Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Firearms and Ammo Policy Change

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Amazon synthetic is very highly rated and is the same as the Walmart stuff.
    I crossed any Walmart house brand lubes off my acceptable-to-use list several years ago when they had to stop selling some stuff that was tested independently and found to not meet the standards it was labeled as meeting. I don't have time to keep up with whether a given product they are selling now is OK; they've shown they're willing to sell fraudulently labeled product under their own brand. Good enough for a do-not-buy from me.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Angry Walmart thinks only handguns are used for mass shooting...

Walmart will continue selling hunting ammo.
    Hunting ammo cannot kill humans, they only kill deer and pigs.

Walmart, if you really want to stop, stop selling all ammo and guns.
    Oh also, bows and arrows.
    Anything that can kill human.
    If you can't do that, then don't just stop selling handgun ammo.
    Stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I'm going off-topic here, so my apologies. I did consider making this a private message, but as I don't know US telecomms that well someone else can correct me if they feel I am talking BS.

I live on a different continent, so things might be a bit different. That said, I moved to near a village with about 900 residents some five years ago, and my choices of Internet access are limited realistically only to cellular. I still manage to bring down the quality of discussions here, shop online, watch Netflix, etc. on a piss poor quality 4G connection with no major issues.

There are some limits to what can be done due to the lack of quality of our connection. For example, my girlfriend can't listen to music online at the same time as I am having a teleconference on Skype. But in general, we manage just fine. (And with a better antenna, we might even get a slightly better connection. I have one just sitting on a desk, but testing it has been problematic with the weather just not co-operating with our schedule. Hell, the only reason I am reading this whole thread is because it started to rain heavily just around the time I decided to go outside.)

My point being, I wouldn't let the lack of a better Internet connection get in the way of a desire to go rural if 4G is available. (Now 3G, that can be a bit of a pain in the arse to use...)
    It is not just the AT&T 4G connection; it is also the low signal strength that drives the change from AT&T LTE to AT&T 4G. The cellular companies do not get a financial payback for the investment in a tower that serves 300 people. The low signal strength effectively lowers the available channel bandwidth. When I did the tests, I could not get a mobile Google finance page to load on my iPhone in less than thirty seconds.

[ETA] AT&T 46 LTE provides 9.7-50.2 Mbps download while AT&T 4G is rated for 2.4-7.1Mbps download. In my experience, 4G averages even lower than 2.4Mbps. https://about.att.com/sites/broadband/performance [/ETA]
    Last edited by farscott; 09-05-2019 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added data

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Amazon synthetic is very highly rated and is the same as the Walmart stuff.
    Havoline is better oil... And cheaper!

Hell, I would pay the extra $2-4 for Mobil 1 over the Amazon oil. At least you have Mobils backing.

Also, QSUD is another great option, with a rebate is cheaper than Amazon.

Back to the topic, I will need to think on whether I go back to Walmart. I do have other options.

Site Supporter
    The only thing I buy at Walmart anymore is diabetic test strips at $17/100. My insurance copay for 50 strips was $30 so I will continue to buy those. Haven't bought ammo from them in a few years.

Banned
    National-WorldWalgreens asks customers not to openly carry guns in its storesRetailer joins Walmart, Kroger with policy

(CNN) - Five retailers have announced this week that they will start asking customers not to openly carry guns into their stores in states where open carry is legal.

Walgreens, CVS and Wegmans announced the new policy Thursday afternoon, following announcementsfrom Walmart and Kroger on Wednesday.

"We support the efforts of individuals and groups working to prevent gun violence, and continually review our policies and procedures to ensure our stores remain a safe environment," CVS said in a statement.

All of the retailers will still allow law enforcement officers to openly carry firearms.

Companies have faced increasing pressure from customers and employees to take action to prevent gun violence after a spate of mass shootings in recent weeks, including one inside a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas. The moves represent a major shift in the way retailers are positioning themselves in the gun debate.

Walmart is the country's largest retailer. CVS and Walgreens are the largest and second-largest pharmacy chains. The companies have thousands of stores in places where customers may be opposed to restrictions on when and where they can carry guns, but all have now aligned themselves with the movement for gun reforms.

"Prohibiting open carry sends a very strong cultural signal that companies are siding with the safety of families," said Shannon Watts, founder of advocacy group Moms Demand Action, which has spent years pushing these and other companies to stop allowing open carry.

"They know their customers are with them on this ... they want to be on the right side of history but they also know that these actions are good for business," Watts said.
    It's spreading

I said it the other thread in a slightly different way but we have the radical open carry idiots to thank for this.

I don't open carry. I think open carry is a really dumb thing to do but I support your right to make your own decision on that.

It's not the guy walking around with a Hi-Point on his hip that's got people freaked out, it's the idiot walking around Walmart or Starbucks with an AR on his back
    Last edited by Cypher; 09-05-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Site Supporter
    Prohibiting open carry sends a very strong cultural signal that companies are siding with the safety of families
    That's an important point. OC may be a theoretical right but all the OC ban signs send a message to most folks that gun carriers are not to be trusted. In TX, the concealed carry signs were rare, but now the OC signs are everywhere. Just like no smoking signs send a cultural message that smoking is a bad thing, the OC signs do the same. It was a major intellectual failure on the part of the rabid OC posers and ego driven exhibitionists not to see this or perhaps even wanted to shock. The idea that OC would make the average person accept guns was washed away with folks like the Chipolte Twins and other AR audit folks - along with the rampages.

Given the failed messaging of the NRA outside of the choir, gun rights will be on a slide from the high point of the CCW movement.

Walmart should add security to its stores if its going to ban guns, says former Hardee's CEO

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60838101...#sp=show-clips
    Last edited by Amp; 09-05-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Argue whatever you want about the rationality and ultimate morality of WalMart's decision, it was a well calculated bit of virtue signaling which will probably help their bottom line.

Crying about the irrationality and immorality of Wal-Mart's decision is pointless virtue signaling that does nothing but perhaps make us feel better for a second.

Propaganda is neither good nor bad as a concept. But the NRAs utterly pointless virtue signaling to the most extreme cultural warriors among 2A supporters has been one of the most counter-productive propaganda campaigns ever. It couldn't have been more destructive if Bloomberg had managed a secret takeover of the NRA and put in brilliant and rabid propagandists who formulated messages to make us look completely racist and insane.

We can cry, or we can step our game up. Step one: stop indulging in sunk cost fallacy and let the NRA die. It is utterly ruined as an effective public voice for us for a generation, at least.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Oh, and another tip of the hat to the equally pointless virtue signaling OC folks.

No one gives half a fuck about your ideological purity. Y'alls actions have not done a damn thing to "normalize guns." You made it look bizarre.

User Tag List