Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: HE508T | First impressions and initial range review, with comparison to RMR

RMR auto adjust is not always perfect (WML can sometimes cause issues) but definitely better than the 508T.
    The 508T has a taller window which can help with finding the dot and tracking it. The bottom portion of the RMR's window is hidden by the deck of the module when looking straight through it as happens when pistol mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    Thanks!

Anyone else with feedback they’d be willing to share?
    recently got a rmr06 on a glock 26. If I could go back I would of done a 508t but honestly with the holosun eps out, it wins. Just my opinion.

Thanks folks!

RE: the Holosun EPS. Langdon now has plates for them, but the problem is they’re ~$95 a set once you factor in tax and shipping, then the EPS is $350-400 depending on model. So that’s ~$500 each to set up my 92G and PX4. If I opt to just run a 508T or RMR for now, I could save $150-225 per pistol depending on which model I go with. That’s significant, plus the unknown backorder times. If the EPS proves itself, I’ll likely upgrade both eventually, but right now that’s not an option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    NECROPOST!!!

Sorry about that, but this seems to be the only 508T specific thread here, so I felt it most belonged in this thread for now.

Anywhooo… I’m about ready to purchase an RDS or two for my 92G and PX4. I’m toying with the idea of a 509T for the 92G, but would have to buy a new plate for it. The EPS also appeals to me for the PX4, but again, a new plate setup would be required and the EPS are rare as hen’s teeth. Since the PX4 in particular will be a concealed EDC, I’m OK with using an open emitter, and thus need to decide between going with an RMR or the 508T.

My main holdup: ideally, I’d like to use the auto-adjust setting to save juice when concealed. I hear the RMR trumps the 508T here, as it is more “accurate”/responsive to adjusting to the target’s brightness whereas the 508T seems to adjust to the lighting over or near the unit itself. I’m looking to see if current models have improved there or not before I make my decision, hence this post. Any feedback I can get comparing the 508T to the RM06 or RM07 would be ideal. Thanks!
    I would recommend against the auto adjust on either the RMR or 508T. They just do not work well enough when you are dealing with varying light conditions, particularly when you add weapon lights, handheld lights, etc. The 508T allows battery changes without removing the optic. CR1632s can be had for $2-$3 each. If you're concerned about it, replace every year or every six months or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    I would recommend against the auto adjust on either the RMR or 508T. They just do not work well enough when you are dealing with varying light conditions, particularly when you add weapon lights, handheld lights, etc. The 508T allows battery changes without removing the optic. CR1632s can be had for $2-$3 each. If you're concerned about it, replace every year or every six months or whatever.
    Thanks. Have you actually compared them back to back, in person, in the varying lighting situations you mention? Or do you have a link to a reputable source that has done this? I’m looking for actual feedback, not anecdotal stories, so just making sure I’m getting real-world advice from someone who’s experienced with both.

I've got several of each and have used them extensively. The ONLY pistol optic that I have seen that I felt could keep up was the SCS, although to my eye it is almost always brighter than I would like. Everything else is usually dimmer than I would like and slower to respond.

Ultimately, all of this is subjective when we're talking about how our eyes perceive a particular optic in a particular set of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    I've got several of each and have used them extensively. The ONLY pistol optic that I have seen that I felt could keep up was the SCS, although to my eye it is almost always brighter than I would like. Everything else is usually dimmer than I would like and slower to respond.

Ultimately, all of this is subjective when we're talking about how our eyes perceive a particular optic in a particular set of circumstances.
    Awesome, thanks for confirming that and for your feedback.

Ultimately I suppose you’re right regarding individual perceptions. Since both my pistols currently have the RMR plate, I may just have to save up and purchase one of each and compare for myself to see which I prefer and/or whether I trust the auto adjust on them.

Since you don’t seem to use that feature, what’s your preferred brightness setting for EDC that you anticipate will work with your own needs most of the time? I realize I’ll have to figure that out for myself when I get my optics, but I’m curious where most end up keeping their brightness at. Thanks again!

I try to pick a brightness that will work in any lighting condition. I think the most challenging light condition is either very bright sunlight or, more likely, against a high output weapon or handheld light.

If I'm messing around with brightness I'll use my weapon light (X300 Ultra or Turbo, usually) against a white wall and use that to index the brightness. Generally, for me, that's going to be the second highest brightness on a red Holosun, the second or third highest on an RMR, and maybe the third or fourth highest on a green Holosun. I have some red color vision deficiency, so your mileage still vary. There are folks I work with whose dots I can barely see at their chosen setting, but they say they're fine with it and their shooting supports it.

Other than the battery location, my biggest issue with the Type 2 RMR is the brightness resetting itself to ambient conditions after several hours. If the gun is under a concealment garment or in a dark room when that happens, the dot may be too dim to see. It's obviously the shooter's responsibility to know the status of their gear, but not having an optic that is able to actively work against you would be my preference.

User Tag List