Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HE508T | First impressions and initial range review, with comparison to RMR

One final threat hijack I promise.

I took the 407CO to the rifle range today. My local range only has fixed berms at 25, 100 and 200 yards so I couldn't do any intermediate distances but I put one of the 407COs on my Scorpion and sighted it in at 25 yards and then took it to 100 yards.

Here is a very bad picture of the reticle at 100 yards:

The target is a 2/3s scale USPSA target so the target is 12 inches across and at 100 yards the 8 MOA ring is almost the same size as the whole target. 8 MOA is 8.34" at 100 yards which means in theory it should have 1.3" on either side of the ring if I center it in the target but it's very hard to see those 1.3" when you center it at least with my eyes. If it were a full size target it'd be 18" across which would no doubt be even easier to use to center it in. (Technically if you were shooting a standard sized USPSA target at 200 yards the ring should appear to be about 1" smaller but I doubt you'd be able to see that difference but you could still make a reasonably easy hit with this reticle at that distance.)

I put one of my 3" sticker targets in the center of the target and using this it was easy to see the 3" circle inside of the ring and assuming that 9mm could drop some at 100 yards but not knowing exactly how much I basically put the bottom inner edge of the ring on the 3" sticker and fired off 20 rounds. This was the target.

I took a Tavor to the range today too with one of the 1.5x mini ACOGs and I honestly found it harder to use that with the 3 MOA dot at 100 yards than this ring; partly because it was a typical overcast PNW day and the range is covered so the fiber on the ACOG was getting little light making it a black reticle so I was trying to find a black dot inside of a black sticker which was hard to do.

All in all I do believe this 8 MOA ring is possibly my favorite reticle for anything in a pistol caliber; really for any gun you are content to only ever shoot inside of 100 yards.
    Last edited by mrozowjj; 01-02-2020 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I filled out an inquiry form on Holosuns site Wednesday night around 9:30 PM. By 10 am Thursday I got an email back saying to fill out a warranty form and they would send me a prepaid shipping label to send it in. The said the turnaround time may be as quick as 10 days.

Will update when I get it back, but at least they are very responsive.
    I received a replacement sight today. It looks exactly the same as the one I sent in.

I received a replacement sight today. It looks exactly the same as the one I sent in.
    That's a bummer but I can't say I'm surprised. Are you just going to live with it or try again?

One of the 8moa ring models I have wouldn't hold windage adjustment so I mailed that back to them last week. Guess I'll see if they fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    That's a bummer but I can't say I'm surprised. Are you just going to live with it or try again?

One of the 8moa ring models I have wouldn't hold windage adjustment so I mailed that back to them last week. Guess I'll see if they fix that.
    Just gonna live with it. I hope they get you fixed up.

It's a small concern and not one that would influence my choice, but still one I notice weekly...
    The really nice addition of the solar panel means the frame around the glass is relatively wide which means the interior side of the glass is deeply recessed. This means it's a pain in the ass to get in there and "clean out the ashtray". It's the interior edges of the glass that are so hard to reach... A finger inside a rag just can't get in there very easily.
    Again, not a deal breaker but definitely an extra bit of aggravation when compared to an RMR.

Just gonna live with it. I hope they get you fixed up.
    Well I got it back and tried to sight it in and again I got a horrible group. I no longer believe it is the red dot though; I firmly stand in the camp that it's the gun... so there is that.

I just got one of these and my first rds. What are you guys doing with the brightness? Leave on manual setting 6? Do you really adjust on the fly as conditions/lighting changes? If so what settings do you use? Living in the blue zone of VA it won't look so great carrying around my slide in public to see what the for looks like in various conditions. I was impatient and mounted it on my slide right away.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    I just got one of these and my first rds. What are you guys doing with the brightness? Leave on manual setting 6? Do you really adjust on the fly as conditions/lighting changes? If so what settings do you use? Living in the blue zone of VA it won't look so great carrying around my slide in public to see what the for looks like in various conditions. I was impatient and mounted it on my slide right away.
    Thanks
    I set mine to the highest setting in the morning and if I remember I knock down two spots in the evening... I'd rather have it too bright than too dim.

So last weekend I noticed during dry fire that my 508T reticle was flashing. Consulting the manual, that is a low battery indicator. This was unexpected -- I installed a Duracell CR2032 in early November and the manufacturer claims 100,000 hours on setting 6. Mine tended to live on settings 10-11 with the 2MOA dot, but this was also my practice gun and thus the shake awake feature (which I know works -- I checked) should have kept the optic off for the overwhelming majority of the time. Nevertheless, OK, whatever, I changed the battery -- four months isn't terrible. Yesterday, six days after the battery change, the dot began flashing at the range -- once again, low battery. I again used a Duracell CR2032, but from a different lot on last week's battery change.

My suspicion is that somewhere along the way the optic developed some sort of battery drain issue. I *think* I've filed a warranty request with the manufacturer, but their website leaves something to be desired and no confirmation e-mail resulted. I may follow up with a phone call this week.

It has not been my week with RDS optics.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    So last weekend I noticed during dry fire that my 508T reticle was flashing. Consulting the manual, that is a low battery indicator. This was unexpected -- I installed a Duracell CR2032 in early November and the manufacturer claims 100,000 hours on setting 6. Mine tended to live on settings 10-11 with the 2MOA dot, but this was also my practice gun and thus the shake awake feature (which I know works -- I checked) should have kept the optic off for the overwhelming majority of the time. Nevertheless, OK, whatever, I changed the battery -- four months isn't terrible. Yesterday, six days after the battery change, the dot began flashing at the range -- once again, low battery. I again used a Duracell CR2032, but from a different lot on last week's battery change.

My suspicion is that somewhere along the way the optic developed some sort of battery drain issue. I *think* I've filed a warranty request with the manufacturer, but their website leaves something to be desired and no confirmation e-mail resulted. I may follow up with a phone call this week.

It has not been my week with RDS optics.
    That's a bummer. When I sent mine in for the crooked reticle thing I got an email response on the next business day. They were pretty easy to work with and quite customer-friendly.

User Tag List