Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: "Why the .45 ACP Failed"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Post shooting medical examination can show how much damage was done but that's after the incident. I'm much more interested in the effect on target at the moment of the incident. Am I wrong here?...is that info even reliably available?

Thanks
    Observationally via dash and body cam.

But that is unreliable because of other factors like psychological stops etc.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-22-2019 at 02:31 PM.

The Use-of-Force Continuum

The above mention topic is taught to LE, DOC, and other agencies where the use-of-force incidents will occur. It is a good read for civilians too. It might not be quite apples to apples comparison when it comes to civilians, but it will give you an idea of what LE has looking over their shoulder in a use of force investigation. A very informative read.

https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/use-force-continuum
    Last edited by JAH 3rd; 09-22-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    The above mention topic is taught to LE, DOC, and other agencies where the use-of-force incidents will occur. It is a good read for civilians too. It might not be quite apples to apples comparison when it comes to civilians, but it will give you an idea of what LE has looking over their shoulder in a use of force investigation. A very informative read.

https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/use-force-continuum
    Did you mean for this to be in a different thread?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

It's ok if you need to move it. I have no idea how many non-LE people read the LE thread, so I posted it here in an effort to reach more people. I was following up on post #199 since it was LE related.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    It's ok if you need to move it. I have no idea how many non-LE people read the LE thread, so I posted it here in an effort to reach more people. I was following up on post #199 since it was LE related.
    Ah, ok. When you said "above" I didn't realize you meant that far above and wasn't tracking.

FWIW, that continuum of force and the "plus one" has mostly fallen by the way side and is no longer considered 'best practice'. This thread probably isn't the best place for a more indepth discussion, but if folks care we can do it in the LE subforum.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my postings. If you can put an updated policy on the LE forum, I will gladly follow it. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I was reading up on bullseye target loads for the. 45 acp. Not surprisingly, I found quite a few. So I loaded up some 200 grain SWC over 4.3 grains of Bullseye powder. In my G41 it's a really soft shooting load.

A number of people carry 148 grain WC in their J-frame, so if someone was carrying a compact. 45 pistol, G36, Colt defender etc. Would a 200 SWC target load be equivalent to the j-frame with 148 WC?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I was reading up on bullseye target loads for the. 45 acp. Not surprisingly, I found quite a few. So I loaded up some 200 grain SWC over 4.3 grains of Bullseye powder. In my G41 it's a really soft shooting load.

A number of people carry 148 grain WC in their J-frame, so if someone was carrying a compact. 45 pistol, G36, Colt defender etc. Would a 200 SWC target load be equivalent to the j-frame with 148 WC?

I follow your logic, but it's sort of backwards. The whole idea behind carrying wadcutters in a j-frame is that you're already carried a platform whose terminal ballistics are compromised, so carrying wadcutters optimizes penetration while make a difficult to shoot gun as easy to shoot as possible. If someone is carry a G36 and they're asking about a 200 gr SWC, I'm going to look at them with some skeptical hippo eyes and say "or you could carry a G26 with Critical Duty."

Site Supporter
    I agree as well, just a thought experiment if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    So I loaded up some 200 grain SWC over 4.3 grains of Bullseye powder. In my G41 it's a really soft shooting load.
    Maybe not so much about carry, but more practice with the same carry gun with less discomfort. A good friend that is 78yo is still quite competent with, and continues to carry, the Commanders he has been practicing with every week since before we met forty years ago. While others his age (and me!) have transitioned to 9mm he has just backed off to 200g bullets and is doing just fine.

User Tag List