Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HE508T | First impressions and initial range review, with comparison to RMR

Base on my experience with the 407c, I'm giving strong consideration to swapping my RMRs out for 508T's.

OTOH, On a couple recent (last couple days) Instagram Live Chats, Steve Fisher has said that he is testing a new Holosun pistol optic that he can't show us. I'm going to wait and see what that's all about.
    David S.

I wonder if it’s the closed emitter model that has been floating around in the rumor mill.

I have had my HS508T for a while and haven’t even shot it yet. It did not fit the pocket milled for a 407 quote as tight as I had hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I wonder if it’s the closed emitter model that has been floating around in the rumor mill.
    https://holosun.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=96

I'd think a real winner would be keeping the RMR footprint and making it enclosed.

HE509T

Hey everyone,

Thanks for updating this thread with Sage Dynamics' review of the HE508T. It appears he came to the same conclusions I drew in the first post, but he was actually able to definitely prove (with a sample size of one) that the new titanium housing can withstand some serious abuse, basically on the same level as the RMR. It's nice to have someone like him doing all the hard work!

One thing I noticed about his RDS reviews is that he doesn't always mention optical distortion and tint, nor compare the reviewed optic's distortion / tint to some baseline LED emitter-based optic like the Aimpoint T2 (which could be considered the gold standard). As mentioned earlier, the HE508T has some fisheye distortion and it's at the level where I do not see it as a problem, while the RMR is just plain annoying to me; the HE508T basically has no noticeable tint during use, while the RMR has a green tint that is distracting to me. Your mileage may vary.

Aaron mentioned the shake-awake feature we've been discussing and how he doesn't want to trust it. Please be aware that it can be turned off easily or the timeline for the optic going to sleep can be adjusted.

Quick update: I put another few hundred rounds through my G45 MOS with HE508T last weekend and there were no issues. It's kept zero and functions the same as new.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    https://holosun.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=96

I'd think a real winner would be keeping the RMR footprint and making it enclosed.
    Tod-13,

I used to think the same thing. For immediate compatibility, that would make the most sense. However, after initially inspecting the ACRO P1 and being disappointed on both its unusual mounting system and (IMHO) inferior feature set, I revisited the optic recently and came away with an entirely different opinion on the mounting system. What Aimpoint has done is eliminated the above / below battery tray issue that plagues current generation pistol-sized RDS and simultaneously provided a (relatively) quick detach mounting system that is weaver / picatinny compatible and super low profile. It does away with the proprietary, mutually-incompatible #6-48 gunsmith screw-based mounting patterns used by the RMR / Deltapoint / Viper / Docter.

As we all know from mounting RDS to carbines, the screw / clamp method is basically bombproof and can, with the right setup, provide quite reliable return to zero after removal / reattachment. With Holosun now adapting the ACRO-style screw / clamp mounting system for their soon-to-be-released HE509T enclosed emitter RDS, it may be more future proofed.

For everyone's info, Aimpoint is selling ACRO mounting plates for nearly every pistol that comes RDS-ready from the factory. The list of mounts can be found on the product description page on the bottom right. Once the new Holosun HE509T is released, I'll likely pick up some plates and switch everything over to this new system. I don't see a downside in moving from open emitter to enclosed emitter and from a proprietary mounting pattern to the ACRO-based weaver / picatinny system...let me know if you do.

-Neal
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...-08-29.jpg?363
    www.noisefighters.com
    Delivering the first gel-filled ear pads with relief cuts for glasses to pass through.
    No more headaches. Less noise.
    USMC combat veteran designed and made entirely in the USA.
    Direct: 616-226-3551 |Email: team@noisefighters.com
    Based in Grand Rapids, Michigan

^^^ My concern with an ACRO/Picatinny style mount for a pistol is two-fold...
    1. It will be difficult to mount as low as the top screw systems increasing the height over bore and necessitating stupidly tall irons.
    2. The increased height will make the pistol more difficult to conceal.
    Solve or at least mitigate those two issues and I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    1. It will be difficult to mount as low as the top screw systems increasing the height over bore and necessitating stupidly tall irons.
    Not sure about the BUIS iron issues, as a RMR and SRO on a MOS plate seem to require taller irons than an Acro on a MOS plate.

Name:  2A3F8D38-9D03-4974-AC75-40CA827C1724.jpeg
Views: 2116
Size:  94.6 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Acro sits lower than screw mount optics in my experience.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Quoting Noisefighters

As we all know from mounting RDS to carbines, the screw / clamp method is basically bombproof and can, with the right setup, provide quite reliable return to zero after removal / reattachment. With Holosun now adapting the ACRO-style screw / clamp mounting system for their soon-to-be-released HE509T enclosed emitter RDS, it may be more future proofed.

For everyone's info, Aimpoint is selling ACRO mounting plates for nearly every pistol that comes RDS-ready from the factory. The list of mounts can be found on the product description page on the bottom right. Once the new Holosun HE509T is released, I'll likely pick up some plates and switch everything over to this new system. I don't see a downside in moving from open emitter to enclosed emitter and from a proprietary mounting pattern to the ACRO-based weaver / picatinny system...let me know if you do.

-Neal

Neal is the HE509T the same mounting base as the ACRO? I thought I had read this somewhere but haven't been able to verify that info. If so maybe I will wait until the HE509T is released to have my P320's milled.
    Last edited by Steven T; 10-31-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven T View Post

Neal is the HE509T the same mounting base as the ACRO? I thought I had read this somewhere but haven't been able to verify that info. If so maybe I will wait until the HE509T is released to have my P320's milled.
    I cannot confirm they'll use the exact same mounting base as I have no first hand knowledge. Some people at IWA 2019 claimed a Holosun rep said that they're going to make RMR-to-HE509T adapter plates. Holosun also advertises the product as using an "Industry standard footprint for your pistol mounting needs" and I have to believe they've copied the ACRO footprint.

Regarding the backup sight height, it will be very interesting to see how the HE509T compares to the ACRO and what will be required to make them work. As far as I've seen, the only real HE509T in the wild was mounted on a picatinny rail adapter that slid into a rear sight dovetail on a Glock airsoft gun, so it's hard to draw conclusions.
    Last edited by Noisefighters; 10-31-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...-08-29.jpg?363
    www.noisefighters.com
    Delivering the first gel-filled ear pads with relief cuts for glasses to pass through.
    No more headaches. Less noise.
    USMC combat veteran designed and made entirely in the USA.
    Direct: 616-226-3551 |Email: team@noisefighters.com
    Based in Grand Rapids, Michigan

User Tag List