Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Firearms and Ammo Policy Change

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I guess it depends where you live, I live in a very rural place and have to travel 30 miles each way just to get to a Walmart. I have never seen good ammo deals that others here have seen, ever. In fact my local LGS has better ammo prices. Then again most of the meat I see in my nearest Walmart is turning green, and I just took a picture of the clearance frappe with completely rotted strawberries on top.

I have also seen a drunk dude piss right in the beer isle. Guess my Walmart is different though, because I don't know one person who looks forward to going, not one.

You can get into reloading fairly cheap these days and do not need a progressive press that is fully automated to get started. If you only shoot 9mm then it probably isn't worth it.
    Same in our area. I checked online for the local Walmart price on .308 ammo. Two of my local vendors that list their prices online meet or beat that price.

As for reloading. I reloaded when I had a young family. Kids can be fantastic helpers and I lost track of how many 5.56 my kids tumbled, trimmed and hand primed. I had a regular factory going when they were still around. Now it sucks because I have to do it myself, but they aren't shooting my ammo up either.

And finally.. I have no clue why any retailer that isn't specifically into selling guns and sporting goods would even stock guns and ammo. There is no money in it. I'm an FFL that owns a hardware store, equipment rental and Stihl shop. I don't stock guns or ammo because every single thing I currently sell have vastly higher profit margins. Why give up the space for low margin stuff?
    Last edited by AKDoug; 09-04-2019 at 10:21 PM.

I also thought I read something to the effect that not all Walmart were going to stop the sale of guns and ammo, but more location base. I guess that was wrong though.

Funny story I forgot about was the time a guy came in the front door while I was checking out with a shotgun resting on his shoulder. I really thought I was shooting someone that day! I started crouching down between the checkout lanes and was waiting for him to start leveling the shotgun. Luckily he didn't, he was just an idiot trying to return a shotgun he bought there. I didn't see one person bat an eye either until at least a minute or two later smh.

I thought Walmart already had a strategy to stop the sale of ammo via never having anyone at the gun counter?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    This is the part of their memo that I find most bothersome:

"We do not sell military-style rifles, and we believe the reauthorization of the Assault Weapons ban should be debated to determine its effectiveness.We must also do more, as a country, to understand the root causes that lead to this type of violent behavior. Today, I’m sending letters to the White House and the Congressional leadership that call for action on these common sense measures. As we’ve seen before, these horrific events occur and then the spotlight fades. We should not allow that to happen. Congress and the administration should act."

I don't have any problem with them not allowing open carry in their stores. I disagree with their decision to not sell handgun ammo. Prior to the ammo drought 2009, it was pretty standard for me to swing by Wal Mart before heading to the range. Those are their business decisions though. But, why venture into politics?

They were happy to sell AR's when everyone was panic buying them in 2012-13.

Lots of other places for me to shop these days.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/03/the-...gun-sales.html

Quote Originally Posted by sandy11B3V5W View Post
    I'm just a working class guy with a young family. I've got no time to sit in my basement and pump a reloading press. I'm one of the poors, so I buy my ammo 2 to 5 hundred rounds at a time.

All 4 Walmarts in my town sell 150 round boxes of Winchester 124 grain NATO for 27 dollars and 200 round boxes of Federal Champion 115 grain for 33 dollars. It's always in stock and there's always somebody there to sell it to me. I'm in and out in less than 10 minutes. Who competes with that? Nobody, not even SG ammo.
    That's sixteen to eighteen cents per round, and there are multiple options at that price on sgammo and others. If you're willing to shoot Wolf you can get that cheaper. Instead of spending $33 a few times, save it up and buy a case.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I'm just a working class guy with a young family. I've got no time to sit in my basement and pump a reloading press. I'm one of the poors, so I buy my ammo 2 to 5 hundred rounds at a time.

All 4 Walmarts in my town sell 150 round boxes of Winchester 124 grain NATO for 27 dollars and 200 round boxes of Federal Champion 115 grain for 33 dollars. It's always in stock and there's always somebody there to sell it to me. I'm in and out in less than 10 minutes. Who competes with that? Nobody, not even SG ammo.

The cracks about Walmart and the people who shop there sound pretty arrogant to me. Are you guys really too good to walk in to a Walmart to buy some of life's mundane shit? Where are you getting your 9 dollar coffee pot to take to work? Or some 2 dollar laundry baskets?
    I feel for you.

I think you are representative of today's WalMart shopper - just trying to get by doing the best they can. I'm very sorry that corporate virtue signalling seems to have trumped any focus WalMart might have had on your particular interest - namely purchasing a legal product in their stores at a price set by the company's massive bulk buying power and product distribution framework.

I've shopped at WalMart lots of times on the road in an RV doing extended travel - it's often the most reliable source of household goods and services at a cheap price. Sure it might be in a sketchy part of town, and attended by sketchy people, but if you go between 9AM and noon most weekdays, it was manageable.

Now I'm working again, I don't have any need to go to WalMart. Had a conversation with the Mrs. last night that we very likely never will. I have the advantage of sgammo.com or targetsportsusa.com or luckygunner.com for ammo supplies online. I've not bough ammo at a store for a couple years; less a couple boxes of gr .38 for a small revolver before I settled on a specific load. I'm also pondering how much, exactly, ammo is "enough" for me and what I do; which is the same conversation I had with myself before the 2016 election.

With Kroger piling on as well, I see other major corporate boards smelling blood in the water and joining the Circus - I'd be surprised if we don't see additional announcements in the coming weeks.

I haven't thought about it for years but in 2014 when I started shooting you literally could not find 9mm ammo anywhere, WalMart included. You had to have an app and refresh it daily to find a store that had stock to buy if you wanted a box or two. And hot foot it to the store when it showed up otherwise the Retirees got there first and cleaned it out lol.

I like to hope for the best but plan for the worst. I spent some time in Cali recently, and you only have to look at the situation there to see what could be coming nationwide. With a chance that a D takeover next year is at least possible, I'll be evaluating my current uh stockpile and probably moving into investing long term this fall and winter before ammo prices go nuts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    390,000 people are injured or killed in car accidents in the US every year due to texting and driving. I wonder how many of those cell phones or plans were purchased at WalMart. Those people have more blood on their hands than just the guns and ammunition they sell.

And then of course there is the whole alcohol thing.......

And since hammers are used to kill more people every year than modern sporting rifles, I wonder how many of those hammers were sold by WalMart?

The bowels of Hell will be full of WalMart execs if they don't do something!

Cynicism aside - Sad as WalMart was the place of my very first gun purchase a Browning mkIII HiPower.
    Don't forget tires and the basic vehicle services they provide...

Total fucking hypocrisy...ban ammo....keep tires...because do something.

Fucking clown nation.

Site Supporter
    I've got no time to sit in my basement and pump a reloading press.
    No shit right here.

and I only buy 200 at a time because I don't want to commit $200-$300 to a potential dud of a lot of 1000 rds and be stuck with it.

Site Supporter
    Can't even discuss a major news item like this with out it turning into pages of:

Walmart virtue signaling
    Open Carry vs Conceal carry
    Look at me I buy 10,000 rds at a time
    Look at me I reload all fucking day

This thread is a really good illustration of why the RKBA is gonna hit the toilet in the not too distant future.

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    No shit right here.

and I only buy 200 at a time because I don't want to commit $200-$300 to a potential dud of a lot of 1000 rds and be stuck with it.
    Your dud lot statement piques my interest. Have you seen this to be an issue?
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

User Tag List