigmatism, like the RMR?

If so...this is awfully tempting.
    Not an expert or an optometrist but the Holoson series of dots are less better to my eyes than the RMR is by a noticeable amount with my mild astigmatism but the RMR is the best red dot for me with my particular astigmatism.

My theory for why is this: the tint, the dot size, and the fact that it's an open red dot. For me I've noticed the larger the dot the more crisp it appears to my eye with my astigmatism and this is universal across all dots regardless of maker particular LED technology used open or closed dot etc.

I don't know why the open design improves the dot to my eye but dots like the RMR and the Holosun 407/507 series makes it better than closed tubes like the Aimpoints (No joke Aimpoints look the worst in my eyes and this includes the Holosun and Primary Arms tubes.)

And I think the reason the tint on the RMR helps with the dot looking crisp to me is the tint was designed to contrast against the dot; that tint in the RMR is part of the reason why it had the best battery life of the mini red dots for a very very long time; by making the window tint contrast you can use a lower setting and still make the dot out easily. I think that is why the RMR is the best for astigmatism; that tint means you can turn the brightness down lower and still see the dot preventing the blooming effect from too bright of an LED.

So for me the RMR is still king because of that green tint that everyone else complains about. On all "serious" use pistols I get the 6.5 MOA RMR because it looks crisp to me. I've even put the 3.25 MOA RMR on home defense rifles and yes I guess mud or snow could get in there which is a disadvantage compared to the closed tube options but that 3.25 MOA dot looks crisper to me than any other red dot of similar size which makes it far more useful to me. I like it so much I'm considering if it would look too absurd to put a magnifier behind it.

The one thing new to market that looks promising is the Holosun 407CO which is the model with a 8 MOA ring. I got one last weekend, mounted it to a Glock and I'm going to go sight it in tomorrow so I'll see how it goes but it has the potential to be the best budget option for astigmatism by virtue of not even using a dot at all.

Of course all of this is tricky because everyone's eyes and level of astigmatism is different so your best bet is to check out a few options in person.

Thanks for posting your experience with pistol RDS and astigmatism. It's nice to have another data point.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    The one thing new to market that looks promising is the Holosun 407CO which is the model with a 8 MOA ring. I got one last weekend, mounted it to a Glock and I'm going to go sight it in tomorrow so I'll see how it goes but it has the potential to be the best budget option for astigmatism by virtue of not even using a dot at all.
    I'm wondering if you've had a chance to switch reticles on the Holosun HS407C or HE508T and try out the ring-only reticle (center dot removed). The outer ring is a large 32MOA, of course, so I can understand why you're interested in the smaller 8 MOA ring on the HS407CO.

Also, how did sight in go with the HS407CO?
    www.noisefighters.com
    Delivering the first gel-filled ear pads with relief cuts for glasses to pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisefighters View Post
    Thanks for posting your experience with pistol RDS and astigmatism. It's nice to have another data point.

I'm wondering if you've had a chance to switch reticles on the Holosun HS407C or HE508T and try out the ring-only reticle (center dot removed). The outer ring is a large 32MOA, of course, so I can understand why you're interested in the smaller 8 MOA ring on the HS407CO.

Also, how did sight in go with the HS407CO?

Just to clarify the 407c is the model with just the dot the 507c is the model with the option to switch between dot, 32 MOA ring and 32 MOA ring + dot.

I have a 507c and what I notice is the ring only looks pretty crisp to me but 32 MOA isn't ideal for more precise shooting. (That said 32 MOA is about 8 inches at 25 yards and about 3.2" at 10 yards so in a pinch not the worst thing for a pistol) Having both on seems to be better than the dot alone. I'm not sure if it just tricks my eye or if it's because with the 32 MOA ring on it's easier to find the dot so I can turn the brightness lower.

Sight in went well. It's pretty much the ideal reticle to me for anything in a pistol caliber for sure. Being the aluminium framed model I would probably still put an RMR on anything I would want to trust my life on but I think the 407CO is my new go to budget red dot from here on out. I have been previously using a 6 MOA Vortex Venom red dot as my budget pistol red dot but I like the Holosun 407co so much I'm thinking about swapping all of them out with this. One of my big complaints with the Vortex is that the lowest brightness setting is way way too bright so indoors it starbursts. Also the top load battery compartment is a bigger pain in the ass to use than it's worth.

As I said in my other post I like the large dot on a pistol because I can find it easier and it stays crisp. Some would argue 6-8MOA is too large but 6-8MOA is 1.5-2" at 25 yards and it covers less as you get in closer which IMO makes it the ideal size for a pistol. Well having a ring where the outer diameter is 8MOA and the inner diamter is 6 MOA is just about perfect because closer in you can just treat it like a dot but further out with a smaller target you center the target in the dot. It reminds me a lot of this 22 LR rifle I had that had these olympic style sights where the rear and front sight were both an aperature so to light up the sights you put the smaller circle in the center of the larger circle. It was very intuitive.

I've attached a picture of the reticle on some targets so you can get a sense of scale. The left target is a 3/4 scale USPSA target where I placed a black 3" target sticker in the center and the target on the right is a 14"x22" paper B-29 target. Sorry for the large pictures but it makes it easier to see.

Name:  IMG_20191208_111841.jpg
Views: 2567
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20191208_111848.jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  28.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20191208_111850.jpg
Views: 2962
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20191208_111902.jpg
Views: 3237
Size:  28.2 KB

Here's some pictures of my targets. The top right was 25 yards from a bench done after I got a nice good sight in with the dot. The others were all off hand at 10, 15 and 20 yards.

Name:  IMG_20191208_113110-COLLAGE.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  45.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Just to clarify the 407c is the model with just the dot the 507c is the model with the option to switch between dot, 32 MOA ring and 32 MOA ring + dot.
    You're quite right. My mistake. I must be more tired than I thought...

Here's some pictures of my targets. The top right was 25 yards from a bench done after I got a nice good sight in with the dot. The others were all off hand at 10, 15 and 20 yards.
    Dang. This is very interesting. Now I want to try my HE508T with the circle reticle / no dot and see what kind of groups I get. Thanks again for posting.
    www.noisefighters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Noisefighters View Post
    You're quite right. My mistake. I must be more tired than I thought...

Dang. This is very interesting. Now I want to try my HE508T with the circle reticle / no dot and see what kind of groups I get. Thanks again for posting.

Their model names/number is confusing; it doesn't seem to follow any obvious reason.

Give it a go. The 32 MOA should cover 8 inches at 25 yards which would still be smaller than either target I used. I'm thinking of putting my 507 on a 22 pistol and if I do I'll take some pictures of that too.

I went to the range today and took some pictures of the Holosun 507 reticle today at 25 yards just for some comparison like I said I would.

The targets are the same 3/4 sized USPSA target and the paper 14x22" target.

With the dot and the circle:

And now with just the circle:

It's really hard to get the brightness correct when you're looking through your phone, but you get the idea here, mainly that the 32 MOA ring by itself is almost the exact same with as the 3/4 USPSA target so on a full size target you could center the 32 MOA ring and still have room on either side. Most USPSA does not have you shoot that far; you're ususally inside 15 yards but I didn't think to take pictures at that distance but at 15 yards the 32 MOA ring should cover just under 5 inches or in other words inside of 15 yards it should be smaller than the IDPA 0-ring.

I also went to the steel range and at 10 yards you can see that the 32 MOA ring is smaller than a 6 inch steel plate which just goes to show what I said above:

User Tag List