Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Firearms and Ammo Policy Change

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Under siege; that’s a feeling (as a gun owner)I haven’t had since the Clinton years and the 94 AWB. While the growth of concealed carry across the country has been amazing, the perceived up tempo of mass shootings is crushing our ability to blunt their “gun violence” narrative. Wal-Mart’s policies reflect their confidence that the majority will be just fine with this move, and I’m increasingly concerned they’re right. Not only Wal-Mart, but it seems Corporate America is increasingly complicit in this asymmetric attack on our rights as well.
    Hopefully, maybe, Providence willing lots of voters will remember that and turn out and vote.

I think the 2020 election will be a historic one beyond anything we have seen to date.

If the Left wins the Senate, House and Executive with all their Gun Confiscation, Green New Deal, Reparations, etc rhetoric that will signal a sea change in America.

I fear our guns and "gun culture" will have a tragic boating accident in that sea.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    390,000 people are injured or killed in car accidents in the US every year due to texting and driving. I wonder how many of those cell phones or plans were purchased at WalMart. Those people have more blood on their hands than just the guns and ammunition they sell.

And then of course there is the whole alcohol thing.......

And since hammers are used to kill more people every year than modern sporting rifles, I wonder how many of those hammers were sold by WalMart?

The bowels of Hell will be full of WalMart execs if they don't do something!

Cynicism aside - Sad as WalMart was the place of my very first gun purchase a Browning mkIII HiPower.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-03-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I’m leaving to hop a plane for Hawaii on Sunday and I’m bringing two books with me. Brian Enos’ Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundametals and a Steve Anderson book. My wife was concerned that I may spook the other passengers with my reading material.

In 2019, being a middle-class straight white male who is also a Christian and shows an interest in firearms, other people now worry about how the general public perceives me. This is the America we live in now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. Ten times, this.

I have made a conscious effort not to ever, even jokingly, threaten anyone for fear of how it could be twisted in court, and it's just rude. Even with that history, part of my family is worried about what red flag laws will mean for men like me. The other half of my family is silent, probably programming the Feebs' number into the iPhones, salivating as they wait for legislation to be passed.

As for Walmart, they took a hard left turn as soon as the Old Man stepped down years ago. It's just gotten progressively wore. They have been smart enough to recognize their market, but I guess now the execs and family want to virtue signal to their best buddies, thinking they are too big to fail. Screw 'em. Didn't personally shop there before because it's too far too walk for a tube of toothpaste. Just laid the recent truth on the wife, and she said it before I did - "well, no more shopping at Walmart."

It is a shame Walmart is stopping the sale of ammo. When I was a student (ie poor), Walmart allowed me to nurture my budding gun passion 200 rounds at a time. Other brick and mortar retailers like Big 5 and gun shops were too expensive for the Poors like myself. So I think this is a big deal and big blow to any grass root efforts to expand the gun culture. The AWB of 1994 really opened my eyes. Every election year since 1994, I do the same thing: 1) vote; 2) actually contribute to campaigns of politicians who support my views; and 3) stockpile on ammo, mags, and parts. At this stage in my life: 1) I encourage my friends to vote (I still only get one vote); 2) I can give more in and out of my state; 3) have enough ammo to shoot for 3 years without buying anything (but now I can't move to a new home cuz I have too much shit to move).

It took this thread and one on another forum to expose to me how many people bought ammo at Walmart. I honestly had no clue. I don't know anyone that buys their ammo at Walmart. Of course, I have a Sportsman's Warehouse, and Cabelas, and a Bass Pro Shop to choose from AND two excellent suppliers of discount ammo.

Part of the problem is Wal*Mart’s ubiquity. I think a lot of the people who would rightfully be offended by this don’t have a lot of alternatives.

I find WM to be reprehensible, but then I always have. I can count on one dick the number of times I’ve been in one in the last 20 years; but I Amazon anything I can’t get at the grocery store. Not everyone can.

I don’t know that it’s calculated, but it is at least unfortunate that this is happening at a time when the NRA is weakened.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    This. Ten times, this.

I have made a conscious effort not to ever, even jokingly, threaten anyone for fear of how it could be twisted in court, and it's just rude. Even with that history, part of my family is worried about what red flag laws will mean for men like me. The other half of my family is silent, probably programming the Feebs' number into the iPhones, salivating as they wait for legislation to be passed.

As for Walmart, they took a hard left turn as soon as the Old Man stepped down years ago. It's just gotten progressively wore. They have been smart enough to recognize their market, but I guess now the execs and family want to virtue signal to their best buddies, thinking they are too big to fail. Screw 'em. Didn't personally shop there before because it's too far too walk for a tube of toothpaste. Just laid the recent truth on the wife, and she said it before I did - "well, no more shopping at Walmart."
    Politically we need to continue voting and writing our representatives. Socially we need to lead by example. If you carry, make it as invisible as possible. Be as polite as you possibly can be. If firearms/2A comes up in conversation listen first to understand and then respond, remain polite, and communicate with love and kindness.

We’re not going to get much of a positive platform with which we can extoll the virtues of gun ownership in this country. Therefore we must, each of us, be as positive a representative of such things as humanly possible. Some people we will never be able to ‘suade to our side. Some we may. Regardless of the outcome we can at least do our best to break the mold of perception that gun owners are simply derptastic rednecks that haven’t got more than a couple of brain cells to rub together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My local Walmart is a great place to shop. Just yesterday I saved about 5 bucks (vs Kroger) buying shampoo and shaving supplies. Groceries are cheaper by dollars. One of the things I rarely bought at Walmart was ammo, because it's usually impossible to track down the employee with the key, and I have zero patience.

Not sure what I'm going to do.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    And now Kroger.

Kroger asks customers to stop openly carrying guns in stores

Kroger is respectfully asking that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores, other than authorized law enforcement officers,” Jessica Adelman, who serves as group vice president of corporate affairs, said in a statement to Reuters on Tuesday afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT
    “We are also joining those encouraging our elected leaders to pass laws that will strengthen background checks and remove weapons from those who have been found to pose a risk for violence,” she continued.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Part of the problem is Wal*Mart’s ubiquity. I think a lot of the people who would rightfully be offended by this don’t have a lot of alternatives.

I find WM to be reprehensible, but then I always have. I can count on one dick the number of times I’ve been in one in the last 20 years; but I Amazon anything I can’t get at the grocery store. Not everyone can.

I don’t know that it’s calculated, but it is at least unfortunate that this is happening at a time when the NRA is weakened.
    In rural areas, the totality of shopping choices are often Wal-Mart or Dollar General. This was especially true before the rise of Amazon and Internet shopping. A small town that gets a Wal-Mart has in some ways been put on the map.

My wife and I have considered moving a bit further out when I retire, and we were looking at a home just east of Anderson, AL (population ~300). One of the things that stopped the move is that Internet access on the property is limited to satellite providers or a cellular provider. The cellular provider speed on AT&T on the property is 4G; there is no Verizon coverage. Without a good ISP, online shopping is not possible, and stores like Wal-Mart are lifelines. The nearest Wal-Mart is twenty-five miles away from where the property is.

User Tag List