Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sig Sauer wins Army next generation weapon contract

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    1. I know there is at least one exception, but bull pups typically aren’t ambi friendly.

2. A catastrophic failure with a bull pup is more dangerous to the user.

3. Triggers are usually bad due to linkage.
    #1 is real, especially in urban/house clearing sorts of scenarios it's damn useful to be able to switch firing sides as needed.

#2 I've never seen or heard of in operational use, and personally I believe it's a statistically insignificant possibility for an organic bullpup design like the AUG or F2000. Stuffing a Mini-14 into a Muzzlite bullpup stock changes those variables IMHO.

#3 should be speed and ease of magazine changes. With practice you can get decently quick on an AUG, but the same practice/effort on an M4 will be measurably faster, especially when prone or otherwise low behind cover.

#4 would be the trigger pull problems. It isn't always a problem as the AUG trigger can be very effectively upgraded and other newer designs like the Kel Tec RDB have solved the trigger (and ambi) problems, but are suspect for other reasons.

IMHO, the only issue that can't be solved from improved/innovative bullpup design is the magazine change speed.
    But speaking from an institutional level, if I were buying for a military application I'd take the proven solution with well known capabilities and shortcomings over the bleeding edge every time.

The primary objectives set forth by the U.S. Army for the NGSW-AR was a weapon with the firepower and range of a machine gun, coupled with the precision and ergonomics of a rifle. The SIG SAUER NGSW-AR submission is an ultra-light, medium caliber machine gun with AR ergonomics, and chambered in 6.8mm hybrid ammunition. Features include quick detach magazines, side opening feed tray, increased available 1913 rail space for night vision and enablers, folding buttstock, and suppressor.
    It's great when a rifle has rail space for night vision, cause it's the most important thing nowadays in my opinion.

And talking of night vision weapon sights, I just wonder, would a model called AGM WOLVERINE-4 NL3 ( one from here: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/ ) be well fitted to this rifle, or not? Did anybody try any night vision sights on this rifle model? Or it's too early to say, and we all have to wait for full production process?
    Last edited by juniors413; 12-11-2019 at 05:29 PM.

User Tag List