Thread: Beretta 80 series D spring. Does one exist?

Beretta 80 series “D spring”. Does one exist?

I recall hearing something about this when one of the waves of police surplus .380’s surfaced from Europe... but can’t find squat now. My google-fu is failing me. Though beretta never made a factory D spring for these, I suspect replacing the hammer spring with something else would have the same effect we get on the 92 series guns.

And $210 beretta 81’s are here now. Would make a nice bridge from .22 to centerfire for the uninitiated and/or recoil averse.
    Last edited by jandbj; 09-03-2019 at 06:20 PM.

@jetfire

Any info you’d be willing to share with the group?

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    @jetfire

Any info you’d be willing to share with the group?
    Please note that the following is not sanctioned by Beretta at all - however, Wilson Combat GP100 springs will replace a Beretta 80-series main spring. The GP100 spring is a bit fatter, but it fits quite nicely. I am using a 12 pound spring in my 84, which has given me a shockingly good trigger pull. However, because the gun is a straight blowback, the mainspring is part of the recoil system. By lowering the spring rate you accelerate the wear on the recoil spring itself. An off-books conversation with a Beretta employee results in a recommended spring change interval of 500 rounds for the recoil spring and 1,000 for the mainspring.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Please note that the following is not sanctioned by Beretta at all - however, Wilson Combat GP100 springs will replace a Beretta 80-series main spring. The GP100 spring is a bit fatter, but it fits quite nicely. I am using a 12 pound spring in my 84, which has given me a shockingly good trigger pull. However, because the gun is a straight blowback, the mainspring is part of the recoil system. By lowering the spring rate you accelerate the wear on the recoil spring itself. An off-books conversation with a Beretta employee results in a recommended spring change interval of 500 rounds for the recoil spring and 1,000 for the mainspring.
    Did he happen to mention the recommended replacement interval for the recoil spring in standard configuration?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Did he happen to mention the recommended replacement interval for the recoil spring in standard configuration?
    If he did I brain dumped that information almost immediately, sorry.

Caleb,

Thanks so much for this info! A buddy bought a pair of the 81’s from Aim. I just ordered the GP spring kit today. Will order a 15lb & 16lb XP recoil spring from Wolff.

Does anyone have a source in spare mags for the Series 81s?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

The guns are already here... I suspect someone is sitting on plenty of surplus mags to release at a later time. Beretta does runs of these periodically too.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    The guns are already here... I suspect someone is sitting on plenty of surplus mags to release at a later time. Beretta does runs of these periodically too.
    That’s was my speculation as well. Beretta USA is currently out and Beretta EU will not ship to the states.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

By lowering the spring rate you accelerate the wear on the recoil spring itself. An off-books conversation with a Beretta employee results in a recommended spring change interval of 500 rounds for the recoil spring and 1,000 for the mainspring.
    He wasn't just kidding, I'm sad to report. I have a Beretta 84 from 1979 (year code 'AE'), where a previous owner didn't bother to replace recoil spring. The result was a massive peening where the slide slammed the frame. Once the frame starts going bad in that area, there's no going back: even if new springs are installed, the slide already dug into the frame and now it's going to hit at an improper angle and continue digging. The gun is a show piece in a display box now.

User Tag List