Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer wins Army next generation weapon contract

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Why the 6.8? The media, Beto, and even General McChrystal have been telling me that the 556/223 is the most powerful and lethal bullet ever invented?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    In a contract like that one, wouldn't there be a specification as to where the weapons and the small parts would be produced?
    DFARS and the “Preference for Domestic Specialty Metals” will guide that one. FWIW, India (to my knowledge) isn’t on the list of qualified countries for DFARS compliance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I suspect that anyone who thinks that the Army will be using 5.56mm carbines into the 2030s will win the betting pools.
    How much do I win, again?

Is it too early to announce my early retirement?

I wonder if the General Dynamics and AAI options are also 6.8 or if they are 6.5.

I wonder if this means the 6.5 Creedmoor is no mas for big Army?

This is further clarification on who was selected and what the next steps are for the new M4 and M249 replacements.

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/08/30...e-m249-and-m4/

Is there a reason every military weapon has to be FDE? Does the military just assume now that every battle will be fought in the desert?

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    Is there a reason every military weapon has to be FDE? Does the military just assume now that every battle will be fought in the desert?
    Not sure where else we are going to be fighting over the next 30 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Everyplace has dirt.

Tan or green the big thing is that it is not black as black is rare in nature and this is a target indicator. Black also stands out under IR illumination.

Site Supporter
    Yes, camouflage. FDE works reasonably well in every environment. Think about how well deer and cougars blend into both woodland and arid environments. Black is a poor color for hiding things.

ETA: dang it, HCM must type faster that me.

One final edit to add: People who didn’t want to be shot have been painting rifles since at least WWI. “Tradition” is a stupid reason to have un-camoflaged weapons.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 09-03-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Sig Sauer wins Army next generation weapon contract

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Why the 6.8? The media, Beto, Walmart and even General McChrystal have been telling me that the 556/223 is the most powerful and lethal bullet ever invented?

FIFY
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 09-03-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List