Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HE508T | First impressions and initial range review, with comparison to RMR

Scratches

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Something I noticed with the Holosun 507, is the front lens seemed to scratch easily. Any thoughts on that aspect of this optic?
    I do not have any input regarding the scratch resistance (or lack thereof) on the HE508T. Best advice, as I'm sure you know, is to only use an optic-quality, clean microfiber cloth to clean the window.

My long-term experience with the SIG ROMEO1 shows that even a careful cleaning regimen can't avoid minor scratches on the lens, mostly due to objects hitting the window. I don't seem to notice them, especially at close range.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...-08-29.jpg?363
    www.noisefighters.com
    Delivering the first gel-filled ear pads with relief cuts for glasses to pass through.
    No more headaches. Less noise.
    USMC combat veteran designed and made entirely in the USA.
    Direct: 616-226-3551 |Email: team@noisefighters.com
    Based in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Noisefighters View Post
    I do not have any input regarding the scratch resistance (or lack thereof) on the HE508T. Best advice, as I'm sure you know, is to only use an optic-quality, clean microfiber cloth to clean the window.

My long-term experience with the SIG ROMEO1 shows that even a careful cleaning regimen can't avoid minor scratches on the lens, mostly due to objects hitting the window. I don't seem to notice them, especially at close range.
    Not sure if you can see this big scratch — but I believe it came from a case bouncing off the front of the optic.

Name:  1025AB59-5D91-4AB7-A535-68DF0671FA9C.jpg
Views: 2823
Size:  36.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not sure if you can see this big scratch — but I believe it came from a case bouncing off the front of the optic.

Name:  1025AB59-5D91-4AB7-A535-68DF0671FA9C.jpg
Views: 2823
Size:  36.2 KB
    That sucks. I'm going to add a polyurethane screen protector to the front lens to prevent that!
    www.noisefighters.com
    Delivering the first gel-filled ear pads with relief cuts for glasses to pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisefighters View Post
    That sucks. I'm going to add a polyurethane screen protector to the front lens to prevent that!
    Never considered that. Have a bunch of that material for cell phones, etc. While I've only noticed a few small nicks on any of my red dots, I still think I'll try that and see if it stays put, affects sight picture/zero, etc. Seems like a good idea!

I will have to check into that as well. What might that do to the lens coating?

Thanks to USPS, my optic that was supposed to be here today is not. Seems to be the norm now.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 09-06-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Aimpoint ACRO P1

Hey everyone,

I can't seem to edit the original post (maybe it's time sensitive?), so here's an update regarding my initial examination and comparison of the Aimpoint ACRO P1 versus the Holosun HE508T.

I'll keep it very brief: the amount of magnification / fisheye distortion on the ACRO P1 appears nearly identical to my eyes as the HE508T. I was somewhat surprised that the glass wasn't as "flat" as the SIG ROMEO1, for example. However, the ACRO P1 glass may have a tiny bit less green tint, but it seemed hard for me to tell. In addition, the ACRO P1 window size appears slightly smaller compared to the HE508T, but not terribly so, perhaps because of its thick, enclosed-emitter housing that forms a toilet-paper tube effect like an Aimpoint T1 / T2. I really liked the buttons on the ACRO P1, though.

As I mentioned on the first post, the ACRO P1's unusual mounting requirements, strange battery, lack of solar power, single (dot-only) reticle choice, heavier weight, and much higher propensity to print in the AIWB position should give anyone pause before plunking down the cash for it. I love Aimpoint as much as anyone, but I only see the ACRO P1 making sense for those users who are running a duty pistol outside the waistband, where the optic is constantly exposed to the elements. In that role, it has no peer and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

So, in my opinion, the HE508T appears to meet the requirements of concealed carry pistol users better than the ACRO P1 and Trijicon RMR. Please read the original post for more context. After trying the ACRO P1, I can now more strongly suggest the HE508T as the preferred pistol-mounted RDS for concealed carry pistol users based on features alone. However, both torture testing and long-term durability testing are needed to form a clearer picture. In addition, based off anecdotal evidence from Holosun HS507C users (the aluminum-housed version of the titanium-housed HE508T), it sounds like adding a transparent lens cover, like on a cell phone, may be necessary to avoid scratches to the front window.
    www.noisefighters.com

@Noisefighters what is the round count through this thing now? Have you racked the mrds off of anything? Not asking if you hit it with a hammer. I think I would have to see some seriously wide spread use of one of these before I would ever switch for my rmr2. Hopefully more people will jump
    on the Holosun train and give this thing a run for its money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding footprint, a top view of the Acro, SRO and Holosun.

Name:  2CE109D2-B798-4039-A976-4AB8E1C9C76B.jpg
Views: 2675
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  9353F4A2-9954-4E24-8340-08F8D832A510.jpg
Views: 2630
Size:  43.4 KB

And, a side view — SRO on top, then Holosun in middle, and Acro on bottom.

Name:  B356732E-16A1-4F67-816D-2EBFEA259515.jpg
Views: 3126
Size:  70.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    @Noisefighters what is the round count through this thing now? Have you racked the mrds off of anything? Not asking if you hit it with a hammer. I think I would have to see some seriously wide spread use of one of these before I would ever switch for my rmr2. Hopefully more people will jump
    on the Holosun train and give this thing a run for its money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m only at a few hundred rounds. As mentioned in my first post, my intent is to keep this thread updated throughout the optic’s life. That said, the HE508T looks to be nearly the same optic as the HS507C but in a titanium housing. The aluminum HS507C has been put through the ringer, most notably by Sage Dynamics, and it seems to survive most everything. I can’t link it right now, but I’d suggest watching the video Aaron put out for that RDS, since he treats it like a hammer and then conducts drop testing, then confirms zero afterwards. It’s one of very few pistol RDS that survived without the glass shattering. Because the HE508T is clad in a more durable material than even the HS507C (please see the original post where I throw out a few reasons why this is), there’s a good chance this RDS is even more durable.

I understand your point of view and don’t think anyone needs to switch until the torture / durability testing is completed. I’m not affiliated with Holosun and don’t care if anyone chooses to buy this thing. However, as a shooter, I do want to let others know that they might want to wait for some HE508T durability results before buying an RMR. The HE508T seems like the better choice at this point.
    www.noisefighters.com

User Tag List