Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer wins Army next generation weapon contract

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I wonder if the General Dynamics and AAI options are also 6.8 or if they are 6.5.

I wonder if this means the 6.5 Creedmoor is no mas for big Army?
    6.8 was a requirement. The Army specified a projectile, but not a cartridge.

I don’t think this affects 6.5CM’s future in precision rifle applications one bit, at least not in the near term.

Site Supporter

Sig Sauer wins Army next generation weapon contract

For the color thing, I’m pretty sure that’s big army catching in to the fact that there aren’t many big black blobs many places. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that the M110 SASS was one of the first weapons fielded that wasn’t black at adoption. Even then it was pretty much “any earth tone that isn’t black.”

Quote Originally Posted by MIL-PRF-32316
    3.5.1.3 Exterior surfaces. The SASS surfaces shall be dull/non-reflective. This includes all surfaces (i.e. pins, bolts, lanyards, sight posts, etc.). The external color shall be tan, gray-green, gray or taupe to accommodate various camouflage combinations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 09-03-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

I liked this movie better the first time I saw it. Does Hollywood really have to reboot everything?

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I for one would like to see some kryptec nomad rifles, but then again if you drop your rifle you're f' ed

Site Supporter
    I think a lot of the military spending / projects has to do with a “get it while you can” attitude.

Obama definitely was willing to cut funding.
    Last edited by BWT; 09-03-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

The Soldiers Systems article indicates at least one design is a bullpup and that the Marines want such a design. While I get the benefits of a bullpup rifle... and love my AUG... I recall the nations who went with a bullpup largely have dropped it for the M4 or similar right? And even when in service the SOF units chose the M4 over their mass issued bullpups. Can anyone shed light on why? I’ve never served in the Infantry so maybe there’s a reason bullpups don’t last that isn’t obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    The Soldiers Systems article indicates at least one design is a bullpup and that the Marines want such a design. While I get the benefits of a bullpup rifle... and love my AUG... I recall the nations who went with a bullpup largely have dropped it for the M4 or similar right? And even when in service the SOF units chose the M4 over their mass issued bullpups. Can anyone shed light on why? I’ve never served in the Infantry so maybe there’s a reason bullpups don’t last that isn’t obvious to me.
    The only ones I can think of who've switched over to a conventional layout for general issue are the French. FAMAS to HK416.

The Brits are still using their piece of shit, the Aussies and Austrians the AUG, Israel (TAR-21) and Singapore (SAR-21) actually switching to bullpups in the last decade or two. Israel using M4s in addition to the Tavor is more a result of US aid as opposed to an actual preference...….free trumps paying.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-03-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The only ones I can think of who've switched over to a conventional layout for general issue are the French. FAMAS to HK416.

The Brits are still using their piece of shit, the Aussies and Austrians the AUG, Israel (TAR-21) and Singapore (SAR-21) actually switching to bullpups in the last decade or two. Israel using M4s in addition to the Tavor is more a result of US aid as opposed to an actual preference...….free trumps paying.
    Well damn. For some reason I thought the Brits had dumped the L85’s. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Well damn. For some reason I thought the Brits had dumped the L85’s. Thanks.
    Any Brit unit that can dump the L85 for Colt Canada M4 variants does so.

The Brits are too cheap to dump them completely. They are rebuilding them again with keymod rails...

Despite my irrational fondness for the AUG, bullpups in general suck.

NZ also dumped bullpups (AUGs) for an LMT Piston M4.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-04-2019 at 01:02 AM.

1. I know there is at least one exception, but bull pups typically aren’t ambi friendly.

2. A catastrophic failure with a bull pup is more dangerous to the user.

3. Triggers are usually bad due to linkage.

User Tag List