Thread: Wide variation in price for optic cut/refinish/serrations

Wide variation in price for optic cut/refinish/serrations

I’ve always known these discrepancies have existed for various reasons but only now that I have an ACRO P-2 in hand am I really having some difficulty choosing which company to choose for the work. There are a handful of well-known companies that have been doing top notch slide work before RDS were even a thing, there are several others that are well-respected and on the stickied “list”, and still there are dozens of other companies that run the gamut from having a history of doing good work to some others with tons of reported problems. The pricing of their services are quite varied and not always commensurate with their reputation for doing great work.

I’m not sure if the inspiration came from some neat Instagram picture or if it was just out of my own head but a couple months ago I developed a hankering to “build” a G45 with an ACRO, a Modlite PL-350 and various accoutrements all riding in a Tenicor Malus Sol holster. I found a G45 with Apex trigger kit, Trijicon HDs and 3 holsters (including a JM Custom Kydex AIWB) with 50 rounds through it for under 5 bills (original owner got Glock knuckle in those 50 rounds). Took awhile but finally sourced an ACRO P-2 for retail. Now I need the slide cut.

I’ve used a few different places for optic cuts/slide work and been happy each time. This gun requires an optic cut and black nitride refinishing, enhanced side serrations and top serrations are desired but not a deal breaker. Turnaround time is irrelevant.

JagerWerks has periodic specials where they offer an optic cut and black nitride for 100 (80 for the cut, 20 for nitride). You can add top serrations for 20. Turnaround is slow but I’ve taken advantage of this service and really it can’t be beat. I pulled up another big name in the industry and the optic cut, enhanced serrations, top serrations, nitride, and black sights adds up to over 500; this is the one I really want but am I crazy for paying more for the optic than the pistol it rides on? More for the slide work than the gun itself? Those top serrations that Doug at ATEi does are SEXY!!

Does anyone else have heartburn about paying more for the work to mount a RDS than they paid for the gun itself? I don’t know what the point of my post is, I'm just frustrated and vibing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by philpac33 View Post
    I’ve always known these discrepancies have existed for various reasons but only now that I have an ACRO P-2 in hand am I really having some difficulty choosing which company to choose for the work. There are a handful of well-known companies that have been doing top notch slide work before RDS were even a thing, there are several others that are well-respected and on the stickied “list”, and still there are dozens of other companies that run the gamut from having a history of doing good work to some others with tons of reported problems. The pricing of their services are quite varied and not always commensurate with their reputation for doing great work.

I’m not sure if the inspiration came from some neat Instagram picture or if it was just out of my own head but a couple months ago I developed a hankering to “build” a G45 with an ACRO, a Modlite PL-350 and various accoutrements all riding in a Tenicor Malus Sol holster. I found a G45 with Apex trigger kit, Trijicon HDs and 3 holsters (including a JM Custom Kydex AIWB) with 50 rounds through it for under 5 bills (original owner got Glock knuckle in those 50 rounds). Took awhile but finally sourced an ACRO P-2 for retail. Now I need the slide cut.

I’ve used a few different places for optic cuts/slide work and been happy each time. This gun requires an optic cut and black nitride refinishing, enhanced side serrations and top serrations are desired but not a deal breaker. Turnaround time is irrelevant.

JagerWerks has periodic specials where they offer an optic cut and black nitride for 100 (80 for the cut, 20 for nitride). You can add top serrations for 20. Turnaround is slow but I’ve taken advantage of this service and really it can’t be beat. I pulled up another big name in the industry and the optic cut, enhanced serrations, top serrations, nitride, and black sights adds up to over 500; this is the one I really want but am I crazy for paying more for the optic than the pistol it rides on? More for the slide work than the gun itself? Those top serrations that Doug at ATEi does are SEXY!!

Does anyone else have heartburn about paying more for the work to mount a RDS than they paid for the gun itself? I don’t know what the point of my post is, I'm just frustrated and vibing.
    I've had Jagerwerks do four slides and have one I still haven't sent in from the black Friday sale. I see no reason to go elsewhere. I've heard good things about Maple Leaf.

Jagerworks, Maple Leaf, CZ Custom, Cajun Gun Works, and Primary Machine have all done excellent optic milling work for me on several different pistols. They offer different services at different prices and not all of them work on all pistols, but all of their work has been more than satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I've had Jagerwerks do four slides and have one I still haven't sent in from the black Friday sale. I see no reason to go elsewhere. I've heard good things about Maple Leaf.
    Same, Jagerwerks did 4 for me and I have no complaints at all

LTT did my Beretta, and CHPWS did my 1911.

The 1911 cost $148.00 and they mounted the optic for me.

LTT's cost to mill my slide and make my 92 accept a Trijicon RMR was pricey: $365.00.

They are the only two companies that I've used, and would highly recommend the work of either.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List